Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What playlists do you listen to while gaming?  (Read 1782 times)

morriganj

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
What playlists do you listen to while gaming?
« on: November 21, 2019, 02:52:51 AM »

:) List away!

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What playlists do you listen to while gaming?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 05:27:53 AM »

Do you guys ever get the feeling that music is rather distracting? Gaming is meant to be fun, but doing well in the game is still precision work, so for the best gaming performance you have to concentrate and not listen to anything.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:32:00 AM »

Do you guys ever get the feeling that music is rather distracting? Gaming is meant to be fun, but doing well in the game is still precision work, so for the best gaming performance you have to concentrate and not listen to anything.
For most games yes, but there are definitely some that exist purely for relaxation while listening to music or podcasts. Card games come to mind.
Please don't take me too seriously.

BuckStrider

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 02:35:30 AM »

It depends on the game. If you're playing a FPS, then obviously you won't be listening to music in the background. Many other games I just switch off the game music and play my own tracks.
I'm an EDM guy, so mostly progressive trance or drum and bass.

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 03:14:11 AM »

If you can't have FTL or Halo soundtracks while playing then it is not a true sci-fi game!
Also Total Annihilation, Homeworld, Endless space(especially flawless theory), Stellaris, some listen to metroid or even Rimworld in specific situations.
Oh and BSG is perfection, you cannot go wrong with it.

DarkAlbino

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »

I can recommend the Dronezone channel on SomaFm, imo it projects that vastness and emptiness of space really well.
Check it out: https://somafm.com/dronezone/

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »

Considering that I run Pokemon music, and to be more specific, menu, cities, etc... thremes, while playing Warframe(fast action 3PS), you can really see how calm I'm during gameplay sessions, that is if i'm not in a quest nor playing for real, in the first case it's the game music itself that is playing, in the second just got to use Some Swedish Power Metal, more Pokemon music.

Killjoymcpuppykicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »

Space jam theme on repeat.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 09:44:40 AM »

COME ON AND SLAM
Please don't take me too seriously.

Bob69Joe

• Lieutenant
  • Steam: Herr Derrierr with the tiger picture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 05:35:05 PM »

Few music is actually listenable while gaming without being completely ignored and quality music doesn't need to be an accompaniment to anything that isn't an automatic action like smoking or in a few occasions working out. Then there is music that can just insert itself perfectly to create an ambiance of a game. I really enjoy listening to electronic works for much of Starsector. Mind the drum machine, but I find this to be perfect when having to cleanse tens of thousands of lives that buffet themselves against my lone capital Onslaught defending a battlestation. It becomes an automatic exercise. I highly regard the Leading Pip mod. I set my weapon groups, high-velocity drivers, then the hephaestus guns linked with the Onslaught's built-in lasers. Pause, "r" to set target, adjust, fire high-velocity salvo, pause, switch to anti-armor, blast off a few rounds as the high-velocity guns reload, pause, switch back to those and fire, pause, repeat and adjust as necessary. Soon enough the space between me and the battlestation is littered with tons of wreckage and lives of futility.
Search = 'site:cakravartin.com Hermetic Tradition'