Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 600035 times)

Zelphir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.1a] 'Junk Pirates' (now including ASP Syndicate and P.A.C.K.)
« Reply #390 on: November 24, 2014, 09:16:33 PM »

don't get me wrong I think your ships look good but something about the way the armor is textured makes it look organic, almost alien to me. good mod, good onto you, good in your life.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 25, 2014, 02:39:31 AM »

Hey there mendonca! I really loved your ships in Uomoz's Sector, and I miss them now that I switched to SS+. Any chance you might consider making your factions compatible with SS+ as well?

Frankly, I have no idea how hard it is or even if it should be done from your end or SS+ one, but I figured I'd ask anyway in case it turn out to be something within your control and not that difficult :)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 25, 2014, 05:19:04 AM »

Hey there mendonca! I really loved your ships in Uomoz's Sector, and I miss them now that I switched to SS+. Any chance you might consider making your factions compatible with SS+ as well?

Frankly, I have no idea how hard it is or even if it should be done from your end or SS+ one, but I figured I'd ask anyway in case it turn out to be something within your control and not that difficult :)

That's good to hear - and that would be great!  :)

I talked briefly about it with Dark.Revenant a few weeks before the latest update hit, hopefully it's something I can work towards.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 25, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »

If you activate it alongside SS+ it functions, they just don't have interactions with the other mod-races. Thanks for the update man! Really glad to see these guys back in action.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 25, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »

Thanks Wriath, I'll try to, though I definitely hope for a full integration :)

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 05, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »

Heya, I am new to this mod and having an issue with Star Sector +. I just wanted to run this by the creators of this mod pack to see if maybe it was affecting the game's economy.

In Ursulo there is a system called Yogi. It has 3 food for sale at 23 credits, where elsewhere in the game food is in much more demand at a higher price. The market screen says that 100% of the demand is met by local supply and stockpiles, and it is selling the excess (of 3 food).

Using this as an example, I just want to ask if this is normal and acceptable for the economy? I don't know how it works so well, but I'm just trying to figure out what is making my playthroughs of SS+ so difficult. Thanks!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 06, 2014, 06:12:56 AM »

It doesn't sound unreasonable ... Yogi is an industrialised terran planet with a small population, it can feed itself adequately, doesn't have high demand and so won't have high prices, i guess it's just (un)fortunate that there is a small excess and not a large excess like some of the other food producing planets.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 06, 2014, 12:36:22 PM »

Hello Mendonca, thank's for the reply!

Yea, it makes perfect sense that it would not be a planet known for producing much food; I just have a poor understanding of how the eco works in this game because I expect it to be more simple than it actually is!

I like the mod so far, although I don't usually come into contact with those who live on those two moons. Or actually, I don't really come into contact with any of the three factions yet.. But I appreciate their existence in my game!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 08, 2014, 12:17:57 AM »

I can't say I fully understand the economy, so my assertions are mostly guesswork.

I did deliberately keep most markets relatively small such that the mod has a fairly limited impact overall on the state of the systems. The three factions in this pack are also not supposed to be particularly powerful, so it's good that you rarely come across them. The exception would be ASP, I guess, who are locally (within Ursulo) pretty powerful in that they operate a relatively big market.

I'd be very interested to hear any particular specific feedback you may have on the mod, if you have any opinions either way :)

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 08, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »

I can do a large write-up if you'd like. I do have some things that really stick out in my mind though.

Biggest thing is i don't recall seeing any military markets in the top 3 system (York Urslo or Brehini). It makes it harder to buy the cruisers or capitals. The next biggest thing is ASP doesn't seem to have enemies spawn in their system so you can't push relations above 50 (from trade). If you're willing to tank relations with hedge you can get JP to 100 in York. I haven't been to Canis yet so don't know if you can get them above 50.

The Diamondback is the best cargoship for frigate swarms. It doesn't fight as well as the hound, but has more room. It's really great. I usually try to get one ASAP. The only downside of the diamondback is the overhead: .25 supplies per day from crew. I really like the other ASP ships too. Like a highish-medium tech versions of the venture but at different sizes than the venture. Good all around ships. Though you probably don't want your main combat force to be ASP ships.

The Hammerhead(?) frigate is probably the ultimate Fire-support ship. You get 2 medium missile mounts for so little cost. It does die easily in a melee, but it's worth the cost of micromanaging. In general the JP ships are good at one thing but a little lackluster overall. Which i think may be the goal. They're on average better than buffalo2 though so they're not helpless. Their strange layouts make it a little hard for me to use though. The ai seems fairly happy with them however. I really like the integrated weapons; they seem pretty balanced, and feel good to use.

