Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I HAVE MANAGED TO GET STARSECTOR RUNNING ON ANDROID  (Read 15439 times)

Mkjafu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I HAVE MANAGED TO GET STARSECTOR RUNNING ON ANDROID
« on: August 03, 2019, 11:59:44 PM »

Hi I'm new here!(came from the sseth video) and I've been trying to get this game playing on android and I actually found a way to do it!

Screenshots:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-E5vaw2P8Dwbx41omjsD07lpHWSRuoR6/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2WfvvnVzaPtZDU6OCZdMMC4hCGLTiyV/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GVVcUAp3uM4aC6yOcr2kcdOsMUeqVS_/view?usp=drivesdk

TUTORIAL ON HOW TO DO IT
1. Download and Install a cracked version of Exagear windows emulator (since its unavailable on the playstore)
2. Download these files:
https://fdossena.com/?p=mesa/index.frag (opengl32.dll)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-6wRAQxiOjhI2L1H_WdmBcIak_loUX1C/view?usp=drivesdk (dsound.dll)
3. Extract the files provided in step no.2 and put them in your phone's downloads folder.
4. Copy your ENTIRE starsector folder to your ANDROID phone's "Downloads folder".
5. Open "Exagear windows emulator" then go to the "Manage Containers" section.
6. Create a new container by pressing the cross button on the top right corner.
7. Press the 3 vertical buttons on the side of your newly created container, then select properties.
8. Set the container properties to these:
[Name]------------------------------------Anything
[Screen Resolution]----------------1024x768(4:3)
[Color Depth]--------------------------32bit
[Screen Controls]-------------------Rts or Fallout (bluetooh or OTG mouse and keyboard recommended) (Hackers Keyboard alslo recommended)
[Locale]----------------------------------default
-uncheck all 3 boxes below-
9. Press the 3 vertical buttons again and select "Run Explorer"
10.find and copy the "opengl32.dll" file which was extracted from step no.2 and put it in this directory
C:/windows/system32 (if a prompt pops up press "yes")
11.press the start button and press run
12. Type "winecfg" then press "ok"
13. Press the "libraries" section
14. type "opengl32" in the box below the "new override for libray" then press "add"
15. Go back to the "Applications tab and change the windows verion from "XP" to "7"
16. Select apply then ok
17. Reboot Exagear by closing it and opening it again.
18. Run your Container again. Copy and put the "dsound.dll" file from step 2 to your starsector folder on your downloads folder; copied from your computer.
19. "Right click" on the starsector.exe and press "Create link"(optional)
20. Run it

P.S I know it runs like RADIO EDIT but I'm just here to show that Statsector is capable of running on android if properly ported.

Also to those who will eventually comment to "keep out" the mobile "gamers" stfu starsector is a single player game so you wont be affected anyway you fat RADIO EDIT.

I'm Mkjafu, and thank you for coming to my TedTalk.

IT'S STILL MODABLE ON ANDROID
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 08:44:57 PM by Alex »

Madao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: I HAVE MANAGED TO GET STARSECTOR RUNNING ON ANDROID
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 04:27:00 AM »

You madlad, I dont' know why you'd do it, but you did it. Good work.

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
  • TTK is not representative of combat performance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »

aww yeah, time to break out my Ouya

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 08:13:59 PM »

I am so impressed that I am actually quite intimidated. There are levels of madlad on display here I didn't realize were possible.

JadedTarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »

I absolutely love how the train of thought was "Discover Starsector.  Make it work on Android.  Create account on the forum.  Dive into the game's characters folder.  Choose Brigador's Man from Volta as profile pic.  Intimidate Surge."  In like a single day.

It's truly a beautiful thing.  Bask in its majesty.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 08:45:19 PM »

Two things:
1) This is really impressive and pretty awesome!
3) Please don't get around the forum's profanity filter with ascii stuff; it's against the rules. I made a few, ah, edits.

LeoMaximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 08:51:06 PM »

Nice Job, wow starsector on android smartphones.

Praise the Man from Volta, I know a fellow Brigador.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 12:51:29 AM »

What's the performance like?
How much of the slowdown is attributable to the Windows wrapper?

A direct port of the compiled binary would be a 'fun' project.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 02:17:15 AM »

Next step, the Switch!

Mkjafu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 03:45:32 AM »

What's the performance like?
How much of the slowdown is attributable to the Windows wrapper?

A direct port of the compiled binary would be a 'fun' project.

