Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Make maxShipsInFleet soft cap instead of hard cap  (Read 5993 times)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Make maxShipsInFleet soft cap instead of hard cap
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 04:04:45 PM »

I'm happy as a supply cost of 20% per ship above 30 is a lot laxer than I was expecting. I was expecting supply to double per ship!

The burn cost will hurt though.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 02:42:04 AM by Plantissue »

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »

this is great now I can go out with my full strength fleet when exploring the rest of the sector an not worried about not being able to recover a capital ship.

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »

Will the "soft" cap be able to be increased through skills?
On the left half of the Bell curve

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »

Hopefully we will still be able to modify it in setting.json like we can currently

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 11:50:12 AM »

Hopefully we will still be able to modify it in setting.json like we can currently
Seconded
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

GrenadierPartha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »

One way to handle the cap would be to organise the fleet into “wings” with the commander of each wing (in a larger ship) able to support a set of smaller ships (you can imagine each capital ship being the top of a pyramid). By default the player character could be an exceptional commander able to support a number of ships, but to grow the fleet larger will require designating a (capital?) ship and an officer to support the additional ships logistically. This will make a diverse fleet of ships of different sizes the optimal choice. Also the number of wings, number of deployment points per wing, etc could be modified by skills. This could also make deployment easier by allowing a group of ships to be deployed together as a “unit”. Perhaps for the assigned commanders it might be that the player *must* deploy the entire wing to avoid a penalty (or that skilled commanders might deploy their wing at a discount).
Pages: 1 [2]