Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33

Author Topic: Skills and Story Points  (Read 91791 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Skills and Story Points
« Reply #360 on: September 08, 2019, 04:47:55 AM »

This might be a bit too much to ask but can we get some hints about upcoming skills?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 08, 2019, 10:07:11 AM »

There's some scattered info in this thread, actually - plus in the screenshots from the blog post, of course.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 08, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »

So I've noticed that automated ships on the first screenshot are "illegal to sell". Shouldn't they be illegal to OWN? Are Hegemony officials really fine with automated war machines under alpha AI flying in their systems? How does that work?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 09, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »

"Oh they're totally manned. We hollowed it out and replaced it with crew... Buuuuut you probably shouldn't try to board it... for entirely unrelated reasons. Radiation leak... yea, thats its"

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 10, 2019, 05:28:32 AM »

Are there any plans for hullmods which are not normally installable and can only be used with story points?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 10, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »

Someone mentioned the idea a bit back! Nothing I'd call "plans", but it could be interesting. Might not be on the good side of the "interesting to complicated-to-implement" ratio, though.

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 10, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »

How will this affect colonies and effective power curve? will having to install alpha cores in everything still be necessary to get a leading edge on expedition and pirate raids?

I had a brand new colony go straight into heavy industry after the spaceport finished because I wanted to make ships I couldn't find in markets, and I had it for 60 days before the Persians sent an expedition to disrupt it for 160 days. Colonies take alot of income and money for initial buildings and upgrade and maintain, and putting high commands with alpha cores in them in every colony because expeditions, pirate raids, and ludic path cells tend to pile on as soon as you have anything of the slightest value, and you either go full on colonies with alpha cores, or you baby sit them. And if you don't have alpha cores and high commands on everything then the expeditions and pirates get through, then your colonies will be weakened and they will pile onto an already weakened colonies starting a death spiral.

Yes you can hire administrators and put points into administrator colony skills, but good administrators are usually only found during exploration and that requires not having to babysit your colonies, and not putting points into fleet and combat skills will get you killed when you eventually get sandwiched by a death fleet like 6 pirate armadas in hyperspace.

You're probably right. But bribing the expeditions gets more and more expensive each time, and having to plan to bribe the major 'civilized' factions to leave your brand new colony alone that still size 3 and only has two buildings seems like something you shouldn't need to plan for, and letting them disrupt it was the cheaper option. There's no option to not export stuff and not appear on the global market to avoid attracting their attention though, or alternatively only sell to the black market.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 06:23:22 PM by ZeCaptain »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 10, 2019, 06:06:11 PM »

This isn't really much related to colonies or the power curve there.

(You can also always bribe the expeditions away; mentioning it because it sounds like you might be overlooking that option.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 10, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »

(You can also always bribe the expeditions away; mentioning it because it sounds like you might be overlooking that option.)
If Free Port is on, the frequency of expeditions is too much for bribing to be a useful option once they reach a million per event (assuming no cores to break limits).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 10, 2019, 08:08:11 PM »

You're probably right. But bribing the expeditions gets more and more expensive each time, and having to plan to bribe the major 'civilized' factions to leave your brand new colony alone that still size 3 and only has two buildings seems like something you shouldn't need to plan for, and letting them disrupt it was the cheaper option. There's no option to not export stuff and not appear on the global market to avoid attracting their attention though, or alternatively only sell to the black market.

I think part of the issue here is Heavy Industry, probably with a Nanoforge? A simple farming or mining colony is not going to attract attention for a good long time, and it ought to be more profitable in terms of credits, too. I realize this isn't exactly the most straightforward thing to figure out.

For custom-building ships from blueprints, btw, I'd like to add some other, more easily available / earlier options for that; having to wait until Heavy Industry is viable to do that is a bit much.

If Free Port is on, the frequency of expeditions is too much for bribing to be a useful option once they reach a million per event (assuming no cores to break limits).

Thankfully, that's easy enough to avoid by toggling Free Port off :)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 10, 2019, 08:11:54 PM »

Can you make it so that turning off Free Port generates disruption/instability/reduced income or some other penalty? This should prevent players from turn Free Port on and off frequently.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 10, 2019, 08:31:13 PM »

The way free port works already discourages it being turned on and off frequently.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 11, 2019, 09:58:00 AM »

What are some story point uses which cost more than one story point? Right now, there's making improvements to industires (https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EArR2nPU4AMmfh_.jpg)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 12, 2019, 11:56:55 AM »

Thankfully, that's easy enough to avoid by toggling Free Port off :)
Yeah... not really a good option when trying to grow a size 6+ colony bigger in my lifetime.  Free Port is almost half of all population bonus.  Free Port could provide no extra income, and I would still use it just to get a large size 7+ colony as quickly as possible.  Turning off Free Port for annoyance or babysitting avoidance when my faction is more than a match for any major faction does not seem like a good idea.  It just makes the best or optimal option the most annoying to use, but the player does it anyway to get the best reward.  Basically, instead of boring-but-optimal, it is annoying-but-optimal.

If old last release Growth Incentives were back, I would only use Free Port for more income.  Now, I use Free Port primarily to maximize Growth.  The huge income boost is nice, but not the primary motivator.  After all, I would gladly destroy all of the core worlds (and income from all exports) to stop the babysitting, and the only reason not to is the immortal zombie pirates attack my colonies instead of the core worlds, effectively replacing the major factions in the annoyance factor.  I guess I could bribe, but it does not feel good, especially if it drains more money than my colonies can make due to so many events.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:11:59 PM by Megas »

Erebe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 12, 2019, 12:26:01 PM »

investing story point while raiding to have a better chance to find blueprint, that would be nice for any completionist XD
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33