Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 92000 times)

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »

generally in favor of these changes, but not a fan of the scaling limits on fleet bonuses.  Monofleeting should be discouraged by the combat mechanics, not by artificial caps in the skill system.

Fighter bay scaling specifically also penalizes Talon (or w/e) spam in favor of elite high tech fighters.  Also penalized for having converted hangars on your noncombat ships (why should they matter for this?).

If you want to limit the scalability of fleet bonuses then have them apply double to Officers or something.  That way the ships you assign officers to reflects your fleets focus without unduly penalizing someone who just loves missiles or fighters or w/e.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 03, 2019, 10:24:39 AM »

I am with Alex 100% that trying to solve reloading by screwing with saves won't end well. If you want to encourage players to play through a loss, do something like allow ship recovery on a loss at the cost of story points.
Some ships need SP to recover, if one of his new pics are true.

That said, if SP is harder to stockpile than money, I probably would reload too to avoid SP loss, either through ship recovery, or replacing a two SP built-in mod ship with a new ship without built-in mods that need SP to get those mods back.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 04, 2019, 03:00:36 AM »

Fallout survival mode has an interesting mechanic where you get small but noticeable bonuses the longer it has been since you saved - saving only being possible in beds.  You could reward people for not loading in some manner, like a strategic layer buff or a bonus to SP generation that gets larger the longer the current session has been running.

In Fallout eventually youd have to save anyway because you needed to sleep, there's no equivalent to that in Starsector so a session-length bonus would probably be better.

It's hard playing ironman in Mount & Blade style games. The penalties for loss are so severe and the effort required building up your forces is pretty high.  And it only takes a small mistake or moment of inattention to get stuck in a bad fight.  Games that are designed around iron man(e.g. Dark Souls) usually don't screw you over so hard. 

I find Iron Man much more tolerable in Starsector once i have a decent industry colony with blueprints i like. With Autofit i can (relatively) quickly put a fleet back together from whatever survived.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:05:04 AM by ChaseBears »
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 08, 2019, 12:10:02 PM »

If you want to limit the scalability of fleet bonuses then have them apply double to Officers or something.  That way the ships you assign officers to reflects your fleets focus without unduly penalizing someone who just loves missiles or fighters or w/e.
They're not being penalized - they're still getting a buff by picking up the skill. And the more fighters they have, the more things are affected by the buff, even if the buff is smaller. It's never penalty, it's just a bigger buff for builds that don't go all-in. And since the scaling is gradual, being slightly over the "optimal" doesn't turn the buff off (and calling that point "optimal" is pretty misleading anyway).

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 08, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »

The scaling bonus effectively means that any given fleet composition (assuming it has carriers) is affected equally by taking the skill, rather than it being more powerful the more carriers you have like the current fleet-wide carrier skill.

lwki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 09, 2019, 06:45:28 AM »

I like having the possibility to get every skill after enough commitment, as it is in the current system.
Not a fan of being limited to 15 skills, unless i missed something.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 07:51:04 AM by lwki »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 09, 2019, 07:06:31 AM »

Current system doesn't let you get everything, there's a cap of 50 levels (and 52 skill points).

lwki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 09, 2019, 07:39:19 AM »

Oh right, forgot i was using mods, sorry.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »

I like having the possibility to get every skill after enough commitment, as it is in the current system.
Not a fan of being limited to 15 skills, unless i missed something.
We will be able to edit the skill cap in the next version like we can here via a change in the settings file AFAIK.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 09, 2019, 09:34:44 AM »

Yep!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 09, 2019, 09:55:03 AM »

Yep!
I will say that this game has spoiled me on how easy it is to mod and change many things!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 09, 2019, 10:07:17 AM »

It would be interesting balance. Less skills, but better story point gain, or more skills, but more grind and less story points?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2019, 10:33:30 AM »

I will say that this game has spoiled me on how easy it is to mod and change many things!

:D

It would be interesting balance. Less skills, but better story point gain, or more skills, but more grind and less story points?

Hmm, offhand, these don't seem like things that need to trade off vs each other. That is, more or less of either seem like viable things to adjust, but I don't think more of one would necessarily mean less of the other, if that makes sense.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2019, 10:42:47 AM »

Hmm, offhand, these don't seem like things that need to trade off vs each other. That is, more or less of either seem like viable things to adjust, but I don't think more of one would necessarily mean less of the other, if that makes sense.
I think it's an assumption born of extrapolating from how things work now?  Right now, if you mod in more levels, the xp cost per level continues to increase.  If story points are per level, and increasing max level makes level costs continue to scale up, then increasing max level would also make story points harder to come by.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2019, 10:44:32 AM »

Ahhh that makes sense, yeah, wasn't thinking that through.

(Edit: you could also modify the number of story points per level.)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33