Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tactical interface woes  (Read 1539 times)

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
Tactical interface woes
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:51:22 PM »

This time with mostly vanilla ships! I'm trying to find my combat freighter, and this is at maximum zoom level. Now tell me everything is perfect  ;D

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Tactical interface woes
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »

While I wasn't following all that closely, I don't think anyone said it was perfect. There were a large number of suggestions on how to improve it. This situation happens quite often with densely packed ships, especially when you zoom all the way out to be contrary. Though in this case your freighter isn't being covered by other ships, but with command arrows...

Here's my suggestion: a 'ship only' toggle hotkey that suppressed everything but the actual icons for the ships.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:35:42 AM »

While I wasn't following all that closely, I don't think anyone said it was perfect. There were a large number of suggestions on how to improve it. This situation happens quite often with densely packed ships, especially when you zoom all the way out to be contrary. Though in this case your freighter isn't being covered by other ships, but with command arrows...

Here's my suggestion: a 'ship only' toggle hotkey that suppressed everything but the actual icons for the ships.

Or just have a bottun that lists all of your ships and you can select a ship from there?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 02:25:07 AM »

That would be nice, though I am ashamed to say that I often don't know my ships' names. "That Condor with dual Broadswords and a Harpoon Pod but *** hangars" is more what I remember...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. Could use Q/W for a couple of different sets of overlays; would have to think through the details, though. Showing flux/overload/etc could be useful, as well - hard work it into the existing indicators without it getting too crowded, but with toggles, it could be an option. Made a note to take a look at some point!

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 08:35:49 PM »

Thanks Alex. I don't think it's possible to have a mode (like the current one) where you manage to stay crystal clear while having everything shown at once. As you know, too many information kills the information.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 08:54:54 PM »

Looking at the screenshot, I feel the ship command arrows would look considerably better and more "sci-fi" if they were
- narrower
- of uniform width and opacity along their length
- stippled with animation (something like this but smoother)

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 10:17:00 PM »

I'd like to chime in with this: Could we have the range bracket overlay turned into a switch that can be permanently toggled off, rather than having to do it every... single... battle?

Athena X

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 04:24:28 AM »

That would be nice, though I am ashamed to say that I often don't know my ships' names. "That Condor with dual Broadswords and a Harpoon Pod but *** hangars" is more what I remember...

Same.

I like the idea of a way to toggle if I’m trying to select a particular ship.  It’s not always a problem, but it’s frustrating when it is (because I’m usually trying to tell someone to retreat).  I can’t recall what game I’m thinking of, but I’ve played things where you can toggle all the information off so you just have your units and the names.  That way you can see and select the correct ship.