Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Bug Report - Colonies Decivilize despite Stabilization  (Read 838 times)

T1MM5H

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Bug Report - Colonies Decivilize despite Stabilization
« on: August 15, 2019, 09:12:23 PM »

Hello, first post here.
So, i recently learned (through hardship) that you can lose colonies due to extremely low stability for extended periods of time. In my case, this was due to unchecked pirate activity in a colonized system of mine. So, i received the "Deteriorating" Intel Message, saying my planet would soon decivilize and be lost to me, unless i stabilized it. Thankfully, i had money on-hand, and stabilized the planet up to 6 Stability. So, imagine my surprise, when about a month later, the planet decivilized! Shocked, i reloaded a save and tried again. Decivilzed. Then, i thought, maybe i can cheese this out by quickly abandoning and re-setteling the colony. No dice, however the stability was not even zero on the "new" colony, and i never received another "Deteriorating" Message. This leads me to believe, that, once a Planet has been marked as "Deteriorating", for some reason, it becomes impossible to avert its decivilization, even when raising stability above zero. Perhaps a variable check is missing on whatever code decides whether the decivilization was averted in time, so instead once the "Deteriorating" Modifier is applied, it always goes through? What confuses me however is that, despite not being a Planetary Modifier, it goes through, even if a colony is abandoned and re-founded.
Is this a bug or is this supposed to happen?
Any others experiencing this problem?
Sincerely, a Spacer

PS: I tried the recolonization trick again, this time waiting out the month it took for decivilization to take hold before recolonizing, and it worked! Still lost a large amount of money. This means that the "Deteriorating" Event will go trough, unless it finds no colony, in which case i assume it just doesn't do anything. Still miffed that the Problem is about to hit one of my best conlonies, and i can't do squat about it. Hey Devs, please drop o Hotfix on this stinky issue, so the people of Loth don't end up murdering eachother!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Report - Colonies Decivilize despite Stabilization
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:18:08 PM »

Thank you for the report! Fixed for the next release.

(The issue was with how often it samples what the colony's stability is. Basically, in your case, it was decivilizing before it could register that the colony's stability was > 0. The fix is to also check the current stability; should've been doing that to begin with as a sanity-check.)