Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 91890 times)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #180 on: July 11, 2019, 11:52:28 AM »

The more ideas you have on those points, the more I want for the game to cheat against me if I use them. Do this, do that, do everything wonderpoints. If I can cheat, so should the game.

The game, any single player game really, always already "cheats". The game gets infinite fleets with infinite supplies. It cannot run out of CR. It cannot be worn down with being unable to afford repairs.

Juts as a few of the easy examples of how the game already "cheats"

The player and the cpu were never playing by the same ruleset on the campaign map anyway. This simply adds another mechanic for you to use to customize your experience

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 11, 2019, 12:08:41 PM »

Let me correct myself, then: I want the game to cheat harder, if I cheat harder. Is that better?

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2019, 12:41:14 PM »

I hope those changes will also be reflected in enemy fleet composition.. no more 6+ Battleships in one fleet as a standard.
Other than that I think those points are a nice thing.
But they should always be some flavor around with some text, a picture or something when using them where possible.

like in the pen&paper Sprawl (a cyberpunk themed one) where you gather intel and gear before the run itself (preparations).
The player than can use that intel for "oh I think I got the password for that save in a hack prior to this run".
E.G use point: You remember an code you acquired in your last salvage run (bought one on station z ... and so on)  and hope its still in use ...

Spoiler
Maybe you could add rare "special" items from salvage that are one time use for a smaller or the same benefit and you don't need to spend the story points then or can be sold.
Could add a bunch of different items for different purposes
[close]

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 11, 2019, 01:42:59 PM »

Let me correct myself, then: I want the game to cheat harder, if I cheat harder. Is that better?

My point was that none of that means anything. You cannot cheat harder and the game cannot cheat harder. The game can be more difficult or it can be less difficult. IMO the game features plenty of legitimately difficult late game challenges* and i don't think plot points are going to make those go away (though they may smooth over some of the rough edges of being caught by them before you're ready)

*enoguh so that many people cheese them rather than playing a, lets call it, organic playthrough

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 11, 2019, 04:28:33 PM »

Item Upgrade.  Something like:
  • 2x Gamma Core + 2x Story Point = 1 Beta Core
  • 2x Beta Core + 4x Story Point = 1 Alpha Core
  • 4x Damaged Nanoforge + 1x Alpha Core + 4x Story Point = 1 Pristine Nanoforge
  • 4x Damaged Nanoforge + 1x Alpha Core + 2x Story Point = 1 Synchrotron Core

I certainly like the idea of upgrading Gamma & Beta cores to Alpha cores...but you monster!, what did you make those poor Alpha Cores do to get that Pristine Nanoforge/Synchrotron up and running?

Now the newly sentient Pristine Nanoforge may be out for revenge and secretly build it's own AI fleet using your production capacity ;)

On a related note, it would be kind of cool to have some Alpha Core personality traits, although I guess that would mean doing something similar with Administrators.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 14, 2019, 02:37:50 PM »

The more ideas you have on those points, the more I want for the game to cheat against me if I use them.

One of the best 'empowering' feeling in games comes when you as the player get powers that seem like they utterly BREAK the game... aaaand then the game ends up handling it just fine, but the feeling remains. else Heart.Break() is a great example of that.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2019, 03:49:24 PM »

If fleet deployment moves towards using largely just ships led by officers, it would be nice if we could transfer officers to other ships mid-battle, like we can transfer the player's command to a new flagship. That way we can stay in the fight longer by moving our officers to reinforcements when their peak performance runs out.

J3R

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 17, 2019, 08:51:06 PM »

Sounds great. Skill balancing all sounds logical and fun to manage try different "builds". Thanks for the blog. Can't wait to try it out.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 19, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »

Story Points seem to feel more like fighting games' Super Meter.  In fighting games, you hit the enemy to build up super meter, then use it to do empowered moves or special super-only finishers.  Here, you beat up enemies, then do empowered things.

Maybe player can redeem story points for more command points in a pinch.  Maybe other combat moves or special ship systems that burn SP, like original missile nanoforge that burns SP instead of CR.  (Doubt that one would happen.)

marianojoey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2019, 06:15:35 PM »

This new system sounds AWESOME! Hope the patch comes soon. :D

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 20, 2019, 06:52:04 PM »

Weee new friends!

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2019, 11:15:30 AM »

Just 2 questions:

1. 0.9.2? Or 1.0?
2. This year or not? ^.^

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2019, 11:25:19 AM »

Alex said that it's more likely to be 0.9.5 than 0.9.2, but I personally think it's more likely to be 0.10 than either of these. And I doubt it's coming any time soon. Content update is going to be big, hopefully.

Nemestrinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2019, 03:28:48 AM »

Just signed up to say that this is the update that will finally convince me to start playing. I bought the game a couple of months ago, but I felt the skills weren't interesting enough to keep me motivated. This patch will fix this, can't wait. Any news of when you plan to release the new skills? If you include only these in the next patch to launch it sooner would be awesome.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2019, 12:11:56 PM »

Just signed up to say that this is the update that will finally convince me to start playing. I bought the game a couple of months ago, but I felt the skills weren't interesting enough to keep me motivated. This patch will fix this, can't wait. Any news of when you plan to release the new skills? If you include only these in the next patch to launch it sooner would be awesome.

Welcome to the forum :)

:-X as far as any release timing, sorry! I think I will add more than the skills into the release, though, but we'll see how it goes. Still working through a number of story-point things at the moment, that is, various ways to use them in the campaign.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33