Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OpenGL - Invalid enum 1280  (Read 1285 times)

Shneiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
OpenGL - Invalid enum 1280
« on: August 04, 2019, 05:38:00 AM »

Hello, as you might think with titlle I can't seem to launch Starsector at all.
I've been on it for a couples of hours so i can kind of understand whats happening.
Problem is, it doesn't matter what i tried it doesn't seem to work.
All of my drivers are up to date but it doesn't change anything.
I'm on a Intel with window 8 x64 (laptop).

Here's the part of log file that have an error, but you'll pretty much get the same thing as what the others that have encountered this issue on the forum.

4235 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Running vanilla game with no mods.
4236 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.settings.StarfarerSettings  - Loading settings
4237 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [ABSOLUTE_AND_CWD: null (data/config/settings.json)]
4271 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.graphics.L  - Using refresh rate:60
4594 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Cleaned buffer for texture graphics/particleline32ln.png (using cast)
4598 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.graphics.TextureLoader  - Cleaned buffer for texture graphics/particleline32sq.png (using cast)
4696 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid enum (1280)
org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid enum (1280)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:59)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsContextImplementation.setSwapInterval(WindowsContextImplementation.java:113)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.ContextGL.setSwapInterval(ContextGL.java:232)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.DrawableGL.setSwapInterval(DrawableGL.java:86)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.setSwapInterval(Display.java:1129)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.setVSyncEnabled(Display.java:1142)
   at com.fs.starfarer.loading.ResourceLoaderState.init(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hope you can help me with that, the games seems to be incredible.
Thanks!

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: OpenGL - Invalid enum 1280
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:01:36 AM »

Does your laptop have dedicated GPU?

Shneiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:06:09 AM »

Nope its an integrated one.

Yeah, i read somewhere that Intel is kind of a mess with dedicated GPU and that you have to install specific driver for each of the graphic cards or something like that. I hoped it would be something like that for me but unfortunately its not from what i know.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:09:41 AM by Shneiden »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »

Hmm. It does work on Intel cards in general, though, so it might be a case of tweaking your graphics settings somehow - does Intel have something equivalent to Nvidia's control panel or AMD's CCC?

It does sound like a "very old graphics driver" issue, though, at least, any other time I remember seeing that, that's what it was. Argh. I wonder if it's just a question of only a certain set of drivers being available for your laptop, and those just not being up to snuff.

I'm sorry about the trouble, in any case!

Shneiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »

Yes there's an equivalent but its really not as great and detailed.

Hmmm, it may be the case. My laptop is not for gaming at all but it can handle "basic" game that does not require fancy setting. I generaly never struggle to run indi game at all. I bought it back in 2015 tho so maybe its getting old.

PS : Don't worry, i'll figure something out.

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 08:34:41 AM »

It's not that old. I'd try cleanly uninstalling GPU drivers and then installing the latest ones available.

Shneiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 08:42:50 AM »

I don't think its the driver.

Intel pretty much have an assistance tool that does the cheking of all of your drivers on the spot and manage all of the updates.
All of my driver are up to dates, unfortunatly. As soon as i saw that the other anwser gravitated around a drivers problem, i checked mine to see if it was the same for me.

Edit : Just to be sure, i'll re-do it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:51:37 AM by Shneiden »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 04:39:19 AM »

One of the Google search results for "OpenGLException 1280" was this, if you haven't tried it already:

You have an advanced option set for your graphics adapter (probably Intel). Go to its control panel and disable anything that mentions "enhance," as well as set any other options to "let the application decide."

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 03:10:43 PM »

Yeah, Intel has a long (and sordid) history of not properly supporting OpenGL applications out of the box.

org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsContextImplementation.setSwapInterval() is, essentially, trying to set the time, in milliseconds, for the buffers to swap, according to LWJGL's documentation

If the video drivers don't support buffer-swapping in OpenGL, then there are serious problems.  Sounds like it's a super-weak Intel integrated GPU and Intel's drivers don't support OpenGL properly.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Shneiden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 03:25:23 PM »

OMG!

It worked! YESSSSSS!
I pretty much tweaked all of the option that enhance the quality and made it prioritize performance over anything. It finally launched!
Thanks for the solution! It really helped me out. I was pretty much set on searching a Starsector like to be honest. Sadly, except Wayward Terran that have an interresting gameplay for space battle i didn't find anything that came close to what Starsector is like!

Again, thanks a bunch people! ^^