Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Download as zip  (Read 1622 times)

akicebear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Download as zip
« on: August 15, 2019, 08:36:05 PM »

Is it possible to provide the game as a zip file, rather than EXE installer? I ask because I'm unable to use the latter on the work machine I take on business trips. Games like RimWorld provide a zip, which I've found I am able to use the included application without issue.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Download as zip
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »

Hi! As a workaround: if you're able to install the game on another computer, you can copy the installation folder and move it to another location or another machine without issue.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 09:28:24 PM »

Out of curiosity, can't you just open the .exe file using 7-zip or the such?  I've just been able to do that now - open the Starsector install .exe with 7-zip, drag and drop the files into a folder, and it runs.  Or if it's an issue with downloading .exe files (I'm not familiar with how your business handles their PCs), then what Alex says is probably the best workaround.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

akicebear

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 12:17:44 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll try installing elsewhere and copying ahead of the next trip. Unfortunately this machine doesn't let me run the downloaded version of 7zip to extract the EXE (didn't know that trick). No idea why it plays nice with a downloaded RimWorld exe, but I'll take that for the next few weeks I guess!