Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Why is the game running better on my integrated graphics than my Nvidia?  (Read 2487 times)

chaincat

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Specs:

Windows 10 64 bit
Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz
16 GB RAM installed
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

Whenever I launch the game using my Nvidia, I'm looking at 90% idle and 15 FPS. With my integrated (intel hd 530 I think) I get ~43% idle on average and 63 fps. This is with no mods. Can someone explain what's happening or help walk me through figuring it out? Is it actually swapped for some reason? Is my Nvidia not running at sufficient capacity for some reason?
Furthermore, I am of the opinion that Jangala must be destroyed.

Lord Asriel

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I'm affected by this too, with similar specs, though a slower nVidia card:

Windows 10 64 bit
Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz
32GB RAM installed
Intel 530
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Intel graphics run pretty smooth (40-60fps with dips if combat gets crazy), whereas the nVidia card is a stuttering mess even just flying around empty space in the campaign . I'm playing in fullscreen mode on an external monitor plugged into a laptop at 1920x1200 if that matters.

For reference, other games run fine on my nVidia card, or at least as good as could be expected for a mobile part :)

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile

Could be your power options maybe? Make sure you're on max performance. And plugged in on a laptop. That should cause problems with other games too though.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

SS doesn't run from the starsector.exe file; it runs from the java.exe file. The first one is just the launcher. Said java exe is here: "..\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre\bin\java.exe"
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I had this problem recently and fixed it.  The latest NVida drivers released to fix a bad security flaw introduced this. I'm pretty sure it's a Java OpenGL thing since Minecraft exhibits exactly the same behavior (which is good, if MC has this issue, NVidia might fix it).

So how do you fix/work around this now?  You'll need to ensure SS is played on your "primary" monitor and that there are no other monitors on your system.  I had to disable what the system thought was my primary monitor (not just unplug or turn it off, disable in display settings), then SS played normally.

chaincat

• Ensign
    • View Profile

SS doesn't run from the starsector.exe file; it runs from the java.exe file. The first one is just the launcher. Said java exe is here: "..\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre\bin\java.exe"
I made sure to set both to run through my Nvidia. Funnily enough though, it doesn't seem to matter what I set the java exe to, just the launcher. Telling the launcher what to use seems to carry over to the java exe.

chaincat

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Could be your power options maybe? Make sure you're on max performance. And plugged in on a laptop. That should cause problems with other games too though.
Always plugged in, max performance.

Lord Asriel

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I had this problem recently and fixed it.  The latest NVida drivers released to fix a bad security flaw introduced this. [...]

Ah, this sounded really promising. But I just tried Minecraft Java edition and got about 120fps on my primary and secondary display, with no difference between the two.

So then I tried Starsector on each display, with the other disabled (so either laptop screen or monitor as primary) and performance was equally bad either way. Unplugging the monitor similarly had no effect, and I confirmed no other displays were present in the control panel.

And yeah, just like chaincat, max performance is on (I even tried "ultimate performance" as per this guide) and I made sure that the java executable was set to use the nVidia GPU... no dice.

The task manager showed that the GPU was using maybe 10-20% of "3D" and "Copy" capacity.

It's not a big deal for me since the Intel graphics seem to handle it, but I figured I'd provide some extra data points.