Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 91056 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #435 on: October 07, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »

Colonies used to be MORE profitable.

Solinarius

• Lieutenant
  • Wind. Fire. All that kind of thing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 09, 2019, 09:58:44 PM »

I wouldn't miss this chance to name "Story Points" as "Farer Points," but I'm still nostalgic about "Starfarer" :)

Absolutely love the design changes and the additions! I'm not really a fan of skills in games when the game, itself, has a heavy focus on combat because that will often muddy the waters in one way or another. However, if the new system really does promote unique experiences as apposed to being generic progression for the sake of progression, then I'm STOKED!!

Is there any chance that—instead of reducing beam range—High Scatter Amplifier's balance factor could just reduce damage the further a beam travels? That'd be a bit more organic. Also, I think short beams just look plain silly ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:55:38 AM by Solinarius »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 14, 2019, 08:32:35 AM »

I wouldn't miss this chance to name "Story Points" as "Farer Points," but I'm still nostalgic about "Starfarer" :)

:)

Absolutely love the design changes and the additions! I'm not really a fan of skills in games when the game, itself, has a heavy focus on combat because that will often muddy the waters in one way or another. However, if the new system really does promote unique experiences as apposed to being generic progression for the sake of progression, then I'm STOKED!!

Thank you - that's the hope, yeah, though one can certainly take the "just progression" route as well. What I think I'd expect to see is "progression (i.e. 'generic' skills) with some deviations, for any particular build", but we'll see. Naturally, open to tuning the system/skills once it's gotten some playtime!

Is there any chance that—instead of reducing beam range—High Scatter Amplifier's balance factor could just reduce damage the further a beam travels? That'd be a bit more organic. Also, I think short beams just look plain silly ;D

I don't think that quite works - if you can do hard flux at very long range, the amount of hard flux almost doesn't matter, since you can still safely burn down a target with no recourse or additional tactics on either side.

Nemestrinus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 15, 2019, 02:45:16 AM »

So how close are we to a release of the patch? Can we hope for this year?

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: October 15, 2019, 04:00:11 AM »

Can we hope for this year?
I think everyone can surely agree with this, NOPE. Only one blog post so far, no patch notes of any kind, it's gonna take a while unfortunately. But I am very curious what is being worked on right now, last blog post was more than 3 months ago.
Please don't take me too seriously.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2019, 09:31:57 PM »

What are skills that will make small fleets and frigates powerful? For the first one, we know that leadership skills give huge bonuses to small fleets. And the new Gunnery Implants granting +6% ECM when piloting a frigate.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:29:20 PM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Piranhabunny

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 15, 2019, 11:11:06 PM »

What are skills that will make small fleets and frigates powerful? For the first one, we know that leadership skills give huge bonuses to small fleets.

So much this....I am waiting eagerly for this one...

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 22, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »

I'd like to know that is there going to be skills that give unfair advantage over AI ships in combat? Afaik we got 2 skills that give advantage over AI ships in combat
Fighter Doctrine that makes your fighters take less damage and refit faster
Loadout Design that allows you to add more flux capacity or dissipation and more OP which is huge buff to player ships

I think AI ships can't get these 2, maybe they do in the background but we can't see? I just hope there wont be any skill that give advantage over AI ships

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 29, 2019, 07:25:41 PM »

Given that Fighter skills are now fleetwide instead of piloted assigned ship, players are going to assign officers less often to carriers, especially Condors, Geminis and Drovers.
Any plans to counteract this or is this okay?

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 31, 2019, 06:41:14 AM »

Does the code currently support two (or more) mutually exclusive (or stacking) Elite upgrades to the same skill? Because even if it's not in the default implementation I could some really cool mutually exclusive sidegrades as Elite skills. Having the flight deck skill elite into mutually exclusive "Bigger bonus, less decks allowed" and "same bonus, more decks allowed" for example comes immediately to mind.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 05:45:00 PM by DatonKallandor »

DarkerThanBlack

• Ensign
  • void
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 05, 2019, 02:51:28 PM »

(It's also moddable, yes, but the skills aren't suitable to "you can pick any one you want", so a "proper" change to them would also rebalance them entirely, which is of course much more involved.)

I do have to say, there's evident polish in the update however I'm a bit more concern with the narrowing down of the UI flexibility.
I've not read the entire thread, and I fully expect the first question to already be answered so sorry in advance, but I'm going to ask some specifics regarding mod-ability:

1) Can we increase the 15 level cap as to pick more skills?
2) Can we add new skills in addition to the existing ones? The new UI seems to be a little less flexible than the old one.
3) Can/will we need to replace an existing skill from the list?
4) Can the permanent hullmod limit (of 2 right now) be increased using a skill?
5) How does the permanent hullmod play with the dock exclusive hullmod? Will assigning "Expanded Cargo Holds" to a permanent slot remove it from the dock exclusive count (coincidentally dock mods also have a limit of 2)?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 05, 2019, 07:06:26 PM »

Does the code currently support two (or more) mutually exclusive (or stacking) Elite upgrades to the same skill? Because even if it's not in the default implementation I could some really cool mutually exclusive sidegrades as Elite skills. Having the flight deck skill elite into mutually exclusive "Bigger bonus, less decks allowed" and "same bonus, more decks allowed" for example comes immediately to mind.

It doesn't, no - not really set up for that in several ways. Could be possible to have stacking upgrades, I suppose (more so than having a choice), but either one would be fairly troublesome.

1) Can we increase the 15 level cap as to pick more skills?

Yes!

2) Can we add new skills in addition to the existing ones? The new UI seems to be a little less flexible than the old one.
3) Can/will we need to replace an existing skill from the list?

You can either replace existing skills or add a new aptitude (in which case the screen gets a scrollbar). The new UI is about as flexible; this is just a function of having more skills and thus less empty spots to easily fill in, rather than being something related to the new UI or skill system.

Yes! There is actually a skill hat does this.

5) How does the permanent hullmod play with the dock exclusive hullmod? Will assigning "Expanded Cargo Holds" to a permanent slot remove it from the dock exclusive count (coincidentally dock mods also have a limit of 2)?

IIRC these don't interact, so making expanded cargo holds permanent would still have it count towards the "logistics" mod limit.

What are skills that will make small fleets and frigates powerful? For the first one, we know that leadership skills give huge bonuses to small fleets.

So much this....I am waiting eagerly for this one...

Ah, I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 05, 2019, 07:58:49 PM »

I apologize if this question was asked before.
Any plans for "super-hullmods" which are only equippable by using story points, unlike normal hullsmods which can be added and removed freely?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 05, 2019, 08:42:13 PM »

I think it might've been, but, right - no such plans.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 06, 2019, 04:23:40 AM »

Yes! There is actually a skill hat does this.
Let me guess... the other tier 5 technology skill (that is not Automated Ships).  I bet its name is Loadout Design.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 33