Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1541 times)

Max_z

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:57:33 AM »

• Are the "Borer" drones, used by the Shepherd, useable by other ships (drop,blueprint)?
  • Why does Increased Maintenance ups minimun crew required ????
  • Should Degraded Engines be two separate d-mods? One for the logistical debuff(- burn speed,+ sensor profile), the other for the tactical(- speed, - turn)?
  • Can player colonies be hidden? (I'm NOT pinging the location to Space Wikipedia, so why does everybody knows where it is? >:()
  • Why scrapped ships return so few resources?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:12:17 AM »

1. No, they are built-in only. Mining pods serve a similar role and they're modular.
2. Because you need people to do that extra maintenance.
3. The state it is now it the intended one. If you're making a suggestion, don't use interrogative sequences. I myself think that if it was split like that, tactical debuff would be much less meaningful.
4. No.
5. Balance? I'm not sure. It's still more than selling them.

Max_z

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »

Thanks for the answers
1. Problably I confused them (will be more carefull about the shape)
2. That's a non-ignorable running cost addiction for bigger ships as you could end paing more salaries than monthly supplies cost (with the d-mod an Onslaught forces to get Efficiency Overhaul)3. If/when the d-mod will be more hassle than worth, then I'll ask around in a Suggestion topic if it's appropriate some tweaking
4. Just felt strange that a single mod changes so many values
5. I'll do some experiments to check the variables (CR, d-mods, ship skin, equipped weapons)

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »

Additionally:

2. As SCC said, and yes it as a non-ignorable additional cost. Part of what makes that d-mod so painful, and basically makes Efficiency Overhaul a must (rather than just really good) on ships that have it (especially Cruisers and Capitals).

3. This is pretty subjective, but imo it seems about the right level compared to other d-mods where it is. And as SCC said, it's as intended currently so no it's not a bug.

4. Unless you were late-game and had other very profitable colonies which could entirely supply the hidden colony via in-faction imports/exports, hiding the colony would also probably kill it since it would need to be listed on "space wikipedia" for other factions' traders to know where it is. Ignoring flavour reasoning like other factions finding out because they're curious why all these trade convoys of yours are flying off to an uninhabited system.

5. You'll also get more resources if you bring Salvage Rigs or Shepherds (both of which have the Salvage Gantry built-in hullmod) and take the Industry skill for salvaging (I forget the exact name). Not sure the exact variables which control it, but I think supplies/heavy machinery/fuel are based on the number/size/CR of ships you destroy/disable (similar to scrapping them from your fleet screen). Then you get some random rolls on the equipped weapons of destroyed/disabled ships, and anything which was in the fleet's cargo depending on how much % of the total cargo capacity you destroyed/disabled.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 01:59:15 AM »

2. As SCC said, and yes it as a non-ignorable additional cost. Part of what makes that d-mod so painful, and basically makes Efficiency Overhaul a must (rather than just really good) on ships that have it (especially Cruisers and Capitals).
Just want to point out that while Increased Maintenance is always an additional cost of running that ship, there are 2 skills available, which if both are taken will reduce the supply cost of a ship with IM to below that of a pristine version. And further decrease that cost for every additional d-mod.

The main part of the mod that everyone always ignores is that it gives you a ship with no additional loss of combat ability, with the only cost being extra maintenance. Which can be mitigated with skills. And since many people will avoid taking these skills due to not being 'optimal', they suffer the full effects of the mod, which tbf are p. bad.

tl;dr
IM is bad if you don't take certain skills.
IM is entirely ignorable if you do take those skills.
Which skills in particular, and whether they are 'worth' being taken will be left as an exercise for the OP.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »

The skills that do that are both tier 3 skills, so that's 9 skill points. That's a really big investment to essentially get access to more ships with approximately the same or slightly lower power level.