Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Capital Phase Ships  (Read 4157 times)

maoid

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Capital Phase Ships
« on: August 12, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »

There is no reason for them to exist. It probably defeats the purpose. I don't care. Is there a mod that adds one?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Phase Ships
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:15:07 AM »

Huh.  That's interesting - I can't think of any mods that have capital-scale phase ships.

...Now I'm trying to figure out what it'd take to make that work well.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »

Huh.  That's interesting - I can't think of any mods that have capital-scale phase ships.

Sylphon, Borken, Seeker do not have some?
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »

Sylphon has a phase cruiser, and it has a capital ship with a system that allows for brief access to a phase-like space but functions more like the phase skimmer than a conventional phase ship.

Borken and Seeker have not been updated for 0.9.1.  (Borken might still work, but at the very least it'd have ships that are far too cheap for their size.  Also, it's not even remotely vanilla-balanced.  Fun to play with - some of the ships and weapons are really neat - but definitely not balanced.)

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »

GMDA has a phase onslaught but I'm not sure if it's actually acquirable in game.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 05:46:30 PM »

Option 1 (the night killer):
Design a fast battlecruiser - really fast, Odyssey fast - with mostly forward hardpoint weaponry (say, two large energies and a large synergy, plus some medium energies, medium missiles, and a few small universals). Give it something really abusive for a ship system - a better mine teleporter, or multi-EMP arcing, something to really sell it as evil and powerful. Armor it like a proper battleship. Tune it so that it murders everything smaller, but relies heavily on phasing and its ship system to win against other capitals.

Option 2 (the mothership):
Design a heavily-armed cargo capital - something like the Atlas Mk2 with narrower arcs and slightly less direct firepower - with an emphasis on missiles (call it three medium missiles, a large synergy, a large energy, and a sprinkling of small universals and energies). Give it a ship system that synergizes with a fleet of other ships; a brakefield, a super-jammer, whatever. Armor it like a battlecruiser; enough to take some hits but not so much that you can wade in shooting without a plan and backup. Tune it so that it's mainly there for amplifying the effects of the fleet it leads and throwing the final knockout punches.

(Part of the inherent problem is that phase ships are designed as 'one class above' in power, so a straightforward capital phase ship relying on capital levels of firepower would be a supercapital, and those... just aren't fun to pilot. Most of the way line combat capitals behave - racking up huge flux debts in the course of a battle and lumbering around ponderously - doesn't mesh with the way phasing plays).

The lore explanation for why something like this exists would be interesting. What's the utility of a phasing capital ship in-universe?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:48:25 PM by Soren »

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 06:57:48 PM »

Blackrock technically has the Asura and Morpheus, which function like capital-level phase ships.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 07:06:55 PM »

Asura isn't a phase ship anymore, and the Morpheus is more of a super-destroyer.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »

I have a phase battleship in Archean Order called the Tyrant-class.

Its pretty hard to acquire though. You would either have to salvage one or buy it through a commission with the Adamantine Consortium and in most start scenarios they start hostile to the player.

EDIT: Oh, forgot, if you want to see it in action however, it can be fought against in one of the mod's missions: "The Captain's Gambit"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:15:28 PM by Morrokain »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 03:18:26 PM »

The lore explanation for why something like this exists would be interesting. What's the utility of a phasing capital ship in-universe?
I think I like the second of your suggestions better - phase ships are supposed to be a step above, but combat freighters are (sortof) a step down, so that might cancel out.  A capital-class phase-cloak-equipped combat freighter would be a monster of a blockade runner; something of a holy grail for pirates or raiding parties.