Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: The Positron faction mod - v0.1 w/ campaign - mod pretty much cancelled  (Read 50669 times)

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Nope. I added 8 small missile mounts and 2 small launch bays myself, and re-purposed 2 medium missile launchers into medium launch bays. Hence the odd counts. ;)
very unbalanced, just change a couple of medium mounts to universal and you have your missle capability
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

I think I'd rather lower the ordnance point count and ramp the price up a good bit, so that it cannot be filled up but does allow a whole bunch of options. Then again, I have no idea if that will actually work in-game so I might just end up going your route later on either way. :P

Another idea might be to put the price up even further, give it some significant debuffs affecting the rest of your fleet (as in very high fuel usage in the overworld, barely any cargo capability, very high crew requirements) and bump it up to the Leviathan class.

For now, I'm focusing on getting all of the custom ships into the game first. Full-on balancing starts after, and I'll be taking a lot of input there once the mod comes out as I doubt I can get all of that right by myself. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:41:49 AM by SUXpanD »

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

...14 small ballistic mounts, 7 medium ballistic mounts, 2 large ballistic mounts...

This is gonna eat your flux supply like hungry Ivaylo  ;D    I have something like that and 40k flux with 2000 flux regen went down really, really fast. So you don't have to worry about OP :) So if you want to use those weapons constantly you will need 50k-70k with 2000-3000 flux regen. Just try it with normal values and see where it's gonna lead you to...

As i see it now, making Juggernaut with bunch of weapons is very veeeery difficult job if you want to make it balanced.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Haha, yes. That's what I think will happen too. But just in case it doesn't, I have some other plans to still balance it pretty well. By the way, I just made the Ares a Leviathan officially. Even with a cost of ~300000 credits, it should still be a pretty decent investment. I'll probably set the Ares to only spawn in combat-ready fleets VERY rarely (5% chance for a fleet to spawn with it every x days?), so that capturing it is not really a possibility and you don't get your ass handed by it randomly.

So yeah, thread start update incoming. :P

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile

The ares Looks nice. But it'll be dwarfed by my leviathan. MUHAHAHAHA  ;D

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Just kitbashed together my very first ship, using medikohl's worksheets! The Speartip is to be a fast and agile frigate, designed mostly for personnel transport.

Thoughts? :P

EDIT: All ships are done and in-codex right now! There's just one small problem - the Spade isn't showing up for some reason. I'll look into it tomorrow. I also recolored a few ships to fit the overall theme better, by the way. Oh, and the Stinger Bomber looks awesome with that antimatter gun. :)

Things are starting to take shape now! ;D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:44:38 PM by SUXpanD »

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Looks good, though I'm a little surprised it has two medium turrets rather than hardpoints.  Of course I can't tell what the arcs are just from the graphic, so if they're fairly narrow it should be fine.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Thanks. They're 60-degree turrets, to allow for a bit more flexibility - I might tone them down to hardpoints later, though, if the design proves a bit too "easy". :)

EDIT: Just added the beast below to the mod, a further-modified version of the Buffalo Broadside from the sprite thread. It's called the Quartz Heavy Tanker.

EDIT #2: All stats are done! Untested, ofcourse, but still - really getting somewhere here! I hope to get a public version (with the test mission but no campaign yet) out Thursday or Friday. So far there's 21 new ships to play with, ranging from the very quick (200 speed!) Spade frigate all the way up to the Ares Leviathan with TONS of missiles on it. ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:13:39 PM by SUXpanD »

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Positron faction mod - nearing first release - ideas very welcome!
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 12:46:54 PM »

Updated the threadstart! The campaign is nearly ready for release (!), as I decided to just skip building of the planned test mission entirely. Everything's working so far, but I'm working out some of the worst kinks first before I release it to the public. Expect the first few releases to be buggy and unbalanced anyways, though - that kind of stuff comes with time, and every bit of advice I get helps towards making the mod more awesome.

