Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [0.9.1a-RC8] Crash to Desktop on Save  (Read 6888 times)

LAJ-47FC9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a-RC8] Crash to Desktop on Save
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »

Hi, forum! Hate to make a bug report, but here goes.

Ever since installing the newest version and modding it up to my satisfaction, I've had an unusual bug where, upon attempting to save, the game freezes for a moment before a crash to desktop. No error, and the last thing that appears in the log is the following:
Code
201984 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving to ..\\saves/save_DAR2CA14_8055094562002000336...
201985 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving stage 1
201986 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving stage 2
201986 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving stage 3

My modlist is in the following image: https://puu.sh/DAG4C/b1a7af8ab7.png
As recommended in another thread, I've attached an hs_error_pid***.log to the post.

Attempted fixes:
  • Changing memory allocation to 4 or 6 GB - Didn't work.
  • Setting "processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading" to false in data/config/settings.json - No dice.
  • Disabling GraphicsLib through its config - Nope.
  • Running as admin - Nada.
  • Changing resolution from 1920*1080 to 1600*900 - Narp.
  • Updating graphics drivers - Negative, Ghostrider.
  • Run in compatibility mode - Bingo!
As you might be able to tell... I'm at a total loss for how to fix this. I've tried every fix suggested to me, and no results. Anybody have better ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 08:42:56 PM by LAJ-47FC9 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a-RC8] Crash to Desktop on Save
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 10:19:37 AM »

Welcome to the forum! (Despite your first post being a bug report, jeez :))

Looking at the hs_err file, this is a crash in the NVIDIA graphics driver.

I'd suggest turning off GraphicsLib through its settings file, but you'd already tried that.

Ditto on the graphics drivers - though if you already had the latest version of the drivers, going back to an older version might help. It's not all that unusual for a new driver version to introduce new errors.

Have you tried running in fullscreen vs not? Also, messing with the compatibility mode settings for the application might help. (Right click on icon, Properties, Compatibility tab.)

LAJ-47FC9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:42:26 PM »

Aha! Running in compatibility mode for Windows 7 seems to have done it! Your help is much appreciated, Alex, thank you ^-^

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 08:55:02 PM »

Awesome! Weird that it would need that, but glad you got it resolved.

Andaius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 12:26:42 AM »

I'm having the same issue. Same log entries I was getting the crash with just Imperium lazygib and graphicsgib only with 4g allocated. I tested by trying to save the game right after it loaded in. Disabling graphicslib via it's graphic option seemed to work but with I loaded other mods in it crashed still.

Running windows 7 with 8g memory
 Nvidia Geforce GTS 450

EDIT: Funny thing, It seems to be working now, I tried to update the nvidia drivers via the device manager as a shot in the dark instead of looking up my card on google and going to nvidia's page at my card and manually getting the recommended one. I even modded graphics lib back to true, and the start new game and save right away test seems to have worked this time. I'll update later on I guess since it's past midnight....man bug fixing makes time fly it seems... XD
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 12:48:14 AM by Andaius »

MaxNogard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 02:33:46 AM »

...Funny thing, It seems to be working now, I tried to update the nvidia drivers via the device manager as a shot in the dark instead of looking up my card on google and going to nvidia's page at my card and manually getting the recommended one. I even modded graphics lib back to true, and the start new game and save right away test seems to have worked this time. I'll update later on I guess since it's past midnight....man bug fixing makes time fly it seems... XD

Hi guys, first post. I just wanted to say that i was having the same issue, but this up here looks to have solved the problem...

My system is running windows 7 - 8g mem
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti

As the others disabling Graphics lib, vmparams, etc... the only thing that worked was reducing the faction mods to one or two...

So insted of downloading the driver, i asked windows to try to update. It got an older version of the driver (9.18.13.1422 from 14/03/2013 - the driver i had before was from 2018)... Now i can save without crashing.

I will keep testing, but before i go i must say that i noticed an increse in my memory usage in game after the drive change

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 07:55:31 AM »

Hi - welcome!

That card looks like it's only got 1 gig of video memory, right? That's very much on the low end of things and that looks like why it was a problem. I suspect the driver version you have now is able to use regular RAM as sort of an extension of VRAM (something integrated graphics cards commonly do), which is why it's 1) able to work and 2) you're seeing increased memory usage.

