Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Positron faction mod - v0.1 w/ campaign - mod pretty much cancelled  (Read 50424 times)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Positron faction mod WIP - suggestions? Ideas?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 11:59:18 AM »

Far from final, using stock weapons and with some very much untested stats, but yeah... Here she is. :)

I will make this specific weapon setup an Anti-Shield Dreadnought later.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 12:24:39 PM »

just as a bit of an example, this is what we ended up doing with the parrot.

"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »

for balancing we left a gap in the shield, gave it a worse shield ratio than the paragon, more armor than the paragon
"Watch me"

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

Nice idea. I'll balance my stuff off of stock too, when I get around to it. Currently working on the Artifact. All the big ships come first! :)

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 12:53:47 PM »

I might make installation of the custom weapons mod be required for this mod. That way, it will only work with that mod installed but on the other hand I'll have lots of new toys to play with on some funky variants. ;)
it would be great

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

OP updated with a vision of the mod's future, a teaser picture (the Arachae one), updated ship lore and more. ;)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Managed to squeeze it into the campaign through save game editing, and did a lot of balancing on it just to get an idea of how it'd perform. It's awesome! Just need to fix hull boundaries now, as I made a little mistake there which nearly makes it invincible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:48:59 AM by SUXpanD »

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile

Holy crap love how you took medikohls sprites and made an entirely new faction out of it. Looking forward to crushing them ingame as hegemony!

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Holy crap love how you took medikohls sprites and made an entirely new faction out of it. Looking forward to crushing them ingame as hegemony!
I think four or five more people could get away this before I'm out of sprites....Damn I do stupid things when I drink.
"Watch me"

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

I found some new ships while scavenging the Spiral Arms sprite thread. Quotes follow!

crate freighter

WideR (XpanD: To be called the Cross if I can add it)

Swarmer

These are well-designed, and would tie in nicely with the theme. The Crate is a little bit hit-and-miss, but it would fill a key role within this new faction and I think I can make it work. I've sent Arcibalde a PM to ask whether I can use his WideR (to be renamed Cross) and Swarmer in this mod as well. :)

EDIT: I got permission, woo! Will be writing up lore later if nobody comes up with a ship being in use already.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:12:48 AM by SUXpanD »

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Bump for 5 new ships including a capital, an updated front page and a new teaser picture.

6 ships in game so far, 2 of which are relatively balanced and in the campaign already!

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Wohohohohoh i can tell you right now that 3000 points for armor is impenetrable. I put that value on 1 ship and he was indestructible :) Anything larger then 2000 (and 2000 is extreme) is way too much and really, really OP  ;D  If you what to make balanced ships compare to vanilla that is.
Just look at onslaught he is bulkier thing there ise. If your ship is bigger then him then you ship should have more HP BuuuuuuT be aware that onslaught is low tech ship and they have more HP and more armor. This is what i'm using when making stats for ship, just compare it to vanilla ships of same tech level and class.

Or, you can just ignore me  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Those are test values, don't worry. Look at the Scorpion picture to see how I'm balancing stuff now - this is a cruiser that's bordering capital ship status, and costs about 70000 credits. I'm balancing with the core campaign. ;)

Also, I might just split off the Arachae into a separate mod for other people to work off of, and go with the Ares as my single capital. Not sure yet. The Ares is just so damn amazing right now - 10 small missile mounts, 2 large missile mounts, 14 small ballistic mounts, 7 medium ballistic mounts, 2 large ballistic mounts, 2 small launch bays and 2 medium launch bays. To balance all that armament, it'll be rather fragile (for a capital ship!) when the shields go down, making prolonged front-line fighting a very dangerous idea. Oh yeah, and it will be fairly low on ordnance points, promoting either leaving some mounts empty or going for tons of cheaper weapons.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Those are test values, don't worry. Look at the Scorpion picture to see how I'm balancing stuff now - this is a cruiser that's bordering capital ship status, and costs about 70000 credits. I'm balancing with the core campaign. ;)

Also, I might just split off the Arachae into a separate mod for other people to work off of, and go with the Ares as my single capital. Not sure yet. The Ares is just so damn amazing right now - 10 small missile mounts, 2 large missile mounts, 14 small ballistic mounts, 7 medium ballistic mounts, 2 large ballistic mounts, 2 small launch bays and 2 medium launch bays. To balance all that armament, it'll be rather fragile (for a capital ship!) when the shields go down, making prolonged front-line fighting a very dangerous idea. Oh yeah, and it will be fairly low on ordnance points, promoting either leaving some mounts empty or going for tons of cheaper weapons.
I think you miscounted somewhere
"Watch me"

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile

Nope. I added 8 small missile mounts and 2 small launch bays myself, and re-purposed 2 medium missile launchers into medium launch bays. Hence the odd counts. ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5