Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Reduce TPC to 900 range (or 700)  (Read 802 times)

Max_z

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Reduce TPC to 900 range (or 700)
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »

For many reasons:
  • Steady AI refuses to use anything else, to obtain weird results : it tries to kill fightercraft with them (you got PD for that!), the Onslaught seem punier when using only it :-[
  • Somewhat out of place for a projectile Energy weapon
  • It plays sniper with the Paragon (non-beams:700*2<900*1,6)
  • Sometimes it manages to bypass shields (the two parallel projectiles slip at one or both the sides of a rising shield). This gives it a BIG advantage in AI vs AI fights

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce TPC to 900 range (or 700)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:28:36 AM »

• That's a general issue with mismatched weapon ranges, not a specific weapon issue. Still, AI pls...
  • It's a built-in energy weapon, usual rules need not apply. It also somewhat has to have that range, as Onslaught benefits from it greatly.
  • That's low-tech for you. Treat it as a ballistic weapon.
  • I wouldn't really call that an issue, more of a happy accident.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce TPC to 900 range (or 700)
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:40:55 PM »

Having long range weapons for capital ships is part of the design that make them viable. Especially true for both modular large weapons, and builtins (TPC on Onslaught). Removing the range advantage breaks the design.

Also the weird behaviour you are seeing may be due to other weapon's damage type : I suspect AI wants the most effective weapons to deal with enemy's shield at good distance, so having some 800-900-1000 range kinetic guns would help. If the ships has only high explosive guns and no kinetic (or only short range kinetic), I suppose AI will prefer TPC as shield breaker, rightfully so.