Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Colonies Cause World Wars  (Read 7083 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colonies Cause World Wars
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 09:59:02 AM »

I think colonies were supposed to be something to start at midgame (a bit later than what I call midgame, but long before when player acquires his final killer endgame fleet), but as implemented, they feel more like a reward for winning the game because starting before endgame is very painful if player does not know exactly what he is doing.  Either Alex fixes the scaling, for both named bounties and colony progression, or he adds more strategic content akin to a 4x game for the next phase of the game beyond current, which is something he does not want to add much of.  I suspect next endgame would be quests or plot stuff akin to Red Planet, or invasion from overpowered boss faction.

I doubt adding even bigger thirty capital fleets for the next endgame would be good.  It would just means player will avoid them, or if he has to fight them, use more cheese like Drover and Spark spam.

Endgame ten capital death fleets are bigger than anything from previous versions, including the hundred small pirate ship hordes from last release, or the 30 to 45 ships before that, or Hegemony System Defense Fleet from 0.6.2 or earlier (which was on par with a 200k or so bounty).

P.S.  0.9.1a made colonies and ships more expensive than last release (and before), in an attempt to prolong the game before endgame.  Unfortunately, bounty scaling was not slowed down to compensate, which makes it easy for bounties to scale faster than player can keep up.  Also, bigger endgame fleets means longer fights and ships run out of peak performance frequently, and peak performance times were calibrated during the 0.6.x days when endgame fights were much smaller, the HSDF or 200k bounty equivalent.  Player without his killer endgame fleet and 500 map size will take multiple rounds to finish fights.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:09:32 AM by Megas »

firestormXL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »

I did not see it mentioned here, but while the expedition fleets are still scrambling I found that you can use your influence within the faction or grease some palms to disrupt the expedition in the planning stages in the Intel menu, much like giving orders for what to do during AI inspection fleet.

Sometimes doling out 100k is a small price to pay to continue exploring the stars

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 06:53:43 AM »

Using your influence costs -25 rep.  That is a lot.  Not to mention you need high enough rep to use this option in the first place.

Bribes may start at 100k but quickly escalate up to one million per event.  With Free Port on, expeditions are too frequent to bribe away.  Player will lose money that way.

There are only two viable options once you turn on Free Port.  Fight expeditions periodically for -5 rep (then grind lost rep back up) or decivilize all of major factions' worlds to stop them permanently.  (You may want a commission if you want to spare one major faction, they will not attack a commission holder.)

Sat bombing all of the major factions out of the sector will cut monthly income by about half, but then there is no one stopping you from installing alpha cores on every planet you want to colonize as long as you can find alpha cores.  Colonies produce some income from population alone.
Pages: 1 [2]