Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: need to make a working tutorial!  (Read 1638 times)

matrix501

• Ensign
    • View Profile
need to make a working tutorial!
« on: August 10, 2019, 06:39:08 PM »

I tried to play this on easy tutorial settings i start my fleet and move to neutral base secuirty detachment intercepts me and says my transponder is not on he gave a final warning the game give me the option to turn on my transponders which i agree to do then after i hit finish the security commander yells this was your last warning about your transponders and they destroy me! The only thing i learned was this tutorial wasn't thought out too well considering i still have no clue about the ships transponders!!! Years ago i played this and i used to love it now i tried it again and I'm really turned off by it i thought the tutorial would show you step by step what are at least some of the ships systems how to turn on the transponder without getting killed!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: need to make a working tutorial!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 06:53:37 PM »

I agree that the tutorial instructions need to be way more in-your-face about doing things. For example, when it wants you to quicksave you shouldn't be able to do anything else until you do so.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 08:04:09 PM »

Removing the ability to move and having "PRESS F5 TO QUICKSAVE" be in the middle of the screen in big flashing letters, maybe some sound effects, would be good.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »

It sounds like you somehow managed to bypass the tutorial step where you're given the transponder ability. That'd explain why agreeing to turn on the transponder fails; it assumes your fleet has that ability, but it doesn't due to somehow skipping that step. For the time being, I'd recommend restarting the tutorial and being careful to follow the instructions.

There are definitely some ways to get it off the rails, though how this in particular might have happened is a bit of a head-scratcher. The only way that comes to mind is not fighting the pirate fleet at the beginning and wandering off to explore the system instead. Might be worth approaching it as both a tutorial and a mission that can be failed.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

Removing the ability to move and having "PRESS F5 TO QUICKSAVE" be in the middle of the screen in big flashing letters, maybe some sound effects, would be good.

Hmm, that's a really good idea, let me make a note. Doesn't seem like it would help in this particular case, though. It's just fundamentally tricky to make it unbreakable, what with the sandbox nature of things. I guess it could do with a bit more hardening.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:17:54 PM »

Alex, while you are here and talking about the tutorial, remember when I told you about escaping Galatia without finishing the tutorial? (Here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11827.msg202723#msg202723 )
Well someone has figured out how to turn this into a very large exploit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/cohnxo/laughs_in_space_bitcoins/
The long story short is that you become their sole supplier and basically make money hand over fist due to shortages
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »

Hmm. Yeah, that's... well, on the one hand it's creative and awesome and makes a lot of in-fiction sense.

On the other hand, doing this does break other parts of the game, since getting out and about while the tutorial is still considered to be ongoing makes a lot of things not happen. Made a note to fix this, should be fairly easy by just making TJ not work while the tutorial is ongoing. Thank you!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:45:49 AM »

makes a lot of in-fiction sense.

I disagree. I think Transverse Jump working when the jump points do not does not make sense.

(Yeah, I know, you just blocked it indev :P)

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 07:25:07 AM »

Hmm. Yeah, that's... well, on the one hand it's creative and awesome and makes a lot of in-fiction sense.

On the other hand, doing this does break other parts of the game, since getting out and about while the tutorial is still considered to be ongoing makes a lot of things not happen. Made a note to fix this, should be fairly easy by just making TJ not work while the tutorial is ongoing. Thank you!

I'd rather see leaving Galatia trigger tutorial end.

matrix501

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 08:58:49 AM »

It sounds like you somehow managed to bypass the tutorial step where you're given the transponder ability. That'd explain why agreeing to turn on the transponder fails; it assumes your fleet has that ability, but it doesn't due to somehow skipping that step. For the time being, I'd recommend restarting the tutorial and being careful to follow the instructions.

There are definitely some ways to get it off the rails, though how this in particular might have happened is a bit of a head-scratcher. The only way that comes to mind is not fighting the pirate fleet at the beginning and wandering off to explore the system instead. Might be worth approaching it as both a tutorial and a mission that can be failed.

Welcome to the forum, by the way :)

Hmm, that's a really good idea, let me make a note. Doesn't seem like it would help in this particular case, though. It's just fundamentally tricky to make it unbreakable, what with the sandbox nature of things. I guess it could do with a bit more hardening.

Alex yes you are correct i didn't fight the pirates because i wanted to get to a base and just try to see if i could change some of my systems before i fought the pirates on my way to do that is when i got stopped and killed but since then i re-did the tutorial and now isee how simple it was i got killed for nothing really! It's a great game! Even better then when i played a few years ago! Thanks for all the replys everyone!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 09:33:41 AM »

Glad you're enjoying it, and that you got the tutorial stuff squared away :) Still, some good notes for improvements came out of this, so thank you for bringing it up!