Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hyperspace Storms: Unfun or Necessary?  (Read 21096 times)

Hellya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace Storms: Unfun or Necessary?
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »

A handful of supplies is not accurate at all and I max travel skills out.
I've danced around in a storm with a petty 25x ship destroyer fleet. Damage from storms is around 5-10 supplies per hit, and there's a considerable cooldown between fleet hits.  Maybe modded or ultra huge fleets have real concerns, but I don't see anything wrong with calling it a handful of resources at that scale.

The scaling danger is great because it means that jumbo monster fleets aren't the end all of fleet design. Travelling light has its perks too, and being safer in hyperspace is a good perk to have. On the downside it limits what you can find in hyperspace. There can't be jumbo huge fleets waiting in the storms to ambush you, because they would also get obliterated by storms.

Take off the solar shielding, I hate forced mods to make the game playable. I don't run monster fleets, one explorer capital and several destroyers.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »

Take off the solar shielding, I hate forced mods to make the game playable. I don't run monster fleets, one explorer capital and several destroyers.
Ah, ya caught on to my game! After removing a total of 3 solar shields from my dram tankers, I now take 6-12 damage from solar storms. I think I saw a 15 happen maybe once? This fleet has Safety Procedures 2, but most of the time my CR gets 1-shotted to 0%. I'm not a mathamagician, but I don't think getting half-shotted to 0% will make a huge difference. SP2 is making a clear difference on the combat destroyers, by getting hit for 8-12 instead of double that. Colossus cargo cruisers don't have any noticeable price spike.

The damage from solar storms does exist, but it's absolutely not a stone wall at the destroyer fleet level. Sometimes getting zapped is even profitable, thanks to saving on fuel and travel time.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »

In my current game there is a large hyperspace lane that is free from any clouds that takes me right from my capital to the sectors core.

It's very handy and makes me wish I could draw on the map to highlight it, or that I could make the clouds on the map more defined to show where they really are rather then vaguely.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Null Ganymede

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2019, 06:22:50 AM »

The only problem with hyperspace storms is the background simulation doesn't take them into account for colony defense. So an awesome space route to allied systems with a hellscape towards hostile ones only affects the player, not invasion fleets...

Hellya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2019, 06:23:00 PM »

Ah, ya caught on to my game! After removing a total of 3 solar shields from my dram tankers, I now take 6-12 damage from solar storms. I think I saw a 15 happen maybe once? This fleet has Safety Procedures 2, but most of the time my CR gets 1-shotted to 0%. I'm not a mathamagician, but I don't think getting half-shotted to 0% will make a huge difference. SP2 is making a clear difference on the combat destroyers, by getting hit for 8-12 instead of double that. Colossus cargo cruisers don't have any noticeable price spike.

The damage from solar storms does exist, but it's absolutely not a stone wall at the destroyer fleet level. Sometimes getting zapped is even profitable, thanks to saving on fuel and travel time.

I am not sure why you think 12 units per hit is a small amount for a toy destroyer fleet. That is thousands of dollars per hit for a crappy little fleet that won't stand a chance against a real fleet. Not even a proper exploration fleet.

Ya, lets just say that small fleets are punished by combat deployment hits and large are punished by just existing in hyperspace and deployment. Actually, it doesn't have to be large, a ship just has to be larger than a destroyer. Sorry exploration Apogee, you are not good for exploration because storms hurt you too much. Seems silly to me.

Hyperspace could be fun, right now it is just a chore. I am not saying storms shouldn't be in game. I can see it being the start of something interesting. I am saying they are not fun the way they are. Add some uses outside a storm the damages a hull, real deep space fleets, space whales, Thanos... I don't really care, just something beside lightning every few seconds.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2019, 06:48:13 PM »

I am not sure why you think 12 units per hit is a small amount for a toy destroyer fleet. That is thousands of dollars per hit for a crappy little fleet that won't stand a chance against a real fleet. Not even a proper exploration fleet.
Yes, and? I say it's a minor hit because it's a minor hit. The game starts you with missions that pull in $50k or more. Getting whacked for $1k is not a big deal. It's even less of a deal for a tiny fleet that can burn $20k/month on simply existing (fleets typically cost WAY more, mind you) and roughly $2k for every day in hyperspace. Of course these expenses don't really get represented on the payroll screen, so only the big bad hyperspace lightning gets the hate.

If you want to talk about incredibly punishing supply costs, spend 30 seconds sunbathing in a neutron star. Even a tiny fleet gets baked for maximum expense.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:50:57 PM by bobucles »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2019, 08:09:16 PM »

A 25x destroyer fleet can handle all but the largest enemy fleets. It might take a few losses just because destroyers can't tank that many shots and a rogue burn driving Onslaught or a concentrated bomber barrage might get a few kills, but its certainly not weak.

