Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 597006 times)

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - New Ships and Missions mod for 0.5a
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »

This seems like a silly question, but is there a reason most of these ships have something silly like .3flux/damage shield ratios?
They need rebalancing. In starfarer 0.35 the shield damage was lower for all ships

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2012, 12:46:49 AM »

This seems like a silly question, but is there a reason most of these ships have something silly like .3flux/damage shield ratios?
They need rebalancing. In starfarer 0.35 the shield damage was lower for all ships

Oh, yeah. I totally missed this. Thanks for pointing it out. This probably helps to explain why, all other things being equal, the ships are seeming to be so survivable  :-[

@Ghoti, thanks for the feedback. This is awesome.

Any thoughts about shifting the scatterpd to 'Fragmentation' damage? Would still be an amazing finisher, and better pd, but not quite the all round up-close killing machine that it is at present ... ? Would probably suit the 4 OP cost a bit better, as well, which maybe does seem low.

With the feedback, and a bit more playing around in the campaign, I'm considering nerfing the Cutlass again, probably bring the damage per shot down a few points, make it less useful slightly against armor, while still keeping the OP cost.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2012, 01:38:30 AM »

Wait, don't rebalance the shields! In my opinion, this makes them on-par with other craft. The frigates tend to die quickly otherwise, as all the JP weapons have high flux cost, and the JP ships tend to overload fast. The shield efficiency is something that makes the ships unique, and I always thought that it was due to having some secret design for better shields or something similarly valuable that allowed the faction to survive.

On another note, I LOVE the Hammer. The inward-angled front hardpoints are COOL, because they limit you from mounting longer-range weapons like Autocannons. The medium missile mounts did kind of bug me, because the medium-sized missile options are not really suited to use against smaller craft (Pilum or Typhoon Reaper). I found that a wondrously-effective solution was to mount Annihilators, and use the extra OP on Extended Shields and Expanded Missile Racks. This worked great in combination with mounting three Dual Light MG's in the ballistic slots. It quickly takes down fighters one at a time, and the Annihilators can be used against practically anything! Combine with Augmented Engines, and you could hunt down faster craft, and tear them to pieces with rockets once the MG's downed their engines.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »

fragmentation damage would make sense. I forget the formulas, but it's like 25% nerf to everything except hull? That would bring it down to about 125 dps.

Compare: Vulcan cannon.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »

Much agreed, changing the Scatter PD to frag damage would really balance it.

Also, Junk Pirates being what they are, might we see a melee weapon or two on their ships? Or a melee fighter? If it did exist, I presume that it would be kinetic damage.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2012, 09:10:14 AM »

Much agreed, changing the Scatter PD to frag damage would really balance it.

Also, Junk Pirates being what they are, might we see a melee weapon or two on their ships? Or a melee fighter? If it did exist, I presume that it would be kinetic damage.
giant red axe flying around  ???

(jk dont hate)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:25 AM »

Actually, it would be cool to see a smaller ship that has a high mass and high speed. It would have low OP's, and a good shield. I am thinking a modification of the Clam, like with barely any weaponry but powerful engines. And yeah, I could see it being the Axe-Class Melee Frigate.

Not kidding, what do people think of this? Mendonca?

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »

It will need a heavily armored prow like a beak for ramming.

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2012, 02:45:53 AM »

I think the light excimer is a bit overpowered, respect to the burst pd laser the only drawback is 100 less range. But has more dps, is more flux efficient and cost 2 op less

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:15 AM »

Langoustine has a shield damage of 0.3, only hyperion and omen are below 0.6

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »

Thank you, Apophis.

I missed that one on the Langoustine, I was sure I had bumped that back in line.

And yeah, the Excimer wasn't meant to be that good. I'm having a play with it now.

E: 104 - Langoustine shield error now fixed, excimer received a significant flux penalty, plus a slight damage nerf.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:59:56 AM by mendonca »

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 29, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »

You added the generators.csv again.

Had me wondering why on earth someone couldn't get your mod to work with mine suddenly, until I downloaded your latest version and saw that.  ::)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 29, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »

Well that wasn't very clever of me, was it  :-[

Uploaded one that doesn't have it in .... apologies ...

ClosetGoth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »

Okay, looks like I have to rescue the thread, because a week without posts is a long time on the internet  ;)

So, does anyone have any comments about existing ships? Any recommendations for new ships? (By the way, I am still hoping/waiting for some feedback about the idea of a JP melee frigate!)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2012, 11:39:16 PM »

any word on whether or not this works for .51? well im about to find out ill post here if it still works without any editing ( alex said SOME mods would)

edit: nope doesn't work. sectorgen. something or something breaks on start. i know its junk pirates because when i disabled it it worked.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:45:49 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 48