Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inexplicable (apparently) Sudden Fleet Decimation  (Read 2868 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Inexplicable (apparently) Sudden Fleet Decimation
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:58:50 AM »

The issue seems to be an unannounced event that takes place where most of my fleet is decimated to the point of losing cruisers, capitals, and almost all fighters, as well as crew as if these ships took part in an autoresolve combat event when none has taken place.

This seems to happen when your fleet is directly on top of another fleet. The first time this has happened was when I just defeated a small fleet and had a few seconds of immunity of being intercepted. The proximity of the small fleet I intercepted was quite close to these two large fleets, so much so that after defeating them, my fleet was in the middle of theirs while the immunity thing was taking place. I shortly got out before the immunity worn out, and I believe being stuck inside of these two fleets resulted in the event where the AI autoresolved the battle in which no damage was attributed to the enemy fleet in question and my own fleet was quietly decimated without my notice.

I first found out that my fleet was in tatters was when I intercepted a small fleet soon after dodging out of the two big ones. Only one of my destroyers was operable, the rest having been destroyed, under crewed due to the rapid series of autoresolves, or just reduced to such a state that putting them into the line of fire isn't a good idea.

Edit: At first I thought it was just a lapse of judgement on my part, maybe I had pressed autoresolve without remembering it. This doesn't seem to be the case though as this happened twice, and now three times with what I can describe as a small fleet of a lowly frigate and a wing of interceptors reducing my own tier four fleet to tatters.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:01:14 AM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Inexplicable (apparently) Sudden Fleet Decimation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »

That's very odd.Do you have any idea for how to reproduce it, or a save where it's likely t happen in the near future?

Ohh, wait a minute. Looking at the code, I can see how that could happen if you managed to engage two fleets in the same frame - one would pop up the dialog, while the other would auto-resolve behind the scenes.

Should now be fixed - thank you for the report.

Question - have you seen it occur in circumstances other than the ones I mentioned? (two fleets in same frame).

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »

I don't remember all that well of the other two incidents. I found out that I had a beat up fleet only after coming into contact with a far off target I was chasing across the map so it might have been a lot of things. I'll keep an eye out for further cases of this though, and see if I can get it to happen in other situations.

Edit: Off topic, are hullmods going to be moddable in the future?

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 02:20:31 PM »

Edit: Off topic, are hullmods going to be moddable in the future?

They already are - check out the data/hullmods folder.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »

I see what you mean, the Ascendency mod features a new hullmod, although I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the .class file though. Notepad C++ seems to have trouble reading it. If I just replace all the location details in the .class file. Will the new hullmod work?

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »

.class is a compiled .java

:)

You don't need to do anything with that.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:53:24 PM »

YAY ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:00:57 PM »

Hmm. The mod shouldn't need to come with a .class file, either - if you deleted it, it'd probably still work. I'm guessing that's just left over from the maker of the mod testing it (perhaps with an IDE set up to compile the .java file as they worked on it), instead of the game compiling it when it starts. Which it will do every time.