Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Patrol HQ / Military base / High command  (Read 15727 times)

Shyrka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Patrol HQ / Military base / High command
« on: August 09, 2019, 02:58:19 AM »

I'm confused about the usage of these buildings.
  • Patrol HQ: It seems to make "Fast pickets" to protect the system from pirates, but don't ever abandon the system. Is this correct? If yes, Is more than 1 needed if you have more than 1 colony in the system? Or that wolud be redundant?
  • Military base: The description says that id needed to project power in several solar systems. What does this mean exactly? It make bigger fleets and send them to other systems where you have colonies? If yes, do you need more than 1 military base if you have several colonies in different solar systems? Are any use for Patro HQ if you have MB somewhere in the sector?
  • High command: This looks like a bigger MB to project power to all sector. If you have 1 high command, do you need at all any other colony with patrol HQ or MB? Or it will be redundant?
Thank you very much and sorry for my poor English.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Patrol HQ / Military base / High command
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 03:13:06 AM »

Currently military buildings only send patrols to the system they are in. High Command's description is a placeholder still. Patrol HQ spawns only 2 light patrols and it's only useful for automatic capturing of space infrastructure. Military Base and High Command spawn more and bigger fleets, with number also scaling with the colony's size, but they only patrol the system and a bit of hyperspace around it. Patrols from all 3 stack, so it's useful to do so to make your colonies more secure.
It's not possible to order any kind of missions (yet?).

Shyrka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 03:32:15 AM »

Thank you for the info.
What if you have 2 planets in 1 system, and one of it has a patrol hq? Will the fleets of that platrol hq protect the other colony too? Or will only take care of its own home?
If you have more than 1 military building, will each of one make its own fleets, so there will be more fleets in the system?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:36:59 AM by Shyrka »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 03:38:26 AM »

Yes, those buildings stack and colonies will patrol other colonies as well.

Shyrka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 12:23:32 AM »

BTW, Military base is categorized as "Industry", but Patrol HQ and High Command are not. Is this intended?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 12:28:46 AM »

BTW, Military base is categorized as "Industry", but Patrol HQ and High Command are not. Is this intended?
PHQ is supposed to be a non Industry yes. And High Command is tagged as an industry in the data files so where are you seeing it as a non industry?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 02:39:08 PM »

wow, this info helps me alot. i'm trying my best to avoid active rebel cells and keeping them sleeper (i think the default is 7 to keep sleeper cells sleeping) and that means being very careful about rampant AI use - that and bribing the inspection fleets.

high commands cost alot in maintenance so at least it's worth it to splurge to get overlapping coverage when i'm in a 4 planet system all my own.

it's kind of funny how orbital works might be 6, but a high command doesn't even bother those luddites unless i plug an AI in.

==========

oh, i had a question: if i have a heavy industry & commerce on my best planet for population, do i need a military+ base there for item sales or can i have the high command elsewhere?
followup to that: do i need to have my commerce/heavy industry/high command all on one planet to get the benefit when spawning juicy weaponry and ships, or can i have them all on different planets to spread out the luddite aggro?

Scorpixel

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 05:43:48 PM »

Considering the gains from even "empty" (no moneymaking industries) colonies, the cost of spamming patrol HQ everywhere is all but insignificant.
Same goes for HCs, until the game is able to punish you in some way for flooding the market with demand (aka when there's 20 units of fuel and 30 hulls available in the whole sector but you alone need 100 and 80) it's a more than worth-it industry slot.

As for the Heavy industry question, it does not matter where it is as long as it's there, the effect of it is faction-wide (even your crappy outpost on the fringe of the map would benefit from upgraded ship quality), do not remember if commerce spawns a military market if there's a military/HC along it, as i'm never using it (i mean it's only here so you can sell things, i'd rather dump my excess ressources at the corresponding industries needing it and the redundant blueprints/survey data at the closest npc market), the industry slot here is not exactly fantastic/

BUT the presence of a bonus market or not is irrelevant, as custom production allows you to command specific ships without any D-mods for extremely cheap (and even some weapons, supplies/fuel/crew to go with it are offered)
Also the pather cells do not matter, they literally don't, consider them a mandatory pitiful -1 stability.

Conclusion: Nothing beat having an impenetrable system full of your own fleets, they're the ones babysitting me now!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 05:46:43 PM by Scorpixel »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »

Also, pathers are bugged in the current patch so there are no actual consequences to pather cells. Presumably they will be fixed at some point but right now there's no need to worry about them.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 06:41:07 PM by intrinsic_parity »

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »

Ahhh...cheers. It did seem like Alex was planning on coding in events that would disrupt an industry just like an unbribed inspection for AI

they REALLY didnt like it when i absconded with the cores on the eve of the inspection. Lol

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 07:35:20 AM »

Perhaps the descriptions could do with being more specific and informative. For instance "military base" places in mind a terrestrial army, like ground defences, rather than giving a larger fleet. Military Space Base? Naval Base? Fleet Base? Fleet Command? Suchlike might be a better name.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 08:13:39 AM »

I like the name "fleet command", though it might blend with "high command" too much. The latter could be renamed to something like "system headquarters"... Or not. I still like the "fleet command" name.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 03:48:56 PM »

Perhaps the descriptions could do with being more specific and informative. For instance "military base" places in mind a terrestrial army, like ground defences, rather than giving a larger fleet. Military Space Base? Naval Base? Fleet Base? Fleet Command? Suchlike might be a better name.

Military base does produce marines though....