Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The new skill system  (Read 4874 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The new skill system
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 06:17:31 AM »

That's quite some argument about a few % here and there. If the new system will bring more skills like Sensors, Navigation, Field Repairs or Control & Command (however niche it is), I will be more satisfied with it than with the current system. If it remains mostly stat buffs, like it is now, it won't be much of an improvement. You will continue to do everything you do now, just certain things will be easier. Might as well play on easy mode.

Whiskiz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 06:41:57 AM »

That's quite some argument about a few % here and there. If the new system will bring more skills like Sensors, Navigation, Field Repairs or Control & Command (however niche it is), I will be more satisfied with it than with the current system. If it remains mostly stat buffs, like it is now, it won't be much of an improvement. You will continue to do everything you do now, just certain things will be easier. Might as well play on easy mode.

a few % here and there?

From +3 command points to increasing burn level by 1, from increasing fleets speed in combat depending on how many ships you bring, to the same for ECM. From reducing amount of D-mod rolls on ships on average to increasing chance for certain ships to have a higher chance to be recoverable after battle, from increasing colony production by 1 to abilities like neutrino detector, from unlocking certain hull mods on command to being able to have more officers and administrators.

That's quite some exaggeration ;)

In other news i tracked the post down on the new skill setup myself and saw "I think reducing the number of options at any given point will also make for more impactful and considered choices for players of any skill level."

And i had to lol. If you're wanting to make it more impactful, don't give us a level/skill every 2min then (like many people have posted, the progression being too fast) instead of taking most of them away. :D

The story points, elite effects and respeccing sounds cool so far.

Man, that entire thing looks pretty cool i must say.

Making smaller hulls useful again if so chosen (i appreciate this more so as a battletech/mechwarrior fan) having alot more unique options - from redacted/derelict ships to AI officers, (while also providing incentives to not mass use and abuse) making mods on hulls perma and all the other story point options while noting and solving the problem of ship stacking etc because of specific bonuses. respeccing and story points with story points also being farmable and more numerous, making up for less skill points in total and even going the extra mile and thinking of the potential problem of hoarding them and already coming up with a pretty damn cool solution to it. General, specialization and elite skills and more.

I take it all back haha.

You can never be too sure in this day and age though, with everyone busting a nut over "simplifying" and "making more streamlined" and all the rest of the triple-A mainstream garbo.

Nicely done.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 07:21:07 AM by Whiskiz »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »

From +3 command points to increasing burn level by 1, from increasing fleets speed in combat depending on how many ships you bring, to the same for ECM. From reducing amount of D-mod rolls on ships on average to increasing chance for certain ships to have a higher chance to be recoverable after battle, from increasing colony production by 1 to abilities like neutrino detector, from unlocking certain hull mods on command to being able to have more officers and administrators.
Have you noticed that I mentioned skills like these as exceptions to percentage buffs?

dgs6686

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2019, 11:14:54 AM »

Personally I really hope that the fleetwide bonus skills will either be removed or rolled in to just investing points in the tree. For example, for every point you invest in the 'Industry' tree you would get 5% more salvage, rather than having a skill specifically dedicated to increasing salvage. Some of the fleetwide bonuses such as ECM and coordinated maneuvers are just too powerful imo, but you almost have to take at least ECM because you will be at such a disadvantage if the enemy fleet has it and you don't. When you have ECM and the enemy doesn't they can't even fight back... ECM as a ship mod would make way more sense than as a skill point.

I think this is a good chance to trim some fat, streamline the system, and re-tune / re-think some of the more powerful skills.
Pages: 1 2 [3]