Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Any solution for UI scaling?  (Read 13442 times)

MT

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: IntegerScaler
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 12:22:49 PM »

did not test it because did not know who runs that web-site or who did make that software.

The domain of the IntegerScaler author was registered 15 years ago. Both IntegerScaler and the site are by the same person. He is also the author of the comprehensive “Nonblurry integer-ratio scaling” article about the whole scaling issue, and one of a few people mostly active in the 4-year-long 1500-message integer-scaling thread on the nVidia forum.

Also to get easy updates

Fwiw, IntegerScaler is written in C++ and built statically with no external dependencies like 100 megabytes of .NET framework or anything else, so the update process involves just extracting the small 280KB archive that contains two executables (32/64-bit) and readme.txt. IntegerScaler also supports Windows 7+ while LS is for Windows 8+.

and those nice extra features like anti-aliasing

Antialiasing has nothing to do with what integer-ratio scaling is intended for, and the freeware IntegerScaler status makes its author free of the need for bloating it with unneeded or rarely used features.

If someone has tested both programs, it would be interesting to read comparison. Like is there differences in FPS or game compatibility etc.

There may be no performance difference because both apps use the same magnification mechanism built into Windows. That said, IntegerScaler only uses full-screen-output mode which provides the most smooth experience, while LS apparently also use the less performant (noticeably jerky, based on Windows Magnifier) windowed-output-mode for the purpose of supporting multiple displays.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:18:21 PM by MT »

warmaha

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Any solution for UI scaling?
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 01:52:07 AM »

did not test it because did not know who runs that web-site or who did make that software.

The domain of the IntegerScaler author was registered 15 years ago. Both IntegerScaler and the site are by the same person. He is also the author of the comprehensive “Nonblurry integer-ratio scaling” article about the whole scaling issue, and one of a few people mostly active in the 4-year-long 1500-message integer-scaling thread on the nVidia forum.

Good to know. I wish they (NVidia and AMD) would listen these people.

Also to get easy updates

Fwiw, IntegerScaler is written in C++ and built statically with no external dependencies like 100 megabytes of .NET framework or anything else, so the update process involves just extracting the small 280KB archive that contains two executables (32/64-bit) and readme.txt. IntegerScaler also supports Windows 7+ while LS is for Windows 8+.

Sounds very good. I did not notice that Windows version support, but that is good to know also, because some friends still use Win7. Ye, as software developer, I have been laughing about "Hello world" things that take megabytes.

and those nice extra features like anti-aliasing

Antialiasing has nothing to do with what integer-ratio scaling is intended for, and the freeware IntegerScaler status makes its author free of the need for bloating it with unneeded or rarely used features.

True, that AA has no use with games that has real pixel art or where that AA would otherwise make it actually look worse. Sure, not really needed with Starsector either, more like matter of taste with it too.

If someone has tested both programs, it would be interesting to read comparison. Like is there differences in FPS or game compatibility etc.

There may be no performance difference because both apps use the same magnification mechanism built into Windows. That said, IntegerScaler only uses full-screen-output mode which provides the most smooth experience, while LS apparently also use the less performant (noticeably jerky, based on Windows Magnifier) windowed-output-mode for the purpose of supporting multiple displays.

You can turn that Multi-display support on/off in Lossless Scaling, I think it uses full-screen output when that is turned off. Sadly, for me multi-display support is must to have feature, so I could not really use IntegerScaler if it does not support multi-display. Also means that I can pretty much check that performance difference by changing between multi-display on and off.

Thanks a lot MT for all that IntegerScaler related information, it helps a lot to know when to go for that as free option and when paying for Lossless Scaling.

MaGicBush

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2019, 06:58:06 PM »

So I am using a 1080p monitor and just bought this. The text is very small on my monitor even at 1080p sadly. If I lower it to 1600x900 as suggested it actually causes a big fps drop to 30 from 60 for some strange reason? It also looks quite a bit worse, which was to be expected I guess lowering resolution. Better scaling would be very great to have at some point. I can play at 1080, but I have to strain my eyes to see some of it or lean forward in my chair(or maybe it's just the font style). I am even wearing my glasses lol.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:08:56 PM by MaGicBush »

TankorSmash

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2020, 07:58:56 PM »

I made an account on this forum purely to add support to some sort of UI scaling/font size increase. I play at 1080p and still I get a bit of eye strain playing this game. Super cool game too!