MaxNogard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »

Yes, it's the only card that i could make work with my old rusty bucket here. (i have to upgrade the entire system, i know =( ) But it was interesting to know that my card wasn't doing what it was supposed to do...

It was difficult to understand why the game can run smoothly and crash while saving because of the video card, until i saw your explanation about changing threads on another post.

So, just for "testing purpose" i installed some factions mods on my game... How many? Well... EVERYONE!!! I installed basically every faction updated to 0.9.1 (minus one or two)...

And the ship packs...

And Nexerelin...

And Vayras Sector.

It is STILL working smothly.

I will keep testing and checking the memory usage as the game progress. For now it peaked at 1.2g used when there was many ship bubles on screen but scaled back to 600m... i think it's acceptable for now...

Anyway, thanks for the work with with this game. I already sunk more hours than i should on it (many, many more). I'm loving it  ;D

Andaius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 08:18:32 AM »

Hmmm I too can run the game pretty smoothly while playing but it seems saving is still unstable. played for a few hours yesterday and it crashed while saving, with no starsector crash log just a generic windows "java stopped working" seems it's hit or miss for me still. If the game will randomly save the game or crash. It's kinda hard to make progress and enjoy when you don't know if your going to be reset back all your time seemingly at random.

The mods I'm running are:
Another portrait pack
Audio Plus
Black rock
combat chatter
common radar
console commands
Dassult-Mikoyan
Diable
Girls frontline Portrait
Graphics lib
Lazy lib
Magic lib
Imperium
Nexerelin
portrait pack
scy
shadowyards
ship/weapon pack
underworld
skillup
speedup
starship legends
underworld
upgraded rotary weapons
version checker

Is that too many mods for 4 gb?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 01:55:01 PM »

4gb should be fine but if you have a graphics card that has low VRAM (1-2gb) and is able to use system RAM when it doesn't have enough VRAM, that could be a problem. Something that could help there is turning off GraphicsLib via its settings file - afaik that should reduce VRAM use by something like 20-30% and thus reduce spillover into RAM, if that is indeed the issue.

Andaius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »

Well that could be the culprit, since I just looked up my card and it does have only 1 gb of memory. 

LAJ-47FC9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 11:50:12 PM »

Welp, posting in here because it's happening again. (Sorry mods, would much rather necro than make Yet Another Thread for my issues)

Attempted fixes:
  • Changing memory allocation to 4 or 6 GB - Didn't work.
  • Setting "processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading" to false in data/config/settings.json - No dice.
  • Disabling GraphicsLib through its config - Nope.
  • Running as admin - Nada.
  • Changing resolution from 1920*1080 to 1600*900 - Narp.
  • Updating graphics drivers - Negative, Ghostrider.
  • Run in compatibility mode - No joy.

"Active Mods"
{"enabledMods": [
  "anotherportraitpack",
  "raccoonarms",
  "automatic-orders",
  "lw_autosave",
  "timid_admins",
  "Boggled Terraforming",
  "CaptainsLog",
  "chatter",
  "lw_console",
  "istl_dam",
  "diableavionics",
  "DisassembleReassemble",
  "HMI",
  "HA",
  "Imperium",
  "kadur_remnant",
  "lw_lazylib",
  "logisticsNotifications",
  "MagicLib",
  "Neutrino",
  "sun_new_beginnings",
  "nexerelin",
  "ORA",
  "sun_ruthless_sector",
  "SCY",
  "secretsofthefrontieralt",
  "SEEKER",
  "swp",
  "bonomel_skilledup",
  "sun_starship_legends",
  "Boggled Station Construction",
  "Sylphon_RnD",
  "TORCHSHIPS",
  "underworld",
  "US",
  "vayrasector",
  "lw_version_checker",
  "shaderLib"
]}
[close]

As always, hs_err_pid file is attached.

Why must you do this to me, game D:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »

How much VRAM do you have? If it's 1-2 gigs, then it's possible that this just isn't enough for the mod set.

LAJ-47FC9

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 05:51:19 PM »

The thing is, it was enough just a couple of days ago. The game was working just fine, and then in the same day, between restarts of the game, it wasn't. No changes made to modlists.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »

Someone else had a similar problem recently - it was fine one day and then, with the same modlist, it wasn't. I suspect an automatic driver update might be to blame...
Pages: [1] 2