Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Procurement missions should affect market deficits  (Read 811 times)

Rokiyo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Procurement missions should affect market deficits
« on: June 25, 2019, 08:28:43 PM »

Topic continued from: Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.2 "No Peace Beyond the Rim" (update 2019-06-23) (turned out this was a vanilla issue, not a mod issue)

Fairly early on in my modded Hegemony run, a bunch of other factions ganged up on Chicomoztoc and quickly knocked out the megaport and orbital works. Compounded with just about everyone else being hostile, accessibility got really low across all Hegemony markets, and down in the single digits for Chicomoztoc. This also resulted in -6 stability due to unrest and -4 stability due to severe food shortages that lasted for the better part of a year. Fearing decivilization, I spent the next few in-game months making back-to-back supply runs to Chicomoztoc, shoring up deficits while the industries were getting rebuilt.

The problem is that the severe food shortages also triggered huge procurement missions... Missions didn't to do anything to address the local deficits. For example, I had a procurement contract for 4360 food that I handed in. Chicomoztoc had a deficit 1500 food beforehand, and it still has the same deficit after. Same issue occurred when I used the food as part of an unrest relief package: That food didn't actually enter the market and so didn't actually address the deficit.

While taking the missions would have made me a lot more money, ultimately it would have been a far bigger setback if the Hegemony had lost the entire planet. While I understand that the current system provides a trade-off between helping myself or helping the faction, I find it implausible that a Hegemony agent acting with the full knowledge of the local authorities took two Atlas's worth of food and resold it all on the black market without getting caught.

Lore aside, it's just not good survival instinct if a faction is generating missions that could actively lead to their own downfall (as they'll tempt players away from simply selling their goods on the market).

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Procurement missions should affect market deficits
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 05:51:03 AM »

Thanks for posting! (I was holding off till I got around to finishing my list of general suggestions)

Do shortages of a commodity increase the chances of a procurement mission for that item at that market? It feels like they do, but I can't actually seem to find it in the code.
(Although even if they don't, you'd think some of the goods would go towards alleviating the local shortage. I also assume it's not too hard to prevent the player from cheaply buying back the delivered items, if the concern is preventing moneymaking buy/sell loops)