Also updated lore, by the way. ;)

EDIT: Gah, Redbull's ship editor seems to be down. Time to do some kitbashing then, I guess. :P

EDIT #2: OH GOD THE PAIN IT BURNS

In other news, I've just finished all the standard ship variants that will be in the mod. I will make more at a later date, but for now this will do. Had a bit of a delay due to the ship editor being offline (I had to make some changes manually in the end - gotta love the dev mode variant editor though!), but the mod should still be releasing Saturday if things go right. ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:48:03 PM by SUXpanD »

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The Positron faction mod - v0.1 released WITH CAMPAIGN! - feedback pls
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2012, 09:02:43 AM »

Topic updated, first version is out! Pretty full-featured too - a working campaign, an orbital station that automatically gets resupplied, lots of different fleet types and a pretty good (I think) spawning rate. Check the front page for a download.

If you grab it, don't forget to leave some feedback! I'll need the help of as many people as possible to get this mod fully balanced against the core game. ;)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2012, 09:47:06 AM »

Played it a bit, fought with and against the positron forces in a few cruiser-flagship scale battles.

You're right in that the stats need some balancing - generally, the Positron forces feel a little too good for their price. That might be what you're aiming for if you thought the tri-tach weren't good enough, but I think they're just a shade too good for the cost right now.

That being said - I thought all of the support ships were going to be too tough - for example the Hauler class is pretty heavily armed for a freighter! (it also has a massive 800 cargo which I was unsure about, but I haven't really paid enough attention to cargo capacities to be sure yet)
That wasn't the case though, they went down without any trouble, never really did more than fire a couple of missiles that weren't a big threat, so perhaps I'm wrong about that.  The Onna-Stick (don't like the name but not up to me :) ) seems like it fills a hole in light-freighter, though the 2-deck carrier does seem too small to actually have 2 in my opinion.

Generally I think their shields might need to be a bit less efficient - Positron ships are either fine, or dead, with not much in between, and even my Dronart carrier just absorbed a worrying amount of fire without cracking.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »

Thanks a lot for the constructive criticism. That all-or-nothing feeling is something I noticed too with my limited play-testing, but how to go about fixing it may be a bit of a problem. Lowering the shield efficiency on some ships sounds like a good idea, but one thing I've noticed before would be that a few ships currently seem a bit too low on flux to maintain their otherwise great shields. I'll have to look into that properly later on, to avoid breaking one ship while fixing another.

The Hauler's carrying capacities come from the fact that the cargo spots on it are essentially 2/5th of those on a Atlas superfreighter. Maybe speed should come down a bit, or the missile mounts should be removed. Or the price should be raised, not sure yet.

Regarding the Onna Stick's name - any suggestions? I can imagine it being a bit immersion breaking indeed (like somebody else mentioned earlier in this topic). I still like it, but that is probably because I haven't done much actual playing yet, just lots and lots of tweaking.

I'll consider fixing the Dronart up a bit, and the Frontier could do with one less deck too. Not sure why I set it to two before, but it's a bit silly in hindsight. :P

If you have any other specific things I could look into, don't hesitate to leave a message! ;)

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »

you should lower the flux capacity of the stinger by about half

nipper wings have too many ships, also too high of hull integrity.
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 06:31:35 AM »

v0.2 is under way! Here's the changelog so far:

• Removed the Artifact as it was already in use (with both versions being nearly the same) and didn't add much to the mod either way.
  • Fixed the Frontier's dual flight deck mishap. It wasn't supposed to have two decks. :)
  • Renamed the Nipper to Nemo (Latin for "no man" or "no one") as it was in use, and made a new sprite. Also made the wing smaller (5 > 4 bombers), and a bit less sturdy.
  • Fixed some insane flux values on the Amy fighters (early debug values related to possible shields), and added an extra fighter to their wing. Also made them a bit weaker.
  • Nerfed the Stinger's flux values a bit. They can't fire that often either way due to the antimatter recharge time, so the changes should be mostly aesthetic.
  • Made the Hauler a good bit slower to be more realistic with respect to its awesome carrying capabilities. It's also a little bit cheaper now.

I'll update the OP once it comes out, and this post will see updates based on what I do. I'll probably get the biggest balance changes coming in v0.3, but individual tweaks are easy to tackle. Keep the feedback coming! :)

EDIT: Got some issues (lost progress, etc.), next version will take a bit longer to come out. :(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:01:15 AM by SUXpanD »

Timasaurus 007

• Ensign
  • Rawr, i'm a dinosaur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 12:49:55 AM »

I'll try this out :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5