Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Starpoint Gemini Warlords vs StarSector  (Read 2904 times)

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Starpoint Gemini Warlords vs StarSector
« on: June 01, 2019, 09:49:27 AM »

I saw that Starpoint Gemini Warlords got new DLC. Its a game I've watched, but never thought to buy, a lot like StarSector. Now that I've enjoyed the latter, would you recommend the former?

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starpoint Gemini Warlords vs StarSector
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 11:32:27 AM »

I played about 15 hours of SPG before I realized it was very repetitive, shallow game play. A big fleet battle you have an hour or two into the game plays exactly the same as one 15 hours in.  The ships don't really feel any different as they get bigger, your guns will do 2x as much damage but the enemies will have 2x as many HP.  It's a zero sum game that only appears to change at a superficial level, it's a green slime, blue slime, red slime treadmill.

But maybe this expansion fixes all that, or maybe there's something really fun about SPG that I missed (they do keep making them so people must like it).

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 11:41:41 AM »

I played about 15 hours of SPG before I realized it was very repetitive, shallow game play. A big fleet battle you have an hour or two into the game plays exactly the same as one 15 hours in.  The ships don't really feel any different as they get bigger, your guns will do 2x as much damage but the enemies will have 2x as many HP.  It's a zero sum game that only appears to change at a superficial level, it's a green slime, blue slime, red slime treadmill.

But maybe this expansion fixes all that, or maybe there's something really fun about SPG that I missed (they do keep making them so people must like it).
Yeah I got 2 for free and kinda bounced off of it. Also, in 2 at least, there is ONE good money maker in the game: boarding. All the others like trading and combat give crap amounts of cash. I'm talking like 10% levels. Why? because ships are STUPID expensive
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 02:28:37 PM »

An alternative to Starpoint Gemini of a kind is Rebel Galaxy (first one, not Outlaw).

DaLagga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 09:20:41 PM »

If you can get it for $10-15 then I'd say SGW is worth it.  Seems like you can get the game and all the DLC for $16.42 on Steam right now which is decent for the amount of content.  It's a completely different beast from Starsector so don't go into it expecting that kind of experience.  Like Nick said it is somewhat shallow but will still take quite a few hours to learn all the gameplay mechanics.  Game balance and progression are rather busted and you can easily break the economy to build your battleships out of platinum if you wanted within a couple of hours.  But still, I'd say you can easily get a good 20-40 hours worth of fun out of it.  I can't say I'd really recommend Rebel Galaxy though.  It's a lot more shallow than SGW with a fraction of the content.  Avorion might be worth checking out if you want an open ended sandbox space game.     

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 02:14:28 AM »

Rebel Galaxy (first one, not Outlaw).

Just a heads up for anyone on the fence about buying this, this game has the worst mouse support I've ever seen. It basically emulates an analog controller with your mouse. Suffice to say it's unplayable with mouse & keyboard.

The soundtrack and visuals were nice, but it was also super repetitive.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 11:14:22 AM »

All the starpoint gemini games have been disappointments thus far and warlords continued the trend. Cannot recommend.  If Starsector is your jam then a game like spgW will feel empty, imo.

Rebel Galaxy at least has some depth in its combat mechanics.

Avorion has a bunch of issues but it is a better choice than any iteration of SPG.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »

SPG2 Worked due to it's tight story line but Warlords is an OK game with far to much grind and waiting in the later part of the game but it is drawn out for too long.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 05:11:49 PM »

Of the Starpoint Gemini games I actually prefer the initial one...the heavy weapons are NOT ammunition limited.  Shield facings are very important and make more sense in its 2d world.

However SG2 has a lot going for it even if the late in the game it is samey.  I usually base my entire game around skilling up to capture and tow ships.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 02:55:53 AM »

Of the Starpoint Gemini games I actually prefer the initial one...the heavy weapons are NOT ammunition limited.  Shield facings are very important and make more sense in its 2d world.

However SG2 has a lot going for it even if the late in the game it is samey.  I usually base my entire game around skilling up to capture and tow ships.

Agreed. SG1 was the best