Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod Request - Battlestar Galactica Colonial Ships  (Read 1935 times)

sevensrequiem

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Mod Request - Battlestar Galactica Colonial Ships
« on: August 03, 2019, 09:28:07 PM »

As the title says. I'd like to play with the colonial ships

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Request - Battlestar Galactica Colonial Ships
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 10:46:37 PM »

What kind of pay are you offering?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 01:38:13 AM »

What kind of pay are you offering?

Lol, yeah to be fair it's a fairly substantial amount of work that's being asked for here. Not something done on a whim.

I'd reccormend these mods for good carrier/battlecarrier based ships (that I know of):

Diable Avionics: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10046.0

Mayasuran Navy: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=13239.0

Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=3491.0
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 07:24:43 PM »

It's really more that if you're not paying, you have to be offering a really compelling pitch, much more than 'I want this'. Pitch me on why you think it would be cool and a worthwhile use of time (I thought the new BSG was kind of lackluster and it hasn't aged all that well; triply so for the original), why I would want to sink time into writing code or painting sprites for it (and what you bring to the table; if you can't code and you can't do art you're not much of a contributor, frankly).

Lots of people have started mods and not finished them, or kept them up for a while and then stopped, too, so you also have to have a pitch for why it's worth maintaining.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 08:57:30 PM »

IIRC, BSG ships are available either as top-views or schematics.

So (depending on the artist) we're talking a man-week or longer to create the sprites alone; merely converting / resizing them to SS scales won't look good, and usually, with stuff like that, we're talking about a mishmash of varying quality, etc., which would be difficult to bring together (and this presumes that we're not starting from scratch).  So they'd have to be pretty good.

And, well, the end result would be both an IP that might get you a good ol' C&D or a nasty email requiring you kill the mod after weeks of integrating the art, developing code and other assets to make it deployable.  In general, sci-fi IPs tend to be gentle on modders... but you just never know. 

But hey, OP, now you know where you can start this project, if that's what you really want to see in this game; good luck :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 03:21:54 AM »

A man week (even assuming 7 x 24h) is very optimistic given how rough the source material is and how difficult it is to really match the quality of the vanilla sprites. Then double that to code some new interesting systems and do the campaign integration, and a third time to do all the ancillary stuff like lore writing, planets and sounds. I would be surprised if anyone besides a good veteran modder could get it done in less than 500 hours. And that's without the subsequent maintenance through updates.

Sabor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »

I don't think it would take much time if you got the permission from a couple people. Top down sprites exist for plenty of ships. There's several games that have used them in mods, like Stardrive, that would already be good to go for the most part.

The real issue is you're not going to be able to make a Battlestar true to the series inside the game due to how your weapons are listed at the bottom of your screen during a battle. You'd have a list of weapon top to bottom of your screen the entire time blocking your view unless you piloted a different ship, and who wants to pilot anything other than a Battlestar?

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »

I'd take a Basestar myself!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile