Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What I think is needed: midrange carriers  (Read 8356 times)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
What I think is needed: midrange carriers
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:43:06 AM »

Playing the new version, I've noticed something awkward: there seem to be no carriers holding the middle ground between Condor and Astral. So in effect, the only carriers currently in the game are a converted freighter that's... Well, it's cheapish and it holds a flight deck. That's about the limit of its virtues. Then there's Astral, which is a Tri-Tachyon-exclusive super-vessel. There are no dedicated carriers between these two extremes, and only a fairly small number of cruisers or capital ships have flight decks, either.

Now, granted, you don't want flight decks in everything, but would I be correct to assume that there will, at some point, be more carrier types in the game? It feels kind of odd for Hegemony, in particular, not having its own carrier design. Now, I'll be the first to admit that this is hardly an urgent issue, but it does seem a bit of a gap in the currently available ship type selection.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What I think is needed: midrange carriers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:01:43 AM »

Venture and Astral are both very carrier-like.  But I would love to see some 2-deck ships.  Or outdated carrier with 3 decks.  Or both.

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:04:27 AM »

For mid-tech, both Gemini and Atlas have carrier decks. Gemini in particular is very fast for a carrier and is just about better than condor in every way despite being technically a civilian ship.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:55:54 AM »

You need to consider how powerful some of the fighters are in Starfarer. Having a cheap ship with multiple decks means frigates and most destroyers will probably be obsolete by comparison.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »

It is a little odd there are no 2 deck carriers... but what kind of ship would it be? The Venture is a lightly armed and tough cruiser with 1 deck, so maybe another cruiser that only has 2 flak for weapons? Once the multiple carrier bug is fixed than I think this will become less of an issue. Maybe a midline capital ship with 2 decks.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 07:34:40 AM »

Get the gun runner mod. It has a very nice two deck carrier in the cruiser class. 50k credits and 15 fleet points I think, with decent survivability and speed.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:02:13 AM »

tbh, we just need more of every kinda sized ship hulls.

i expect alex will be implementing more variety of both hulls and weapons(and other stuff) later in development, we just have to wait till he has everything core to set in slate first, then we'll get our variety we're looking for.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »

The game is only on alpha. There will be more content of you are patient. :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:53:23 AM »

Get the gun runner mod. It has a very nice two deck carrier in the cruiser class. 50k credits and 15 fleet points I think, with decent survivability and speed.

While I love the gun runner mod, that ship is waaaaaay overpowered. Fun to have in a fleet though :D

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »

I made one in my mod. But I assume there will be more vanilla ships later. (soon?)

It's a two deck midline cruiser. 4 pd slots. Tried to keep it inline with falcon/eagle style cruisers. (Love the midline)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:35:32 AM »

I made one in my mod. But I assume there will be more vanilla ships later. (soon?)

It's a two deck midline cruiser. 4 pd slots. Tried to keep it inline with falcon/eagle style cruisers. (Love the midline)
Selfpromotion of mod ;D

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »

I'm just saying!  :)  I made something along those lines, so you can go look and see exactly what my thoughts are, haha.

Not trying to promote it per se. I don't care if no one likes or plays it. I'm making it for me, primarily and to get acquainted with the mod system in case anyone wants/needs help.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »

I'm just saying!  :)  I made something along those lines, so you can go look and see exactly what my thoughts are, haha.

Not trying to promote it per se. I don't care if no one likes or plays it. I'm making it for me, primarily and to get acquainted with the mod system in case anyone wants/needs help.
Oh don't get me wrong with the selfpromotion! I have done it myself sometimes so i'm not spotless there hehe :D, but yeah, totally agree with the idea of more carrier-cruisers.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 12:59:39 AM »

For mid-tech, both Gemini and Atlas have carrier decks. Gemini in particular is very fast for a carrier and is just about better than condor in every way despite being technically a civilian ship.

While I'll admit that I'd forgotten those ships have flight decks (maybe because I haven't seen either for sale in the campaign), I do remind you that I was talking about dedicated carrier designs, and both of the above are primarily freighters. I know the Condor and the Astral aren't the only ships in the game with flight decks, but that wasn't what was talking about in the first place; my point was that there are only two actual carrier designs, of which one is a small converted freighter and the other a Tri-Tachyon-exclusive super-design. And it feels kinda jarring that a power like Hegemony doesn't have a (true, and more powerful than the Condor) carrier design in its ranks.

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 02:25:04 AM »

While I'll admit that I'd forgotten those ships have flight decks (maybe because I haven't seen either for sale in the campaign), I do remind you that I was talking about dedicated carrier designs, and both of the above are primarily freighters. I know the Condor and the Astral aren't the only ships in the game with flight decks, but that wasn't what was talking about in the first place; my point was that there are only two actual carrier designs, of which one is a small converted freighter and the other a Tri-Tachyon-exclusive super-design. And it feels kinda jarring that a power like Hegemony doesn't have a (true, and more powerful than the Condor) carrier design in its ranks.

Venture class is a true carrier.  It has no other purpose but to refit and rearm fighters while throwing out some missiles.  The 2 medium and 2 small missile hard points working with fighters create amazing synergy, as fighters will take shields down and lock down enemy ships, while venture can launch harpoon/pilums for killing blow.
Pages: [1] 2