Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: These pirate raids and untouchable pirate raiding party is ridiculous  (Read 1714 times)

Punisher30

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I got raided and right after the raid, another raid was on its way and then another and another. Not to mention, their fleet is massive and untouchable. I watched one of there fleet raid other factions systems and had the other faction ships run away. I seen one faction engage one of these massive pirate fleet that was attacking their station. The station and the faction fleet was wipe out. This needs to be rebalance. No way should a pirate raiding party have an end game fleet, meaning something that a player nor other factions cant defeat. So it seems like colony building is a waste. No other faction can stop the pirates raiding party.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

I'm really surprised at all these reports and pictures of massive pirate fleets... I barely ever see them in my games. The last set of raiding fleets against one of my colonies didn't even have capitals. There must be some behind the scenes factors that determine pirate size that inadvertently I'm causing to go down.

That said, decent mid game fleets should be able to crush multi-capital pirate fleets. The fact that a faction fleet + station were wiped out is indicative of the game's auto-resolve needing a bit of fine adjustment: even a tier 1 station is nearly immune to pirates in actual play if it has a few destroyers supporting it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Hmm - I wonder if it's an issue with the version of the game. IIRC these were toned down some in 0.9.1a, so if one were to be using 0.9a for some reason...

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

I think the issue also arises if an existing high-level pirate base decides to target a young player colony, resulting in very strong raids that are likely beyond the player's ability to deal with.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Oh! Right I'm usually pretty aggressive about killing pirate bases for money... I'm probably doing a good job stopping them from ever getting large as a side effect of the bounty hunting.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Looking at the code, that does seem possible if the pirate base is within 20,000 units of the player colony. Some time would have to pass for those bases to build up too, though. A cycle or two, iirc?

Tetho

• Ensign
  • Teitoku-sama
    • View Profile

I think the issue also arises if an existing high-level pirate base decides to target a young player colony, resulting in very strong raids that are likely beyond the player's ability to deal with.
This could be one of the reasons as this happen once in my previous playthrough and I had to abandon my colony because I couldn't take that big fleet and took everything that is expensive and useful with me, it might also factor the distance as I tend to always go a bit further away from the core worlds and because of that I was able to properly set up my colony's defenses and fleets before they commenced a raid on me.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile

Yeah, usually I start a new game or completely abandon a colony if im attacked at early - mid game by a max level pirate base thats been allowed to build up because the player is the only one that ever hunts bounties (on vanilla at least).

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Yeah, in pure vanilla by the time a player is starting up colonies the existent pirate bases are maximum level unless the player knows to actively hunt them. Thus, if they've been mostly exploring, doing personal bounties, and selling the proceeds rather than compulsively hoarding it's likely that the size of the general pirate raiding bases is going to be maximum and at that point it's a matter of a bad dice roll until the swarm descends. Nexerelin handles the problem by having the factions occasionally send fleets out to swat spawned bases which is nice.

There should probably be a tip about manually culling the long-range pirate bases if vanilla isn't going to implement the factions striking back as functionality.