Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 91083 times)

SamusAran

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #330 on: September 02, 2019, 01:33:16 AM »

Created this account just to say this is genuinely dissappointing.
I strongly beleive you should be working towards making the game much more open ended by adding lots of scaling. The whole idea of starting new runs over and over will ultimately kill the replayability of this game. The 'runs' take long enough you get invested, this isn't really a roguelike as much as you may view it as one. The runs are too long and the game is too punishing if you don't load.

Gearing the game towards this idea of restarting just suggests there won't be enough content/story in the game to make a good sandbox and that's what you really need. I really hope you reconsider the direction of the endgame.

Suggestions
-dynamic "boss" ships that are up armed, high level captains and have unique skins
-dynamic "special" weapon generation, use a number generator and base it off player level
-dynamic "encounter" generation, more reasons, people, fleet types, places for stuff to happen, give to universe more life
-stretch your story legs with directed chaos, make the story fun in a more dynamic way. Instead of go there do this yay win, how about go here try to do something and depending on what happens the story goes in that direction. Have that direction affect things
-unlimited level cap with late game options opening up increased fleet and engagement sizes as well as simple things that let you specialize more. +speed +colony tax +signal damping +smuggle chance +manouv +vent speed and so on. Can also make enemy engagements much more unique. Opens up surprisng battles that need to be repeated. Means people can't just play super safe by avoiding dangerous ship designs.

Honestly the list goes on and on and your better off just adding *** loads of fun stuff and then balancing it based on feedback. People will have so much fun and can get really invested in their mad setups and long sector conquerin campaigns.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »

Created this account just to say this is genuinely dissappointing.
I strongly beleive you should be working towards making the game much more open ended by adding lots of scaling. The whole idea of starting new runs over and over will ultimately kill the replayability of this game. The 'runs' take long enough you get invested, this isn't really a roguelike as much as you may view it as one. The runs are too long and the game is too punishing if you don't load.

Gearing the game towards this idea of restarting just suggests there won't be enough content/story in the game to make a good sandbox and that's what you really need. I really hope you reconsider the direction of the endgame.

Hi - I kind of see what you're saying, but I don't think the two necessarily go hand in hand; what you find this direction of skills suggests about the endgame isn't actually the case :) Just because different runs can be more, well, different, doesn't mean that the game is geared around restarting over and over!

Having more variety in how you can skill up is kind of a multiplier for content (it gives you more ways to experience it) but it's just generally a good thing for all kinds of content, whether it's the procgen of a roguelike, or an open sandbox of something like Skyrim, or anything in between.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 02, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »

For Carrier Group skill, is the bonus 20% or 50% if I took a 15 hangar fleet but only used five and left the rest of the hangars unequipped?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 02, 2019, 10:04:26 AM »

Whether the bays are empty or not doesn't factor in, so it'd be 20%.

FinetalPies

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 02, 2019, 08:25:05 PM »

I didn't read this whole thread so I hope this isn't too repetitive but I LOVE story points. The idea that they can help the game keep its flow is especially great.

I only got into this game recently (30 hours of gameplay over the last 4 days...) but I'm really excited for your future design ideas.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 04, 2019, 09:59:36 AM »

Will there be bonuses for purchasing all skills of an aptitude?
Will Alpha Core still grant non-production bonuses to structures like Patrol HQ/Space Port/Battle Stations or do story points do that now?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 04, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »

I didn't read this whole thread so I hope this isn't too repetitive but I LOVE story points. The idea that they can help the game keep its flow is especially great.

I only got into this game recently (30 hours of gameplay over the last 4 days...) but I'm really excited for your future design ideas.

Thank you! Let's hope it pans out just like that :)

Will there be bonuses for purchasing all skills of an aptitude?

Not unless you count being able to wrap around and pick up more skills.

Will Alpha Core still grant non-production bonuses to structures like Patrol HQ/Space Port/Battle Stations or do story points do that now?

They still will, yeah. The story point options to improve industries are in addition to, not instead of.

crowman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 04, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »

I know asking for this is rude, but do you have a rough estimate on when the update might drop?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 04, 2019, 08:53:36 PM »

I'd be surprised if it were released in the next few months. I don't think Alex has ever given an ETA for an update, and for good reason.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 05, 2019, 07:36:51 AM »

For the updates I've been around for the release of (since 0.8) the only real indications of update ETA will be Alex's tweets - there's usually a period of playtesting that goes on for a few months that gives a hint that it's getting somewhat close to completion, and if he says he's making release candidates then the update is often only a few days away. That's my experience, anyway. Right now I'm guessing the update is a fair ways to go.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #340 on: September 05, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »

Random story point uses I thought of:
  • Between engagement rounds, partially repair a ship and restore its CR, and reload missiles
  • Allow recovery of disabled/destroyed player ships even if the player retreated from the battle
  • Free restoration of a ship, or perhaps removal of a specific D-mod

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 05, 2019, 08:13:33 PM »

Speaking of story points.... what about letting players disassemble AI cores to get them? Gamma would net only 1, Beta 2 and Alpha 4. Or maybe 2/4/6?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 05, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »

Random story point uses I thought of:
  • Between engagement rounds, partially repair a ship and restore its CR, and reload missiles
  • Allow recovery of disabled/destroyed player ships even if the player retreated from the battle
  • Free restoration of a ship, or perhaps removal of a specific D-mod

Hmm - made a note to think about these; still going through the "story points uses" list. A "repair your flagship" one was already on the list :)

Speaking of story points.... what about letting players disassemble AI cores to get them? Gamma would net only 1, Beta 2 and Alpha 4. Or maybe 2/4/6?

Generally speaking, I wouldn't want you to get story points from anything easily repeatable beyond XP; that goes against the grain of them being a resource with limited availability.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 05, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »

Generally speaking, I wouldn't want you to get story points from anything easily repeatable beyond XP; that goes against the grain of them being a resource with limited availability.
I thought it was scarce but unlimited, is there a cap to story points a player can get per campaign?

I would also argue that 1: AI cores are rare and expensive enough to not cheapen story point gain, every AI core consumed for story point is lost opportunity for rep/credit gain from turning in, industrial improvements and stable point creation.
+
2: Since experience is nothing but information and story points come from experience, overclocking AI cores (and destroying them in the process) to generate novel yet useful information is very appropriate   :P
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 09:27:47 PM by SonnaBanana »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 05, 2019, 09:30:44 PM »

"Limited" as in "you can't just go and get a bunch of it".

Plus, right now, I'm more inclined to think that there may be too many story points available rather than too few, so something like "use story points to make better AI cores out of worse ones" would seem more appealing to me :)

In addition, consider that "AI Core drop rate and availability now ties into <everything story points can do> as a balancing factor" is... probably not good, let's say. That kind of balance dependency seems like it's just asking for trouble.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33