Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Don't like pre-generated debris fields, because they don't disappear  (Read 3039 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Pre-generated debris fields are the only salvagable targets that don't disappear, so players have to manually remember or write down which debris field he had been to. Would be nice if pre-generated debris field will start to disappear once disturbed, alternatively, just replace them with derelict ships, cuz the type of salvage present is pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:43:20 AM by goduranus »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Not only that, the salvage from most fields is minimal junk.

The worst part of fields that never disappear is their activity, combined with more fields and traffic that come with colonization, can slow down my computer, making an otherwise ideal colony system a chore to play through.  (In one game, I turned down a slightly closer and better system to colonize due to debris fields.)  Runner-up is the fields permanently clog intel.

Rather just have fields be limited to drops from ships, and always be unstable.

Total agreement with the OP.  Would not mind no pre-generated fields at all, except maybe that one at the very beginning of the tutorial.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

IMO all debris fields should disappear, and after just one harvest.
Being able to salvage multiple times, with diminishing returns adds very little decision making; it's just extra clicks - complexity for its own sake.

This would also solve the issues caused when debris fields overlap (and thereby remove the needed for them to coalesce).

A perfect case of where streamlining has significantly more upsides, than downsides IMHO.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Being able to salvage multiple times, with diminishing returns adds very little decision making; it's just extra clicks - complexity for its own sake.

This would also solve the issues caused when debris fields overlap (and thereby remove the needed for them to coalesce).

A perfect case of where streamlining has significantly more upsides, than downsides IMHO.

Agreed.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Couldn't agree more.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Don't like pre-generated debris fields, because they don't disappear
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 01:13:16 AM »

If they cant disappear for technical reasons - change debris field color to indicate salvage risk so player know which ones explored/expired already.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 07:07:45 PM »

I doubt there are any technical limitations to removing debris fields, but one of the disadvantages to doing so would be that debris fields also serve as a terrain feature (with detection range reduction). I suppose it might be better to somehow mark them as salvaged rather than removing them entirely, as long as there's  clean way to do so.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:15:18 AM »

+1. Pre-genned and other debris fields disappearing after one harvest would be good. Clutter is not just disorienting on the radar and the main viewer, but it's also more stuff to render and overlapping fields are an utter pain to separate.

If this was done, I would hope the overall volume of goods was upped a little bit to account at least in part for several harvest passes. There's also the thing where harvesting research stations and other similar debris well beyond the point of exhaustion may still net blueprints. Maybe the blueprint yield could be tightened a bit to account for this.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 06:28:05 AM »

While I kind of agree (and I've run into that problem with overlapping debris fields myself), I've found some of my best finds from research stations after the 2nd or 3rd Salvage.

One possible compromise would be rather than exiting to the solar system map after collecting the loot from a salvage, it loops back into the salvaging screen directly allowing you to have another go with the reduced chances (as many times as you want), and then once you choose to finish salvaging and exit this screen, the debris field will then permanently dissipate off the system map.

Alternatively if it was streamlined into a single salvage, perhaps give several options with varying consequences and difficulty curves representing progressively more thorough salvaging. 

It might be made a little more interesting if Salvaging also suggested at the presence of rare finds (non-commodities), but gave a much increased difficulty for the safe extraction of them; with more risk, not just to yourself, but the inability to safely extract the rare item/s could end up damaging or destroying them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 08:04:48 AM »

While I kind of agree (and I've run into that problem with overlapping debris fields myself), I've found some of my best finds from research stations after the 2nd or 3rd Salvage.
Just dump everything on the first try.

With max Salvaging, it is possible to get rare items on the seventh Salvage.  I spam salvage until I get no more experience from the attempts.  That usually takes about seven or so Salvage commands.

I would gladly like to see all salvage recovered on the first click and the field disappear.

One idea for stable fields to stay useful permanently is if they recharge and refill their meager loot.  A few supplies, fuel, and other junk that regenerate over a year should not be odious.  On the other hand, I would like a way to remove stable fields from a system if I colonize it, and do not want the glitter bugs slow my framerate if more get added from combat against pirates and other undesirables.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 08:58:17 AM »

I agree it would be more interesting to have a couple choices like 'high risk salvage' and 'low risk salvage' but only click the button once. That would achieve the same gameplay decision without all the other problems described in this thread. I always salvage once for normal fights and 2-3 times for stations because I am lazy and value 2 seconds of my time more than 10 supplies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 09:10:30 AM »

If those two proposed options affect rare item drops, I would always pick high-risk for rares and usually low-risk for vendor trash.  Maybe high-risk rarely if I need supplies and fuel more than crew and machines when rares cannot be found.

I guess proper salvage could take a day (like installing comm sniffers in earlier releases), but I suspect it could be slower than spamming salvage and click multiple times rapidly.  Of course, delay could make salvaging not so easy with killer Remnant fleets breathing down your neck.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »

If those two proposed options affect rare item drops, I would always pick high-risk for rares and usually low-risk for vendor trash.  Maybe high-risk rarely if I need supplies and fuel more than crew and machines when rares cannot be found.

I guess proper salvage could take a day (like installing comm sniffers in earlier releases), but I suspect it could be slower than spamming salvage and click multiple times rapidly.  Of course, delay could make salvaging not so easy with killer Remnant fleets breathing down your neck.
We would need to make fields merge then. I can't count how many times I've been ****blocked by a tiny fleet attacking me right before I'm about to savage a nice large field...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too