Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a-RC8] Crash to Desktop on Save  (Read 6852 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a-RC8] Crash to Desktop on Save
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 07:43:13 PM »

Another thing to consider is if that it is VRAM issues? Depending on how many other programs, what programs, and how many browser tabs and what pages they are loading available VRAM can vary massively!

So LAJ, I would strongly recommend stating here for the sake of all of us what your video card is.

LAJ-47FC9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 08:12:10 PM »

I was going to say that all that data should be available in the OP, but it looks like I forgot to include it. Whoopsies! DxDiag output incoming.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pandora

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »

if that is the problem, wouldn't a rollback fix this? Simply downdate the necessary drivers after checking if they have recently updated.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 11:27:52 PM »

Your laptop has both an IGPU, and a GTX 1050m present. The 1050m only has 2gb of VRAM which is woefully out of date, and do you even have it set to use that card and not the IGPU? And if it is using it, have you checked how much VRAM is being used?

LAJ-47FC9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2020, 01:20:55 AM »

Saving seems to work again, so yay? I wish it wouldn't be so darned inconsistent.

Your laptop has both an IGPU, and a GTX 1050m present. The 1050m only has 2gb of VRAM which is woefully out of date, and do you even have it set to use that card and not the IGPU? And if it is using it, have you checked how much VRAM is being used?
Since you mentioned it, I went and checked, and everything is set to use the proper card. Which, actually, might be part of the problem. VRAM utilisation before I booted up Starsector was about 0.6/2GB, shot up to 1.8/2GB once I booted up Starsector and has been holding steady there since. I wish Task Manager would tell me exactly what bloody tasks were using what amounts of VRAM, rather than just a vague "here's how much you're using ^-^", but that's life, I guess.

EDIT: Never mind, it's being a pain again! And I'm running out of mods that I can live without, too.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:24:41 AM by LAJ-47FC9 »

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 10:46:22 AM »

nvidia-smi program can tell you exact VRAM usage.It can be found in directory with installed NVIDIA drivers. Usually C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »

Saving seems to work again, so yay? I wish it wouldn't be so darned inconsistent.

When you have a card with so little VRAM, that is just how it is gonna be as games fight the OS and other programs that are running for what little it has. Run as few other things as possible and it will help! Shut off your web browser, all other programs etc etc.

Pandora

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 05:12:21 AM »

You can try and run your pc on compatibility mode and the game as an admin... It's just about the last thing I can think of that would prioritize a running program instead of a background one...

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2020, 09:36:21 AM »

The crash comes from Imperium mod. Remove the mod and you can save the game normally.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2020, 05:25:24 PM »

No, the crash does not come from II. The problems stem from extremely low end system and too many mods for its specs. It isn't the fault of any specific mod.

Basically as I said across several of my posts in this thread.

cavebird

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »

Hi all, I'm experiencing what I understand is a common issue. It appears that my game crashes when I save more than once per time I have opened the game. This is better than before, where I couldn't save it once at all. This is the information I have:

My PC: - Windows 7 x64 - 12 GB RAM (8 earmarked for Starsector) - 2 GB VRAM

Fixes attempted - More RAM to game - Updated drivers - Disabled certain GraphicsLib settings - Disabled processing messages during saves on config

Mods List: https://imgur.com/yBHl5kA

Log Text of crash: "3214278 [Thread-4] INFO exerelin.plugins.ExerelinModPlugin - Before game save 3214278 [Thread-4] INFO com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager - Saving to ..\saves/save_MattLunar_6561116485235978296... 3214278 [Thread-4] INFO com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager - Saving stage 1 3214279 [Thread-4] INFO com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager - Saving stage 2 3214279 [Thread-4] INFO com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager - Saving stage 3"

If anyone can shed some light on what can be done to help out here, that'd be great. I think it must have something to do with a lack of VRAM or something, so is there any GraphicsLib items that are particularly VRAM heavy to disable, or any mods that are a "mod too far" in your opinion?

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2020, 11:48:46 PM »

Looks like you're running out of VRAM to me.
I had 2gb VRAM card myself - my modlist was way smaller and I had to set GraphicsLib to compability mode.
Remove few faction mods / ship packs you have (try around 10) - it will lower amount of VRAM Starsector needs and you shouldn't get crashes when saving.
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

mvamorim

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 04:01:50 PM »

Someone said to remove Imperium. And it worked for me. My mods list is kinda big and never had this problem with saves before.
Pages: 1 [2]