Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Multi Monitor Error  (Read 2618 times)

Haschamala

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Multi Monitor Error
« on: August 03, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »

When i try to start the game it starts on both monitors at ones and i cant input anything on the main monitor with the mouse only on the second.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:26:37 AM by Haschamala »

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Multi Monitor Error
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »

Does it work correctly in windowed mode? Maybe try forcing it into borderless windowed using Borderless Gaming

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 10:47:53 AM »

Sorry about the trouble! What operating system are you using?

Sort of a standard thing to ask, but are your graphics drivers up to date? Generally speaking the game should work on a multi-monitor setup, so it's hard to say offhand what might be going wrong here.

Cker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 09:33:36 PM »

Hey, just wanted to say i've been having the EXACT same problem.
Seems like its running the main window on my preferred monitor, but then, from what I can see a second function is rendering it on my laptop (not set as main) screen.

But i've found a solution.

I put the computer into sleep mode, open it back up, start the game again, and then it seems to stay in the correct window.

Not sure if this is very helpful, but this works for me every time this happens now.

I am using Windows 10 with the latest Nvidia 431.60 drivers.

Hope this helps.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »

I have/had this problem.  It used to work properly for NVidia, but their recent driver updates (the ones published to fix their security flaws) messed up trying to game with StarSector and Minecraft with multi monitors.  To get it to work I had to disable in windows the second monitor (not just turn it off).  Then the game worked fine on the primary monitor.  So for me at least, in short, it used to work, Nvidia broke it, there's a work around (for me anyway).

Haschamala

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 02:50:12 AM »

Sorry about the trouble! What operating system are you using?

Sort of a standard thing to ask, but are your graphics drivers up to date? Generally speaking the game should work on a multi-monitor setup, so it's hard to say offhand what might be going wrong here.

Just latest win10 with latest nvidia drivers on a rtx2080

Haschamala

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 05:31:45 PM »

Okay the problem kinda fixed itself without me doing anything.
Weird

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »

... I'll take it :)

softgrip

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 08:15:28 PM »

I have this problem too.

Latest Windows 10.

Latest NVidia drivers.

2080 TI, 8700k, 32gb 3200mhz blah blah.

I also had this problem with Quake 2 RTX, and Dota 2 when it was using Vulkan or OpenGL.

In the case of Dota 2, it was fixed by forcing DX11.

----

Edit - both my monitors are 1920*1080.  Primary at 240hz, secondary at 144hz.

If I select 1920 * 1080 I get the problem with or without fullscreen.  In fact, it appears the game is always in fullscreen at this resolution.

If I select a different resolution (1680 * 1050) and disable fullscreen, the game works fine.

If I select different resolution and enable fullscreen, there are problems and lots of flickering.

If I select 1680 * 1050 then force it to fullscreen with another app (like http://runtimeterror.com/tools/fullscreenizer/ or any of the borderless maximizer apps) the problem occurs.

I've made a video of the problem this thread is describing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFEcYzIICE
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:07:31 PM by softgrip »

dmiha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »

Turned the game off this morning, when I got home and started it up, this issue started. No idea if my computer decided to just randomly update something, I didn't change anything manually.

I have a main monitor 2560x1440 and secondary 1920x1080.

With fullscreen off:
-I can start the game normally on lower resolutions (everything up to the native resolution)
-on 2560x1440 everything stutters and lags on menu screen, my secondary monitor goes black, like the game is trying to stretch the view on both screen for some reason?
-if I start the game on 3620x2036, everything runs normally again, no stutter or lag, game screen is stretched on both monitors but doesnt have enough height to fit

With fullscreen on:
-at 1920x1080, game starts up, main is showing the load line and mouse pointer, secondary is showing the actual game (menu screen), no lag or stutter, and if i move the mouse (which is on main) i can select menu options on secondary, some weird cloning?
-at 3620x2036, game stretches across both, nothing lags or stutters but there is ofc not enough height to fit
-every other resolution (1920x1200...2560x1440...1600x900...), game is back on main monitor with stutter and lag, secondary monitor blacks out

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 11:49:58 AM »

Hmm - it sounds like windows probably decided to update your graphics drivers. If you're able to downgrade back to what they were earlier, that would hopefully help. Unless you're able to identify something else that changed and is causing this.

One thought is using a restore point? But that always carriers a bit of risk.

dmiha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 12:02:14 PM »

I installed couple of mods last night (had no mods at all before that), everything was working fine, no idea if that is related in any way. But when I got the issue, first thing I did is turn them all off.
As for drivers, I actually didn't update my nvidia drivers to newest one, had a reminder for it. So after this issue started, I did update, but that changed nothing. Not sure about windows updates.
Reinstalled the game, nothing changed.

Did the "put computer to sleep" trick someone mentioned, and it solved it, works correctly on all resolutions with fullscreen on or off. Very bizarre.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 12:15:49 PM »

Yeah, that is odd indeed. Thank you for telling me that the "sleep" trick worked, good to keep in mind if/when others have the same issue!

Shaeris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2019, 09:53:53 PM »

The sleep mode trick didn't work for me, but there's another bandaid solution. Playing the game in windowed mode, and set to a resolution just under that of your monitor's native setting will avoid the cloning issue outright.