Two JP weapons really fall flat. The scatter PD and the grape family of launchers. Neither does enough damage to be good fragmentation weapons. The scatter is an awful PD weapon i prefer even regular PD laser over it. It misses too much. It feels kinda like the vulcan did before it was buffed. The grape spread is too wide in my opinion, and when it does hit it's doing painfully small amounts of damage after even 100 points of armor most fighters have. Furthermore fighters mostly dodge all the shrapnel anyway (hence thinking too much spread). Frigates have an easy time of dodging most of the shrapnel too.

The eximer and cutlass feel like the energy equivalants of the AC and arbalest. Rather undesirable, but if the only ones available then they'll have to make do. They're bad against armor due to being beam weapons. Hence the comparison to kinetic ballistic weapons. They are much more OP expensive than their ballistic counterparts however. They're fine for outlaw types I suppose.

I'm not near my PC and can't recall the other weapons in JunkPirates.

I haven't really used PACK ships since i'd seen them in Uomoz's sector in .62. I can't give any meaningful feedback.

Outside of mechanical effectiveness i love the thematic naming. The snakey names for ASP (which i like is a name for a subcatagory of snakes). The bear names for Urslo (which sounds like ursus-more bearness). The oceanic creature names in JP. The canid names for PACK. It's all great. I might have missed more themes, but the ones i have found make me smile. It's a nice touch.

That's all i can tell you from memory. If you'd like a more detailed amount of feedback i'll take notes (my memory is underwhelming). It might take a little while though, because it's a little hard to get enough ships from this mod to be your primary force.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 09, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts, it's all great :)

The Hammer is an absolute beast in this version. 2 Pilums and fast missile racks make pretty short work of just about anything without having to risk the fragile rear-end. I noticed how easy it was to 'pop' enforcers with this simple little ship. I think it needs a rethink with the recent missile buff, at such a small and cheap ship.

I hear what you are saying re. military markets, and I'm not sure whether I will put them in. Perhaps the Junk Pirates should have one - it would explain why they can maintain a certain amount of dominance in that region of space. Basically I don't think universal access to all ships (just because) is that much fun - I like limits, and balance - and by just adding the military base so that you can buy the ships you want to fly is not (for me) enough of a reason on it's own.

I guess I would be happier coding in a lore-coherent equivalent which doesn't give a +2 stability, but opens up a market on good relations that gives access to the same sort of stuff. On the other hand, if you want the ships - you can (try) and take them! I'll definitely give it some thought.

The scatter PD is probably way behind where it was a few versions ago (where it seemed to be okay in terms of PD vs pilums, if not for anything else). I'll take a look at that as well.

Grapeshot probably got left behind as well, relative to the other missile slots. I'll take a look, but I'm not altogether unhappy with it - for what it is.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 18, 2015, 01:56:24 AM »

Another version; uploading as it is in order to get something out there that represents a coherent version.

- Shaderlib support should now be back in. This version REQUIRES shaderlib.
- Canis should be a lot more interesting - added Jameson Orbital pirate base (with military market); made Port Revive (TT) more interesting with local conditions. Petra added military market - Which side are you on?
- York should now be a bit more interesting; Christchurch and Dartmouth are more functional and distinct as economies.
- Added a few market conditions:
  * Active Militia (Military Base on a smaller scale; adds military market, lower demand increases, doesn't increase stability)
  * Cryoculture (Food production to the ice worlds with Hab-tubes; Glory and Dartmouth)
  * Research Outpost (Port Revive generates some demand of research based materials, and adds stability)
  * Junk Yard (Shipbreaking on a smaller scale)

- The PACK and JPs now have available military markets. It's relatively difficult to access the JP one due to the limited activity in Brehinni; unless you want to mess with the Hegemony in York? PACK are much easier now - you could mess with the pirates in Canis and quickly get access to the market(s).
- Missions fixed
- Fighters balanced (Thanks to DR for the help in that)
- Other Ships (particularly freighters) now rebalanced to fit closer to 6.5.1a norms. Most ship costs amended. e.g. Octoopus and Scythe are no longer the super cheap super freighters they once were.

GET IT WHILE ITS HOT!!!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66536185/junk_pirates230.zip
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:59:12 AM by mendonca »

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile

HECK YEAH. Was just about to suggest some military markets for them :)

Tommy

• Commander
    • View Profile

Using the new version, this happens:

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Ah, sorry about that. Obviously that one evaded my testing ...

Stick the attached file in ./starsector/mods/JP_RC/data/lights/. and overwrite the file as a short term fix before I get a chance to update ... I had incorrectly pathed the materials and normals for the ion drone ...

Thank you for pointing that out, I appreciate it, let me know if there are any other issues.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 48