Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Desura Alpha Funding  (Read 10189 times)

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Desura Alpha Funding
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »

Hey!  Dev team!  You know how you're trying to get preorders for your awesome game?  You should try alpha funding on Desura!  Maybe you have already thought of this...but in any case, I would like to say that if its the right thing for you guys, you should totally do it.  More exposure is always a good thing.

Besides, you would be grouped together with other big league alpha/beta indie titles like Project Zomboid, Xenonauts, and Overgrowth!  =O  

GO FOR IT! =D

CLICKY FOR THE EMAIL FOR ALPHA FUNDING JUSTICE!

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Desura Alpha Funding
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »

They'll be more posts like this... It'd be nice to get official word from Alex about his plans for distribution... Then we can point to his post when posts like this get posted (yes I just said post a lot).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:36:53 AM by Nori »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:19:11 PM »

This is something I'm seriously considering, but it's important to not that these things aren't free - it takes time to do, and then to support from this point on until the end of the dev cycle for the game. Think about that for a minute - that's a very serious, long-term commitment.

Right now - because of your preorders - my financial situation is secure enough that I'd prefer to spend as much time as possible working on the game, instead of working on procuring funding (a Kickstater campaign, Desura alphafunding, etc). In the long run, I think this approach is beneficial to everyone, because the game gets made faster.

Thank you all for your support - your preorders are what's letting me make this decision!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »

You're welcome!  :D  Thanks for making such a ridiculously compelling and awesome game.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:32:50 AM »

Awesome. Thanks for the response Alex. Glad to hear the pre-orders are good enough to keep you working on the game!  :) I'm actually thinking of picking up another copy for my brother.  :)

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »

I didn't realize you guys had so many pre-orders!  I know that using a digital distributor service does involve a lot of contractual agreements.  Still, it was just a thought.

In that case, I'd say just pump out the content!  It would be really cool if you could get all the way through to your release on just pre-orders.  GOGO!  I'm excited to see more stuff.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:02:08 AM »

I'll be harsh here people: Unless you have a genuine, step-by-step business plan that's more complicated than "OMG, get Starfarer on X and make $$$", I suggest sticking to speculation on gameplay and lore.

No one gives out money for free; every third party distributor require some sort of cost, commitment or time. If you've thought of it, I'm pretty sure an actual dev like Alex and crew have thought of it and ran it through their business model already. So please stop with the steam, Kickstarter, Humble Indie Bundle etc comment.

For those enamored by the sheer pulsating awesomeness of Starfarer and want to help, buy a copy for all your friends and get everyone you know and their pet dog to buy a copy FROM the website (so every cent goes to the dev).

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »

I'll be harsh here people: Unless you have a genuine, step-by-step business plan that's more complicated than "OMG, get Starfarer on X and make $$$", I suggest sticking to speculation on gameplay and lore.

No one gives out money for free; every third party distributor require some sort of cost, commitment or time. If you've thought of it, I'm pretty sure an actual dev like Alex and crew have thought of it and ran it through their business model already. So please stop with the steam, Kickstarter, Humble Indie Bundle etc comment.

For those enamored by the sheer pulsating awesomeness of Starfarer and want to help, buy a copy for all your friends and get everyone you know and their pet dog to buy a copy FROM the website (so every cent goes to the dev).

+1

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:38 PM »

You're livin' the dream, Alex.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:36:38 AM »

Alex, does your team have dedicated marketing personnel or a marketing plan for when the game approach beta/launch?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:03:49 AM »

Yes indeed - entirely thanks to the support of the community.

Just gotta make it work long-term, now.

Alex, does your team have dedicated marketing personnel or a marketing plan for when the game approach beta/launch?

Oh god, no - dedicated marketing people are for large companies. I do think about it a fair bit, though, and have a good idea for how I'd like it to go.

But, the main thing is to make the game as good as we possibly can. An hour spent coding is better for marketing in the long run than an hour spent doing actual marketing stuff, at least at this point. I suspect when 1.0 is out, that balance will alter.

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe that if we truly make a quality game, the rest will take care of itself. More or less :)

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »

Yes indeed - entirely thanks to the support of the community.

Just gotta make it work long-term, now.

Oh god, no - dedicated marketing people are for large companies. I do think about it a fair bit, though, and have a good idea for how I'd like it to go.

But, the main thing is to make the game as good as we possibly can. An hour spent coding is better for marketing in the long run than an hour spent doing actual marketing stuff, at least at this point. I suspect when 1.0 is out, that balance will alter.

Maybe I'm naive, but I believe that if we truly make a quality game, the rest will take care of itself. More or less :)

You are absolutley right. Good marketing or not, a true, high quality game stands out from the rest. Having a good quality game and spreading it on the free social medias, like for example twitter, youtube, facebook etc. will make it more popular at the cost of time only and will probably be much better than having dedicated marketing banners, ads etc.
And good luck with the game :D

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 06:46:37 PM »

Alex, I'm finishing my Master of Marketing at the moment and have always been passionate about the business side of indie game development. I'm sure you are well aware that many good, innovative indie titles suffered commercially due to simple lack of marketing/exposure.  

I'd like to offer my service pro bono in whatever capacity you deem fit to promote Starfarer. It's been my experience that simple yet critical aspect of promoting a product which people in my field take for granted is often neglected by others. Simply betting that a good product will sell itself by word-of-mouth is a lot of eggs in one basket and I'd like to help nudge the scale towards Starfarer II.  ;)  

If you are interested, please let me know.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:50:52 PM by SQW »

Muffalopadus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 12:18:58 AM »

I feel a little silly starting this topic now, but I'm glad that its provided some good discussion.

Free assistance from some sort of marketing person? Take the offer and run!