Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Intel Screen Exploration Clutter  (Read 4167 times)

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
Intel Screen Exploration Clutter
« on: July 06, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »

I take a lot of missions to survey planets, analyze derelicts, etc. These intel items show under the Exploration filter in the Intel screen. However, after doing a fair bit of exploration, it gets clogged up with all the locations of other ships or resource locations. If I fly through the core and gather a bunch of intel for exploration jobs, I want to be able to look at the intel screen and be able to see what exploration jobs are grouped together so I can plan an expedition to a corner of the sector. However, the screen is instead cluttered with all that other information I've picked up and I can't tell what's what.

Some of this is that I don't think intel items for resource and probe locations goes away if you salvage the probe or survey the planet (although now that I think about it I've never tested that directly and I feel stupid.)

Could exploration jobs potentially be split off from general exploration information like resource locations, domain probes, distress calls, etc?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Intel Screen Exploration Clutter
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 08:16:20 AM »

Hmm, yeah - doing something about the permanent exploration items (and the clutter they produce) is on my todo list.

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 12:40:51 PM »

Those intel items should also show up under the "Missions" filter/tab in the Intel screen, shouldn't they? Then you should be able to look at just your exploration (and procurement, though they can be easily ignored since they'll all be in the core systems) Missions without the clutter from the Exploration filter/tab.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:43:07 PM by RedHellion »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:20:21 PM »

Quick update here:
1) Confirmed that generally, exploration intel will be removed for items once they've been salvaged, and
2) Made it behave the same way for debris fields, in addition to also making debris fields only scavengeable once

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »

I assume you have thoughts on how to handle planet intel, but haven't implemented it yet? The locations of resources would be easy to remove once surveyed, but intel that is full survey data for a planet would have no such trigger, unless it were visiting the system/planet in question.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »

Ah, I knew I was forgetting about something!

Hmm. Let me just add a "Delete log entry" button to fleet-log style intel. Not too hard to clean these up yourself when you want to, since, as you say, there's no obvious trigger in some of the planet cases.

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 04:15:30 AM »

Hmm. Let me just add a "Delete log entry" button to fleet-log style intel. Not too hard to clean these up yourself when you want to, since, as you say, there's no obvious trigger in some of the planet cases.

That's great! (I have a mod I'm working on to enhance some intel related stuff, but one of the things I was struggling with was whether it would be appropriate to remove FleetLogIntel entries and replace them with my own version that has a "delete log entry" button, since it could interfere with things added by other mods.)
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds

tanith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 03:18:42 PM »

2) Made it behave the same way for debris fields, in addition to also making debris fields only scavengeable once

Do not discount the tension of repeatedly mashing the salvage key to get every last blueprint from a research station while the sizable pirate fleet spawned by your opportunistic antiquing comes emergency-burning in, otherwise there's nothing keeping you there for them to be a threat.  :)

What if: you salvage an item's debris field once, but you remain stationary and vulnerable like during a transwarp jump warm up for a discrete time, variable with origin size and complexity (small equipment cache or a Kite to Research Station). Each debris field size is salvageable for a maximum number of ticks (Frigate=1, D2, C3, B4, Mining 5, Habitat 6, Research 7), and if you disengage before completing the job, you run the risk of losing crew, machinery or salvaged items, maybe with an additional penalty if you're within sensor range of an unknown fleet, a hostile fleet, or a hostile fleet specifically pursuing yours. People like me are already going to be sitting around hitting salvage again and again until we're satisfied, but you could automate the process like this and still preserve some tension about what happens when you trip a transmitter on a wreck. (My base assumption here is that spawning the investigating fleet closer to the player to compensate for only salvaging once would not go over well.)