Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Sector Settings  (Read 4636 times)

vagrant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sector Settings
« on: August 06, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »

So I know many of us here have been playing the game for quite a while, and have developed our own preferences on how starsector should be configured. I personally have made a handful of changes to my settings.json and wanted to see if anyone else had changes of their own that they have enjoyed playing with.

Notable changes in my settings file:
CAMPAIGN
"sectorWidth":810000,
"sectorHeight":500000,  // These required me to resize the hyperstorm map as well to fit properly

"speedPerBurnLevel":40,    //doubled from vanilla to facilitate larger sector size

BOUNTY
"minSystemBounties":5,
"maxSystemBounties":7,

"minPersonBounties":5,
"maxPersonBounties":7,

"minPirateBases":5,
"maxPirateBases":7,

//target rich environment

ARMOR
"maxArmorDamageReduction":0.99,
"minArmorFraction":0.01,

//Up from 85% max and down from 15% minimum. Makes armor and the lack of it feel much more significant. Fragmentation is especially useless at high armor totals and especially deadly without any. Makes holes in armor feel even more meaningful to defend.

SPEED
"zeroFluxEngineBoost":200,

//Up from 50, not nearly as crazy as it looks. Ships don't gain additional accel/decel or maneuver so this boost is only really good for pre-battle and between engagements. Pursuits are faster, but not safer by any real margin.

Has anyone else made changes to these or any other areas of their settings to customize Starsector to their liking?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Sector Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »

The only one I change is the global combat speed (I forgot the name), which I change from 1f to 2f.  Without that, I probably remove Starsector from my computer because the game is too slow paced.  (Framerate is fine, just the pace is slow as molasses.)  Even double speed is slightly on the slow side.  I would set it higher (ideally 3f) if fidelity could be preserved.

In 0.9.1a, there is a setting to toggle campaign speed to double, which was very nice.  I like to see a similar one for combat.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »

Some of those changes seem like they could be pretty good. Think I might experiment more than usual with my next run.

"altMouseMoveToMassTransfer":true
A QoL setting I can't do without anymore.

"enableSpacerStart":true
For when I'm feeling masochistic.

Other than that and the stipend changes from ruthless sector I tend to keep the settings pretty vanilla.

Another change I like to make is to halve both the OP cost and burn speed bonus of augmented drive field. Otherwise I end up with ADF Cruisers and frigates or ADF Capitals and destroyers.

One setting change I've been considering lately is something like this:
"crewSalary":10 -> 25
"marineSalary":20 -> 50
"officerSalaryBase":500 -> 50
"officerSalaryPerLevel":100 -> 10
Just because I often catch myself avoiding acquiring or deploying officers due to the expense involved.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »

Officers are worth many times the money they're currently at, I would honestly think about increasing it.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »

Officers are worth many times the money they're currently at
Oh, absolutely! At least, they are once you can afford to pay them, which, admittedly, is right at the start of the game for most people

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »

I increase the maxshipsinfleet to 100 to avoid getting *** over with ship recovery, increase maxshipsinAIfleet to 40, turn on altmousemovetomasstransfer just because it's so convenient, increase the number of economy fleets a bit, enable spacer mode and disable stipend. I used to change maximum armour reduction, until II came out and it became a more significant balance concern.
//Up from 85% max and down from 15% minimum. Makes armor and the lack of it feel much more significant. Fragmentation is especially useless at high armor totals and especially deadly without any. Makes holes in armor feel even more meaningful to defend.
This is because in previous versions the best way to deal with an Onslaught was to strip its armour and then kill it with vulcans, which have lots of damage per second, but little damage per hit. It was pretty... Ridiculous. Both of these values work at their extremes (100% possible damage reduction, 0% leftover armour).

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 09:51:43 AM »

What does altmousemovetomasstransfer do? I've never heard about it before

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »

It allows you to transfer items between inventories by holding alt and dragging the mouse over items. It makes it a lot quicker to unload weapons into your stash. It works, but I think a simple store/sell all weapons would be more elegant and useful.

ChaosRemnant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »

Is there a setting that increases the number of stars generated in the map or is that just done by adding an increase to the map size?

Septentrion

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 01:55:38 PM »

There are settings I would like to change but all my searching yields nothing (hence me finally biting the bullet to create and account and post).

What I would change if it's possible is to vastly reduce the reputation hit for saturation bombardment.  Take the full -150 for who you bomb, -25 for everyone else, but if the faction you bomb is in a conflict, then the faction they're at war with don't react negatively to your bombing at all.  I'd also reduce the frequency of pirate and ludic path problems (would be great if the $ value of damage you did to them acted as a buffer that had to decay before they even considered looking at you again).