Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Rename Sabot to Flechette  (Read 1633 times)

IDCS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Rename Sabot to Flechette
« on: August 11, 2019, 01:00:48 PM »

Sabot is the barbell looking thingamajig that makes the projectile have the same profile as the barrel for rifling etc

Flechette is what each 'dart' is called for these kinds of rounds or shells that 'split' themselves

It's pretty minor but has been getting to me
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:37:26 PM by IDCS »

IDCS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Rename Sabot to Fletchette
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »

Keep in mind even that saboted round in the picture is a fletchette

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
Re: Rename Sabot to Flechette
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 02:23:29 PM »

( Humble correction: there are only two t's in "flechette," not three. )

This game's Light/Heavy/Storm Needler weapons already fire flechette rounds, being needleguns in space; please refer to the Codex. Renaming the Sabot missile to Flechette missile isn't necessarily a guaranteed improvement that's worth the disruption to the playerbase - you're proposing renaming a core component of the game's arsenal. The missile isn't some obscure, niche weapon that's seldom encountered in Starfarer and would cause no trouble if re-branded (either gratuitously or of necessity). ???

Respecting the precedent established long ago by those gun-type weapons in this game, one could argue that it would be at least as desirable and clarity-generating to rename the Sabot missile to "Needler" missile. I am mostly neutral to doing such; others might think differently.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

IDCS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »

Good point about disruption from renaming something common. I have a feeling the consensus will be towards keeping the misnomer so how about a blurb about say, how it was developed into a missile from a saboted shot traditionally fired from a large cannon but the name "Sabot shot" still stuck for the missiles?

Actually now that I think of it that also fits how the US navy is developing railguns - saboted single flechettes. So makes sense that it goes from that to multi-flechette shots to a missile to bundle a larger payload to bypass the huge efficiency loss the large diameter would cause with anything more than a handful.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:31:12 PM by IDCS »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »

Originally, the Sabot missile only fired one projectile, hence the name.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:19:31 PM »

Hm.  You know, needler missile could work.  Take the current needler family, add a bit of EMP-on-hit, take the sabot, remove the EMP arcs (but keep the on-hit EMP)...  Yeah, that seems reasonable.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »

Sabot is fine name. The sabot is the dicarded portion and that is what the missile does

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 12:07:57 AM »

that name’s bothered me for a while, so if it could be changed it’d be great imo.

IDCS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 12:08:50 AM »

There is a thing called non-discarding sabot. Again, it literally and only means a piece of wrap-around housing that fits a projectile to a barrel

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 04:03:54 AM »

Although, the old name might actually make sense, if the second stage projectile are actually fired by some sort of cannon that has a sabot.

Lord_Matheas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 05:23:39 AM »

i would certanly dislike if we just started randomly renaming everything for as poor reasons as realism