Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Seeking Supplementary Mods Advice  (Read 1059 times)

BlazingScribe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Seeking Supplementary Mods Advice
« on: August 09, 2019, 09:14:36 PM »

I recently "finished" my first campaign, by which I mean I reached the point where I got most of what I wanted done and have an understanding of the core systems of the game if not all of it's component parts. In other games, this is usually the point where I start trying to find interesting mods to fresh up the experience for the second time around, but Star Sector is a special case. As cool as it is to fly around with a Nyan Cat of Doom or whatever, I think it would be more interesting to play with mods that supplement the existing game without smashing other universes or memes into it. The setting is as much of a draw as the mechanics and if there are mods that expand on that setting in a meaningful way I'd like to try them.

I took a brief look through the mods thread and it's. A little overwhelming? A lot of it looks really cool but I don't have the time to try them all or the experience to judge at a glance which ones work together and which ones either break each other or make one or the other redundant.

In short, I'm asking what mod or mods are a good supplement to the game, ideally without breaking the setting.

Thank you for your time.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Supplementary Mods Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:06:53 PM »

Make sure you follow the instructions for the mods listed. Most will need lazylib and graphicslib mods.

I like to play pretty a vanilla friendly modded game. My personal favourites are
Nexerelin (diplomacy, planetary conquest, all that great stuff)
Ships/Weapons Pack (more ships and weapons that are vanilla balanced)
Underworld (lots of interesting vanilla friendly ships that make pirates more interesting)

Some other mods I like, not gameplay related, but just general quality of life.
Console commands
Combat analytics
Combat chatter

BlazingScribe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »

Something to add, are there any good mods that expand on the role of [Redacted]? I've run into them a few times now and they are fascinating. But they also don't seem to do much.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 01:19:20 PM »

Something to add, are there any good mods that expand on the role of [Redacted]? I've run into them a few times now and they are fascinating. But they also don't seem to do much.

Nexerelin creates raids by [redacted] on core systems - they become an actual faction that targets people. That said, [redacted] does not take over planets at all.

There's also a mod that allows you to capture redacted ships. SWP also adds a few redacted ships I believe.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »

If you've only run into them a few times then you likely still have more to discover about them. One of my mods (ruthless sector) adds periodic [redacted] fleets to hyperspace in order to make inter-system travel more dangerous for small fleets. It has a lot of other features as well, but they can all be toggled.

BlazingScribe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »

If you've only run into them a few times then you likely still have more to discover about them. One of my mods (ruthless sector) adds periodic [redacted] fleets to hyperspace in order to make inter-system travel more dangerous for small fleets. It has a lot of other features as well, but they can all be toggled.

That's fair. Mostly it's been scattered groups of frigates cluttering up scavenging areas. The only time I ran into them in force was when I ran out of fuel and blundered into a system with what I think was a station. I'm not entirely sure because I got swarmed almost immediately and decided to bail after capturing enough fuel to get anywhere else.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »

That's fair. Mostly it's been scattered groups of frigates cluttering up scavenging areas. The only time I ran into them in force was when I ran out of fuel and blundered into a system with what I think was a station. I'm not entirely sure because I got swarmed almost immediately and decided to bail after capturing enough fuel to get anywhere else.

They're not really super scary as opponents in the sense that they'll find you and destroy you. But I will say that certain redacted targets in the game are very challenging to defeat! Take some risks when you become more experienced and see what you find.

I also ran Sundog's ruthless sector mod for a while, although I actually found it to make things easier because of how I played so I eventually added my personal touches on it to make it even more punishing. That said, strongly recommend it if you have the basics of the game down; it really does make the game more challenging and reward risk-taking a lot more.