Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wait at Starports  (Read 3263 times)

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Wait at Starports
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:59:47 AM »

There should be an option to wait at starports for an indefinite period of time during which your ships consume no fuel or supplies like if they are docked in storage.

When I get to the colonization phase, I often find myself waiting around a lot with my full fleet ready to combat incursions from hostile factions. This consumes a lot of supplies but I do it because its annoying to have to constantly take out your ships from inventory, get them in the order you want, and assign officers. I'd rather just click a button when I arrive at the planet or starport that says 'wait here for some time' like in Mount and Blade. Preferably waiting will make time go as faster or even faster than accelerated time.

If you want to add a mechanic on top of this, make it so ships loose CR if you go too long without spending time in a port to simulate crew fatigue and dropping moral during long cruises. You need to take into account your men's need for R&R.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Wait at Starports
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 01:21:03 AM »

This first idea is awesome except exempting consumption completely.
After all the ships need constant maintenance to be combat ready. I'd say half the supply cost for the period.

The second idea is like, IDK. I don't see big difference living in a capital spaceship and a small space station.
On top of that I don't really think we have human crews, they are "skeleton" crews.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 01:28:11 AM »

The thing I often do when I have to wait long periods of time is to store all of my ships except the smalles one, then just orbit with it while speeding up time. But after that I need to grab ALL of my fleet ships, organize them, then put officers where they belong. And that gets really tiresome after a while, so I'm all for this suggestion.
Please don't take me too seriously.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 02:37:56 AM »

This first idea is awesome except exempting consumption completely.
After all the ships need constant maintenance to be combat ready. I'd say half the supply cost for the period.

The second idea is like, IDK. I don't see big difference living in a capital spaceship and a small space station.
On top of that I don't really think we have human crews, they are "skeleton" crews.
If you only half the maintenance it defeats the point of waiting, which is to act as if you put your fleet into inventory without clicking through extra menus.

I'm not sure if you're joking about the skeleton crews. Pretty sure they're explicitly said to be human.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:06:51 AM »

I like the idea of either renting an apartment to temporally wait out (cost per day) or buying a house as a permanent place to stay (can wait for free from then on). I am reminded of the player base in Mass Effect. This, of course, doesn't need to be physical like Mass Effect but a cool artwork of what is on offer and what you can stay in would be nice.

A lava world house would be something like that.

Holsp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:16:24 AM »

this is an Idea I would LOVE to see too, something like in Mount and Blade. But this would also have to have a small rework as no unkeep is ridiculous, IMO it should be something like this - If you put your ship into a stockpile its CR would slowly go down over time so that it would be the best thing to do and it would encourage the second thing which would be the docking, there could be two types of docking, one long term and a short term, in the short term the amount of supplies would me lower but your crew could get unhappy (happiness isn´t something in the game but it could be like a big update of the game which would help you in battles or something) and they could leave you or have lower CR, why would they be unhappy? Cause you said to them that they are free to roam around and while you still pay them they have to buy food for themselves and stuff like that which is expensive, after that you would have to fly out for a long time, few months perhaps for them to recover thier wallets and be ready for another short term, or a long term which would consume more supplies as you would give them food to eat but they wouldn´t be unhappy, it all still has to be more profitable then storing them thou. It will certainly need a lot fo working but it can be done

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 04:10:46 AM »

This isn't exactly related but...

...I remember one time I started in Jangala and for some bizarre reason a few days later there were no hegemony fleets around Jangala, but there was a pirate fleet chasing my fleet. You would think that the station would help fight off pirates targetting small traders, but it would not. If there was an option to "wait", or "land" at starport or planet, then I would had been able to do so and wait out the pirates till a fleet appeared from the planet or wait for a returning patrol fleet.

The whole incident struck me as very anti-intuitive. It would be nice if there was some way to "dock" or land" at a station or planet and time passes whilst you are safe.

Lord_Matheas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 05:21:33 AM »

i would certanly love this, maybe nullifying the cost would be a bit much, but having the cost be reduced to like 1/4 or less would certanly be apriciated