Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: No mouse clicks  (Read 1808 times)

neptix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
No mouse clicks
« on: June 15, 2019, 06:05:37 AM »

Just downloaded 0.9.1a, isntalled it, and I have no menu control.  Clicking does nothing, and I can't even use the keys to move through the selections.  Pressing escape and then enter quits the game, but that's all I can do.  I restarted in windowed mode, and everything works fine.  Any ideas?

Edit:  I have to reduce the resolution as well as uncheck the fullscreen button, otherwise it does fullscreen anyway, with ensuing problems.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 07:08:23 AM by neptix »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: No mouse clicks
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 07:18:30 AM »

You have a decent workaround, in running windowed mode at native “full screen” resolution - game should run with an undecorated window so effectively full screen.

Not sure about the other issue though, sorry.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

neptix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 07:33:12 AM »

It's not workable at all, I can't run at native resolution, or it fullscreens, whether or not I check the fullscreen box.  I have to set a lower than native resolution to actually get windowed mode to work. I tried changing the settings json to see if a decorated window in native resolution would work, it did not.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »

Edit:  I have to reduce the resolution as well as uncheck the fullscreen button, otherwise it does fullscreen anyway, with ensuing problems.

If you run at native resolution with fullscreen unchecked, it'll run in windowed mode but without borders, so it'll look like fullscreen while still being windowed. But since you still get the same issue, apparently it's not 100% caused by being in fullscreen mode... hmm.

Can you try running the game in administrator mode? Nothing has really changed in the game as far as handling input, so this seems like it would have to be something related to your system. I'd look at whatever other programs you have running, and then see if turning them off helps. Also, if you haven't tried this already: a reboot would be a good thing to try. As would running the game in compatibility mode for windows 7.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »

@neptix What platform are you playing on?

Do you have additional input devices or controllers connected?

neptix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 12:49:46 PM »

I'm running on a laptop with Windowd 10, just using a mouse.

Tried rebooting, administrator mode, win 7 compatibility mode, win 8 compatibility mode(it crashed on this one). Same problem.  It's as if it's somehow partially losing focus?  Because the mouse cursor works, but I also can't navigate the menu using the keyboard, nothing is selected.  Esc is the only key that does anything.

It worked perfectly on the previous build, and I'm not sure what has changed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »

You can't navigate the main menu using the keyboard, btw, that's not something the game lets you do - so that specifically isn't an issue.

Hmm. The fact that escape/enter works means that most likely keyboard input in general is fine (since those are the only two keys the main menu would respond to anyway), and that the problem is with the mouse not registering clicks.

I can't think of anything that has changed in the game as far as that's concerned, and that fullscreen vs not makes a difference also makes it seem like something system-related. Are you able to test whether the previous version of the game *currently* has this problem on your system or not? If it doesn't, that might narrow it down to something about how the game is being run, though I'm not sure how that'd help, though it'd be an interesting data point.

Also: if you run the game in dev mode (data/config/settings.json, set devMode to true), you can press 1/2/3 in the main menu to instantly get into a couple of quick test missions. How the game behaves in those (i.e. whether you can fire using the mouse etc) might point us in a useful direction.

Also: did you happen to get a new mouse and/or install new mouse or other input drivers recently? I seem to remember something like that causing an issue a while back, though I can't find the thread.

It's as if it's somehow partially losing focus?

That might be a possibility, actually! Depends on what else you've got running in the background; sometimes other programs will do that. Might also run a virus check just to make sure it's not something malicious...

neptix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 06:20:36 PM »

Does dev mode have any additional file checks, etc?  Because turning on dev mode has fixed the problem.  When I turn it off again, it stays fixed.  I've tested a number of starting configurations since then, resolutions, fullscreen, dev mode, decorated window, etc.  I can't reproduce the error again.  So, good for me, bad for troubleshooting for other people.

I wasn't able to test in on a previous version, as I overinstalled the new one.  Sorry to take up your time, I loathe intermittant errors.

Starsector is the game that got me started on game programming, so thank you.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:49:37 AM »

Glad you got it working, in any case!

(There's no reason I can think of why toggling dev mode on and off would change anything; input handling is exactly the same.)

Starsector is the game that got me started on game programming, so thank you.

That's awesome! Also, possibly, apologies :)