I know it's got to be a lot of work for scaling but I'd still like to add another voice!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2020, 08:14:58 PM »

It'll be in the next release! So e.g. you'll be able to play in 1080p but scale the UI up to the same size it'd be if you were playing at 768p vertical.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 03:31:28 AM »

But will it work at 4K+?  And will zoom levels be adjusted to compensate?

The game's almost ridiculously oversized in every way (fleet-level zoom in particular feels, well, cramped, can't speak to combat zoom because I haven't had that at defaults for like, 6 years) at 3840X2160.  It's probably time to just let people zoom out to whatever, honestly.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »

It'll work in 4k+, yes.

kmac2464

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 09:02:32 PM »

It'll be in the next release! So e.g. you'll be able to play in 1080p but scale the UI up to the same size it'd be if you were playing at 768p vertical.

As someone who recently found this game, this is awesome. I look forward to a native solution to the jury rigged thing I set up to get it working for me.

As for the previous talks about the purpose of UI scaling for me it's really just being able to read the text comfortably for me. On a 4k screen all the UI and text are so small I find myself leaning in or honestly just skipping large segments of text which I dont really want to and feel I wouldn't if I could scale it up to a casually readable level.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 09:11:16 PM by kmac2464 »

Schmecko12

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »

As per the previous user, I'm fairly new to it and absolutely adore it so far, but have real trouble with the size of the UI.

A scaling option for the interface itself would be great. I don't think so far it needs to extend (for me) past the UI itself but an option to make text bigger would be brilliant.

On a 1440 screen, I have to literally lean in when I want to read something. But running it at 1440 and non-fullscreen is the preferred resolution, which I can't do if I go 1080p (as it will be windowed and the text is essentially the same size, so I have to select fullscreen.. and then, things don't look quite right).

I know it's a lot of work, just want to put another vote in the suggestion box that a scalable UI would be brilliant.

Thank you very much for the work on this game. It blew my mind that I didn't know it existed!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 09:51:50 PM »

Just wanted to confirm that UI scaling will indeed be an option in the next release!

(See here for a real brief "how it works".)

mallix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2020, 02:08:12 AM »

Was this feature cut from the next release?

Just bought the game and cant find it.

I have an ultrawide monitore native res 3440x1440

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2020, 02:22:31 AM »

The next release is still being worked on, it's not out yet.
Please don't take me too seriously.

DAOWAce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 07:34:28 AM »

Coming to a year on this forum thread.. also in the same boat.

Watched Quill18 play it, made me try it, only to find out it's incredibly tiny and the UI has me straining my eyes on my 3440x1440 monitor (and poor eyesight).

Neither that Lossless Scaling or Integer Scaler program others mentioned seem to work for me; it just expands the window to fullscreen with black space instead of scaling up.

The dev said to play in fullscreen at a lower resolution as a workaround.. but that only works if you're using a "stretch to screen" scaling option in your monitor's config (or GPU driver), and I don't because that's extremely ugly upscaling on LCDs.  Not like anyone's still using a CRT in this age, which were the only displays to scale properly.

Also..

Just wanted to confirm that UI scaling will indeed be an option in the next release!

(See here for a real brief "how it works".)

It's a bit ironic that the preview for showing UI scaling is also squint mode: https://i.imgur.com/IgQcyux.png

I can't see it clearly enough to gauge if it's still that blurry upscaling from an earlier preview.  Regardless, surely it's feasible to do pixel perfect scaling like other sprite/pixel based games do?

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »

So short of an "HD" release of the game (which would need to update all the assets to 2x the resolution; a massive undertaking), what you're already doing is about equivalent to what I would do if I did scaling in-game.

I'd pay $30 for the 4k texture pack DLC, but I suppose I can't prove how many other starfarers would.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 03:04:46 AM »

The dev said to play in fullscreen at a lower resolution as a workaround.. but that only works if you're using a "stretch to screen" scaling option in your monitor's config (or GPU driver)
That sounds like your GPU driver problem. Typical Nvidia and AMD drivers contain the option to preserve the aspect ratio when scaling. You should be able to play without any weird stretching, with black side bars.
Pages: 1 [2] 3