Hellya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2019, 11:21:49 PM »

A 25x destroyer fleet can handle all but the largest enemy fleets. It might take a few losses just because destroyers can't tank that many shots and a rogue burn driving Onslaught or a concentrated bomber barrage might get a few kills, but its certainly not weak.

Where did you get 25 destroyer fleet? That is pretty far off the mark from what bob is saying.

Anyway, so the game should be changed from starsector to destroyer fleet sector. This is what I am hearing. Just don't use anything but destroyers.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2019, 04:12:06 AM »

Spoiler
A handful of supplies is not accurate at all and I max travel skills out.
[close]
I've danced around in a storm with a petty 25x ship destroyer fleet. Damage from storms is around 5-10 supplies per hit, and there's a considerable cooldown between fleet hits.  Maybe modded or ultra huge fleets have real concerns, but I don't see anything wrong with calling it a handful of resources at that scale.

The scaling danger is great because it means that jumbo monster fleets aren't the end all of fleet design. Travelling light has its perks too, and being safer in hyperspace is a good perk to have. On the downside it limits what you can find in hyperspace. There can't be jumbo huge fleets waiting in the storms to ambush you, because they would also get obliterated by storms.

Bobuncles typed the numbers of ships. So we can talk with utter certainty that bobuncles is talking about 25 destroyers, whether or not we disagree with him or not.

Meanwhile for you, what is on earth is a "toy destroyer fleet" or "several destroyers". How many ships is that?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:43:39 AM by Plantissue »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2019, 04:19:02 AM »

I suppose in the end, it's hard to call being punished in a game fun.

It does give you something to actually do in hyperspace at least, as without them you'd mostly just be waiting for something to happen on long journeys. At least in systems that kinda make sense as space is big and full of stuff. Hyperspace is different however.

What could or should be the alternative? Non storms already slow you down but are largely ignorable.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

bobucles

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2019, 09:55:06 AM »

So we can talk with utter certainty that bobuncles is talking about 25 destroyers,
25 ships, with destroyers. The destroyers definitely benefit from the 50% storm reduction talent, as they have plenty of CR to lose. The baby ships simply don't care as they get hit for maximum damage no matter what. Yes, it is a baby fleet. Small fleet = small damage. I tried swimming in storms to maximize damage, but it struggles to be a serious drain on my particular fleet. I'm using the "cost for full fleet repairs" as my indicator of damage.

I also understand that storm damage is supposed to scale with your fleet? It'd be nice to see some numbers from the high end. It's a little embarrassing to have the only numbers in here, especially because I'm quite a novice and am using a fleet that most experts will blaze beyond.

Grazing a neutron star is definitely far more punishing. There may even be a related bug or two, because ships with scratch damage are demanding a huge amount of supplies to fix it. Simply touching a neutron beam triggers an automatic 40 supply cost on my fleet, and I had seen other weird issues where being under crew creates a huge supply drain. It'd be nice to hear tales from more veteran players because maybe I'm just imagining things.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2019, 02:08:50 AM »

in my experience, if you have the skills, its far easier to autonavigate on sustained burn through storms than it is to go around them.  You save a LOT of time, which equates to saving a lot of resources.  On autonavigation your fleet can generally stay aimed at its target so long as you are flying directly at it.  With high speed of 30 or more you can skip a LOT of storm and only take ~3 hits.

This is not actually correct. You THINK you're saving lots of time, but given that 18 burn fleet slows down to 12 burn traveling trough storm, you are significantly slower, to the point that there isn't much difference between going around or going trough (and not getting bounced). You might same time if you have to go a loong way around.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2019, 04:03:25 AM »

My experience with sustained burn and storms is that it is entirely possible you will end up several days away from your intended exit point. If you don't use sustained burn, or use emergency burn and you hit a storms, you will likely emerge at you intended exit point.

Many times when you choose to go through a mass of storms and nebula, it is because going round will make you pass through a substantial detour that timewise it would always be better to go through the storms and nebula even on nomral burn.

JaronK

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »

Personally, I love the storms and deep hyperspace combos that end up resulting in interesting shipping lanes, some of which are hard to find.  I'd like to see more interesting stuff in hyperspace though.  Perhaps currents that aid movement in one direction and reduce it in others, resulting in more interesting trade routes. 

The ability to "fast travel" between locations following routes you've already done might be nice though.  It just takes the same amount of supplies, fuel, and time as your best time run to date.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2019, 05:58:09 PM »

Quite surprised that hyperspace is so disliked, until now it's been quite the diverting experience (especially with roaming redacted fleets), i mean what else could there be? Unless something else is added this would be nothing more than a "please wait" loading screen.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5