Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Tri-Tachyon Corporation and the case of the Extremely Rare High-Tech Warships  (Read 5250 times)

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile

I've heard a couple questions now like "Is the Medusa/Aurora even in the game anymore?" and digging through the files, it seems like:

- The only faction that "knows" them is Tri-Tachyon
- They only have access to them when producing their own ships (not importing)
- Despite a 10x frequency multiplier, they spawn very very rarely in markets and even less often in fleets (in my experience)
- Neither is prioritized
- TT's doctrine is all-in on carriers and phase ships, with no warships

Now, the last two make me think this is definitely somewhat intended, but it still seems weird to have these ships not showing up anywhere, especially given these two description lines:

"Deemed too expensive to mass produce by most corporations and governments, it is rarely employed by the lawful authorities as a black ops cruiser. On the rarest occasion, a Medusa-class hull may fall into the hands of pirates. The usual results are a drastic reduction in system small to medium shipping, which puts a strain on most planetary and outpost economies."

"Most blueprints required to manufacture Aurora-class ships are closely guarded corporate secrets, but a few have also seen service in Tri-Tachyon fleets and, rarely, in the hands of enterprising mercenary captains."

So, here're my suggestions:
1) prioritize Medusa/Aurora for Tri-Tachyon, leaving their doctrine as-is so they still don't play a huge part in their fleets.
2) give Independents and Pirates both knowledge of the Medusa (maybe Persean League too?) with a <1.0 hull frequency multiplier (lower than the Pirate Falcon, even)
3) give Independents knowledge of the Aurora with a <1.0 hull frequency multiplier (even lower than the above)

Hoping we can see my favorite lumpy blue boys again in 0.10 or whatever's next.  :D
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

I don't know about giving them to other factions, but, yeah, this is definitely something I want to look at. They do seem too rare now.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The only way I've ever gotten an odyssey is by finding the blueprint which only happened in one of my three games after fully exploring the sector. I've managed to find an aurora in 2/3 of the three games but the rarity feels worse than synchrotrons and nano-forges, it's pretty crazy, and honestly disappointing since these are my favorite ships.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Medusa, Aurora and Odyssey blueprints are more common than actual ships. I think that in general it's a bit annoying that one faction hoards so many rare ships, that even they barely ever use! I wish pirates and independents had their own fleet generators, where they had a chance to get any pilotable ship in the game, even when they don't know it...
By the way, Medusa description is a bit outdated. Pirates can't get it anymore.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Honestly, the most outdated thing about the Medusa description is the notion that it's a scary high-performance destroyer.  That used to be true, but these days it's just... not all that.  I'd typically prefer another Hammerhead.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

High-tech warships that are TT exclusive are too rare now, due to their doctrine.  As for blueprints, I now dedicate a pure phase fleet to sneak and steal those blueprints from Culann once the more common junk has been learned.

And yes, Medusa is nothing special anymore, just a high-tech Hammerhead-like if it has the best items, or a mediocre brawler without them.

P.S.  On the other hand, anything that is not Hegemony, Church, or Pirates have all of the phase ships.  I steal Doom and others from the Independents (New Maxios).  Phase ships are relatively common, and Independents are the path of least resistance for stealing them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 02:14:54 PM by Megas »

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile

I think that phase ships should be made rarer overall, beside TT , as phase technology should be one of more harder to make , and mantain properly.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I think the high tech warships should be available to independents and phase ships should not. That makes more sense to me both lore wise and gameplay wise.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile

Or only few special indepenent bounties should get phase ships.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

AI is only competent at using Doom, any other enemy phase ships are fodder anyway.
...Which may be taken as argument to reduce frequency of AI fleets including them too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Only Tri-Tachyon has phase ships set higher than 1 for their doctrine.  The other factions already use as few phase ships as they can (short of custom blacklisting like zero Gremlins for Tri-Tachyon, which player cannot do).

I suspect factions have phase ship blueprints so they do not end up with Gremlins when they do roll up phase ships.

Independents used to have everything except Scarab and faction-skinned ships like (A) and (XIV).

(Personally, once I get Doom blueprint, I put priority on Doom and set phase ships to 2 for my faction.  Without Doom, only 1.)