Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Some kind of a morale system for the fleet  (Read 645 times)

Mai Bhalsych

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Some kind of a morale system for the fleet
« on: August 15, 2019, 04:33:41 AM »

Whenever I lose a ship and become over crew capacity, those people immediately gets a nice, clear, unobstructed view of the nearest heavenly body (there's no ship hull in between the lucky man and the unforgiving pull of a black hole). Of course it's almost likely they will get this preferential treatment since there is only negatives of being over crew capacity. How about while giving a maximum combat readiness reduction debuff, since they would be taking up space they shouldn't be, and the extra supplies cost debuff, there is a buff for slower drain on combat readiness while in combat; a longer peak performance since the life of their comrades are on their shoulders and they are motivated to live even more? Of course this buff should likely have a short duration, say a few weeks of ingame time, and only activating after a fight and becoming over crew capacity and not from suddenly hiring a lot of people than the fleet can handle while on a planet just for the buff, and when only the fleet becomes over crew capacity after a fight and not be over crew capacity from the start. The fleet just lost a ship, fortunately some people lived through the destruction of their vessel, after that massive fight am I just going to eject people out just because they cause my fleet to eat more lucky charms every day? of course

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Some kind of a morale system for the fleet
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »

CR is basically crew ready-ness and moral as it is.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Some kind of a morale system for the fleet
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »

CR is basically crew ready-ness and moral as it is.

I think Mai was implying a more nuanced crew system, since there's currently no buff for having more crew than necessary (other than being able to quickly replace combat crew losses) while there are debuffs for having too few crew members (lowered CR) or too many over max crew cap (extra supply usage). Right now it's just another resource like supplies or fuel, where only "having enough" matters and there are no benefits to keeping a stock above-needs - with the added debuff (at least for early game while money can be tight) that crew also costs monthly salary.

I think making it that nuanced would add too much complexity for no real gain, but I could see a potential argument for maybe having extra crew over the minimum either contribute to a small in-combat buff for your fleet (quicker weapon/engine repairs, longer PPT, etc) or an increase in CR regain speed or decrease in supply cost outside combat.