Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ship Modding Tutorial Video  (Read 18369 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Modding Tutorial Video
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

I've been using redbull's editor to save both .ship and .variant files with no problems. Then again, I made mods before any tools were available so I already know what needs to go where; and, I do end up hand-editing for little tweaks or easy modifications.

The real win with the ship editor is the ability to define coordinates for bounds, engines and hardpoints. Those tasks were the most time-consuming and error-prone before.
Really? Measure tool in gimp is awesome for that. I find all the coordinates that way. Clicking on the sprite is too niggly and imprecise.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »

I managed to fix it.. Searched on the internet for a solution and it turns out its CSV's are racist :P

I live in Europe, more specifically Sweden, and we use a comma as the decimal sign, and the ; thingy as a separator. thats what messes up with excel, it uses the computers settings when determining what to separate with..

Fixed it by changing computer to use . for decimals and , for separator.

I just gotta be careful when I want to write decimals and what not to use the . now :P

Now when i open the csv is excel it opens all nice and separated.

best of all though is the fact that Starfarer doesn't crash horribly when I start it :P
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

51ppycup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »

I'd say just grab OpenOffice.  It's 100% free and open source.  Make sure you get it from a legit site though (like SourceForge), and be careful not to install any advertiser products that may come "conveniently" bundled with it.  ;)

EDIT: Yay, you fixed it :D

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »

I'd say just grab OpenOffice.  It's 100% free and open source.  Make sure you get it from a legit site though (like SourceForge), and be careful not to install any advertiser products that may come "conveniently" bundled with it.  ;)

EDIT: Yay, you fixed it :D

Your not out of the water yet mister :P

Now you need to put up a video tutorial of how to get the ships in game, (and not just hack it into an existing campaign) I mean so the AI fleets uses it too!

EDIT: I took it upon myself to make the .ship files for the ships, one Energy based and one Ballistic Based. Please note, I did not include any missile launchers.
I cannot say how balanced they are compared to other cruisers, but I did make their stats based on other vanilla cruisers.

Took quite some time to get the bounds right.. since I'm a bit of the perfectionist I did it by hand in the .ship file.. just using the ship editor to get the approximate coordinates, but I can happily say, both sides of the ship are identical as far as bounds go.

The turrets on the other hand, don't seem to be quite mirrored, they are off by 1 pixel sideways. but I matched them to the .png so I blame 51ppycup :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?2z2rr9dq0jjp3k9 both in one mod

And

http://www.mediafire.com/?8zgd239c78m3n7p seperate mods

Also note, this does nothing to add them into the campaign as I do not know how to do that other than hacking a save file. (which is shown in the tutorial video)

EDIT Seems I made an error in the -ship files, will reupload asap.

EDIT 2: Fixed, Please note I have not had a chance to actually test these at all.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:08:05 AM by Plasmatic »
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer
Pages: 1 [2]