Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starsector should be on steam!  (Read 8776 times)

sevensrequiem

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector should be on steam!
« on: August 03, 2019, 09:31:28 PM »

It really should, it's a great game and I didn't even know about it until a youtuber did a review on it. And this is the type of game I like! I've never even heard about this game and steam would make it so much easier for people to find it even without someone reviewing it. Not only that but the steam workshop would work great for this game!

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector should be on steam!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 10:14:13 PM »

It will go on storefronts... When it is ready™.

bowman

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 10:53:28 PM »

The game has been in development for many, many years now. My guess is Alex will put it on steam once he hits 1.0, which makes sense.

The main thing here is that if he had tried to put this on steam when he first released it then it would have faded into obscurity even though he's been updating it all this time. You can see how people take to significant changes by looking at Stellaris. There's plenty of people complaining about that game no longer being what they originally bought which, while I admit to be an understandable criticism, isn't one that truly makes sense to me. I mention this because at the very least the next version will include a redesign of the skill tree (as seen in the last blog post). Better to finish all the big changes so he can mark it as a largely-finished game rather than have to post it under Early Access or Development tags- which would likely turn off many potential customers.

TL;DR I think Alex should continue with his plan of "When it is ready", as MesoTroniK said.

Otherwise though, welcome to the forum and hope you're enjoying the game!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 11:01:36 PM »

The combined wisdom of indie devs over the last decade is that you only get one 'launch' for a game on Steam, and that includes Early Access; if you mess it up, you don't get a second chance when your game is actually finished.

The game is probably the most polished it's been in a few release cycles right now, but a few of them would have been PR catastrophes in Early Access, coupled with the slow pace of development. I want the game to do well and for Alex to be able to make more games in the future; I think the strategy of waiting until the game is complete to launch on Steam is a good one.

(Brigador has a similar level of complexity and launched in a state best called unfinished, which nearly sank it; mechanically rich indie titles with niche appeal really have to stick that initial launch window and make a good first impression to survive in the marketplace.)

p0atay

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 03:52:39 AM »

I really want to play this game but this game is not in steam right now. If this game we bougth here can be linked to steam, it will be the best

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 05:12:22 AM »

Nothing keeps you from playing it.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 05:40:23 AM »

Praise Alex tm.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 05:42:02 AM »

Nothing keeps you from playing it.
What about cheevos and game time tracking? Without those, we are like cavemen.