Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Missions Proximity  (Read 6322 times)

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Missions Proximity
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 05:46:33 PM »

Exploration is cheap, though.

If your playing vanilla and did the tutorial, you get these ships on top of the ones you start with:

1x Dram (a dmod or two I believe)
1x Hammerhead (1 dmod)
1x Condor (1 dmod)
And the stuff you start with.

A fleet of this size and strength with the starting credits you have will survive everything but medium beacon sectors and surprise pirate deathfleets (yes sometimes you run into these).

Everything else will die to this fleet out in the Rim, including all automated defenses except for the sleeper ships.

Hence why exploration is considered the "noob friendly" way to get money and explore the galaxy.

Paul_Kauphart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 02:20:11 AM »

There should also be procurement missions being hanged around on public networks, and delivery missions you can pick up in bars in almost every market. And finally, you have system bounties that factions will put up when they have to many of those pesky pirates raiding a system.

Then a lot of personnal bounties and base killing missions can be found relatively close to the core and should be easy to reach with a couple of tankers.

warmaha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 03:06:16 AM »

Exploration would be encouraged if exploration was cheap, but its not. The game doesn't encourage the player to drop into random systems, because there is no guarantee that actually exploring random systems will be a rewarding endeavour.

Hey, those are my first impressions. Take them for what they are.

It's not cheap to explore and sure there are some pretty empty systems, but I don't agree that it would not be encouraged.
  • During exploring / scouting trips (even without missions) with small fleet, you can find interesting places with a lot of things to search/loot/fight.
  • Those are really important, because you can make big money (can be easily over million per trip) when going there later with big fleet and hauling things back to core.
  • You should do exploring also to look nice planets to colonize later.
  • You get some money just by that, surveying planets and selling information to factions.
  • You may find ruins from planets while surveying and those can have good loot.
  • You may find abandoned stations etc from space, just by flying around and those can have good loot.
  • You may find nice ships around. Who would not want free ships! There is even cruiser size ships around sometimes.
  • Many trips it's possible to find all kind crap from space that you might end up with too much fuel and items. Ending just dump and leave things to space.

Don't know what kind world you guys live, but my world is really worth exploring without any missions. Playing totally random world in vanilla, no mods.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 08:43:25 AM »

• You may find nice ships around. Who would not want free ships! There is even cruiser size ships around sometimes.

Legion(XIV) wants to know your location

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2019, 01:38:20 PM »

Yeah I have found Legions and Onslaughts in space before.

Rare but possible.

Ghoulishtie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »

So far I've done bounties that are close by as well as explore the unexplored systems closest to the core worlds. Ended up nabbing an Alpha core, a Synchrotron Core, a Pristine Nanoforge, several medium/big weapons, several blueprints, lots of supplies/trade goods, and a XIV Legion.

I also found an abandoned research facility that was very close to the systems star though I can't get close to it as my fleet just automatically turns away for obvious reasons. Any tips on that one?

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »

So far I've done bounties that are close by as well as explore the unexplored systems closest to the core worlds. Ended up nabbing an Alpha core, a Synchrotron Core, a Pristine Nanoforge, several medium/big weapons, several blueprints, lots of supplies/trade goods, and a XIV Legion.

I also found an abandoned research facility that was very close to the systems star though I can't get close to it as my fleet just automatically turns away for obvious reasons. Any tips on that one?

The stars automatically do damage to your ships and reduce burn level by a lot.

This, however, is circumvented by Emergency Burn, which keeps you at a permanent max burn for a while till the ability is over.

Emergency Burn your way to the station, grab all the ***, then get out; stars eat your supplies like no tomorrow due to massive ship damage.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 02:25:34 PM »

Emergency Burn helps - especially for getting back away from research stations that are overly close to black holes - but in many cases it's sufficient to just turn Sustained Burn off; SB gives you a higher top speed, but cuts down on acceleration, and you need acceleration to overcome the force of a star's corona.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SKKiro

• Ensign
  • Remember 15/08/2018 always.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 09:04:55 PM »

I speak of this as a new player.
I was initially afraid of of the getting out of the core world area because of the following reasons (Keep in mind I went into this game mostly blind):

1: I didn't knew there was ships specialized for cargo, fuel ect capacity. So all those missions outside of the core worlds seemed impossible.
2: Because I wasn't aware that the core world area was pretty much the bulk if not all of the factions planets, I thought the outside sectors were populated by the factions but would hide it from you until you went there. So I stayed to the core worlds because I didn't see the point of going further.
3: Because I attempted a bounty (Didn't knew the estimate of the fleet was...partial) and ended up being killed I thought that the outside section of the map was a high level type of thing for EVERY missions.

Once I learned the my mistakes and had as much as a single cargo and fuel capacity specialized ships everything went fine. Despite such things being a little bit late in the save file age.

StormingKiwi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 03:31:41 AM »

So, to clarify because there seems to be some confusion, this thread is about the unfocused nature of the mission system in game. It's about the fact that missions on offer seem arbitrary and unfocused, with faction offering the mission and location being apparently completely random

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 06:50:36 AM »

So, to clarify because there seems to be some confusion, this thread is about the unfocused nature of the mission system in game. It's about the fact that missions on offer seem arbitrary and unfocused, with faction offering the mission and location being apparently completely random

The unfocused nature does several things:

1) Replayability. Its a simple "go here and pickup data, or survey". There is no deep lore or hidden meaning behind these "fetch quests" so they can be issued several times throughout the game. This is good for both something to do (cash wise) and if you hit rock bottom and get wiped by a surprise pirate / enemy faction raid and need a way to get back into the game reliably.
2) Unlock future content. You can get high level stuff like blueprints, synchrotrons, and nanoforges, all of them good for cash now so you can buy cool ships, or keep them for the mid-late game colonies.
3) Same as above, allows you to find a good place for a colony should you ever want to go that route.
4) Conflict. A lot of the survey missions have you run into pirates, desperate scavengers down on their luck, and [REDACTED]. This game is all about conflict and space battles foremost, so this point is important.

If your looking for lore, unfortunately the best your going to get in exploration missions is the colonies you find yourself, and Unknown Skies (a mod) expands on that by adding new and interesting planet types with some cool features to some of the planets (like them being religions landmarks so you get better stability).

If your looking for a purpose, well. Vanilla doesn't add that, but in Nexerelin (mod), the planets you survey usually get colonized by the faction that put you up to the survey mission. Something that, I argue, should be in the base game to make survey missions more impactful other than "get cash and go home for more cash through survey selling".

A lot of the systems in the game could be further fleshed out but are made more "simplified" to make the main focus of the game, combat, more relevant hence why it seems kinda "empty" persay.
Pages: 1 [2]