The performance on my phone is Really Bad, it barely reaches 5 fps, but part of the reason on why it's so slow is that my phone is an old piece of junk from 2015 that's still rocking a snapdragon 808, so I reckon you might be able to play this at 15-20 fps on newer phones, or if you're smart enough to use Wine on Android you might be able to make it a little bit faster, but I'm a literal poo poo head, who doesn't know anything about the more technical stuff so I can't do it.

Although if this game was properly ported it could easily run on phones built in 2015, since I don't think this game is more demanding that DOOM 3, Simcity 4, Homeworld, RTCW, or Morrowind which runs fine(30-40fps) on my phone, also Vulkan support is pretty common in new phones so that can also help in running the game, but what do I know. I'm not a develper.

bloesendgw

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 11:47:19 PM »

Hi I'm new here!(came from the sseth video) and I've been trying to get this game playing on android and I actually found a way to do it!

Screenshots:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-E5vaw2P8Dwbx41omjsD07lpHWSRuoR6/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2WfvvnVzaPtZDU6OCZdMMC4hCGLTiyV/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-GVVcUAp3uM4aC6yOcr2kcdOsMUeqVS_/view?usp=drivesdk

TUTORIAL ON HOW TO DO IT
1. Download and Install a cracked version of Exagear windows emulator (since its unavailable on the playstore)
2. Download these files:
https://fdossena.com/?p=mesa/index.frag (opengl32.dll)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-6wRAQxiOjhI2L1H_WdmBcIak_loUX1C/view?usp=drivesdk (dsound.dll)
3. Extract the files provided in step no.2 and put them in your phone's downloads folder.
4. Copy your ENTIRE starsector folder to your ANDROID phone's "Downloads folder".
5. Open "Exagear windows emulator" then go to the "Manage Containers" section.
6. Create a new container by pressing the cross button on the top right corner.
7. Press the 3 vertical buttons on the side of your newly created container, then select properties.
8. Set the container properties to these:
[Name]------------------------------------Anything
[Screen Resolution]----------------1024x768(4:3)
[Color Depth]--------------------------32bit
[Screen Controls]-------------------Rts or Fallout (bluetooh or OTG mouse and keyboard recommended) (Hackers Keyboard alslo recommended)
[Locale]----------------------------------default
-uncheck all 3 boxes below-
9. Press the 3 vertical buttons again and select "Run Explorer"
10.find and copy the "opengl32.dll" file which was extracted from step no.2 and put it in this directory
C:/windows/system32 (if a prompt pops up press "yes")
11.press the start button and press run
12. Type "winecfg" then press "ok"
13. Press the "libraries" section
14. type "opengl32" in the box below the "new override for libray" then press "add"
15. Go back to the "Applications tab and change the windows verion from "XP" to "7"
16. Select apply then ok
17. Reboot Exagear by closing it and opening it again.
18. Run your Container again. Copy and put the "dsound.dll" file from step 2 to your starsector folder on your downloads folder; copied from your computer.
19. "Right click" on the starsector.exe and press "Create link"(optional)
20. Run it

P.S I know it runs like RADIO EDIT but I'm just here to show that Statsector is capable of running on android if properly ported.

Also to those who will eventually comment to "keep out" the mobile "gamers" stfu starsector is a single player game so you wont be affected anyway you fat RADIO EDIT.

I'm Mkjafu, and thank you for coming to my TedTalk.

IT'S STILL MODABLE ON ANDROID

Instead of the Emulator what if we download the exagear app(https://publicapks.com/exagear-apk/) and do it on the Android Phone? Or will only the PC be the suggested way out?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:27:51 PM by bloesendgw »

basileus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 07:59:24 AM »

You could also approach this the other way around.  I believe that most Linux distros now have RISC chipset support, so you can install Linux on many Android devices and then run the Linux version of Starsector natively, which might provide for better performance.  (But then your phone wouldn't be a phone, so probably only something to consider for a tablet... and you'd want to make sure there was driver support for the wifi etc..)  While I haven't personally installed Linux on an Android tablet, I did install Ubuntu on a Raspberry Pi years ago.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:04:39 AM by basileus »

Doctorhealsgood

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 11:46:29 AM »

You absolute wizard.
Quote from: Doctorhealsgood
Sometimes i feel like my brain has been hit by salamanders not gonna lie.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2023, 09:05:48 PM »

I--

I could play starsector while I'm at work waiting for my shift to start.  (I have to leave early or get caught in hideous traffic and be late.)

Never even considered getting any kind of emulator on a damn phone...but mine doesn't have any kind of keypad or anything so I REALLY don't see that working well with just touchscreen controls...

Low Settings

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2023, 09:53:17 PM »

If Starsector was available on android then maybe I don't need them Windows handhelds anymore
Pages: [1] 2