Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.9.1a is out! (05/10/19); Blog post: Painting the Stars (02/07/20); Updated the Forum Rules and Guidelines (02/29/20)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Hyperdrive 1.1.2 - Fast and engaging long distance travel  (Read 27041 times)

Shuka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [0.9.1a] Hyperdrive 1.1.1 - Fast and engaging long distance travel
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2020, 07:50:02 AM »

Thanks Dimzski for the breakdown, it took me awhile to figure out exactly what W did despite it being so obvious.

I don't mind hyperdrive revealing my identity, I just didn't realize it worked like that and wondered why entities knew who I was. I'm seeing a pattern of bad reading comprehension on my part maybe? lol

It can be used tactically by the AI and sometimes really helps their fleets defend a location no matter how I try and lure them away. I see this as intelligent behavior and think its great. I haven't had trouble avoiding fleets that jump on me. Effective but inaccurate, lots of close calls but still feel in control of the situation. 

I think the weird fleet movement dimzski referenced might be the animation. Like I can see the waves animation but the fleet hasn't appeared on sensors, and when the fleet enters sensor range it is not where I assumed it would appear according to the animation. I view it as an anomaly of warp travel.

I thought this mod would cheapen the experience but actually really enjoying it and think it adds to the game rather than subtracts. Good work man.

Sundog

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [0.9.1a] Hyperdrive 1.1.1 - Fast and engaging long distance travel
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2020, 09:12:35 AM »

I don't mind hyperdrive revealing my identity, I just didn't realize it worked like that and wondered why entities knew who I was. I'm seeing a pattern of bad reading comprehension on my part maybe? lol
Heh, well I think the biggest problem is that there was no mention of the identity revealing mechanic when I released the mod initially (at least I'm pretty sure?). That lack of transparency, coupled with the counter-intuitive nature of the mechanic, made it seem like a bug. The fact that it seems pointless at first doesn't help either.

It can be used tactically by the AI and sometimes really helps their fleets defend a location no matter how I try and lure them away. I see this as intelligent behavior and think its great. I haven't had trouble avoiding fleets that jump on me. Effective but inaccurate, lots of close calls but still feel in control of the situation.
Ah, excellent! That's exactly what I was going for. Glad it works out that way in your case  ;D

I think the weird fleet movement dimzski referenced might be the animation. Like I can see the waves animation but the fleet hasn't appeared on sensors, and when the fleet enters sensor range it is not where I assumed it would appear according to the animation. I view it as an anomaly of warp travel.
That makes sense. I'll have to keep an eye out for things like that happening.

I thought this mod would cheapen the experience but actually really enjoying it and think it adds to the game rather than subtracts. Good work man.
Thanks!  ;D
I'm always paranoid about installing mods that seem so useful/overpowered that they might trivialize aspects of the game, so I tried to be careful to avoid that in this case.

Sundog

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [0.9.1a] Hyperdrive 1.1.2 - Fast and engaging long distance travel
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2020, 08:17:02 PM »

Hyperdrive 1.1.2
Compatible with all previous versions

Fixed throttling messages sometimes being shown several times in a row
Added "Too close to warp - resuming max burn" message to explain why burn level throttling stops when too close to the target
Added "fuelConsumptionMultInNormalSpace" setting, allowing hyperwarp to consume fuel outside of hyperspace when configured to do so (off by default)
Changed: Hyperwarp cooldown now finishes immediately when transitioning to or from hyperspace

This update is also a bit of a test-run for transitioning to a new repository host, so please let me know if you have any issues downloading the mod.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]