Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Please be mindful of the tone of your mod  (Read 6111 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Please be mindful of the tone of your mod
« on: May 30, 2019, 07:51:15 AM »

I don't want to be overly critical of content creators here, I love how the mods spice up the content of the game and god knows how many hours I have spent playing them (and you guys creating them), but it really takes me out of the game to see a character make an outdated joke completely unrelated to the sector or to shatter the tone of the game with things like emoticons on the text. I don't want to single out any mod with specific examples, that's not the point of this thread, but there is a big push in the forums to make mods compatible with each other and with the vanilla balance, please try to maintain the tone close to vanilla as well. To some extent this also applies to any extra Tooltips, please try to use that in moderation.

Moreover, if your mod completely breaks the tone of the game that's fine, I think anyone should be able to make whatever they wish, but I'd prefer that to be advertised in your mod page.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:54:22 AM by Cyan Leader »

vorpal+5

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Please be mindful of the tone of your mod
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 08:26:41 AM »

+1

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »

Really, now.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 12:01:08 PM »

My response to this whole principle is pretty well summed up as 'bite me'. If you're willing to put in as much unpaid volunteer labor as we do, then I'll start caring what you think about some fairly minor humor that sneaks in; otherwise, head on into data/strings/tips.json and comment out what you don't want to see.

Personally, I'm limiting myself to one joke tip per mod from now on, but posts like this go a long way towards convincing me to abandon restraint entirely. (For the record, none of these are mine; all of them made me laugh).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:05:11 PM by Soren »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »

My biggest issue with joke tips is that at some point, the joke tips make up the majority of them... I wish there was something to make joke tips spawn less frequently. It's fine to see them once in a while, but it's not fine when it's hard to see an actual, useful tip.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 01:36:24 AM »

I don't really mind stuff like this, so long as the author isn't being outright abusive to others. Or fasc.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 01:57:18 AM »

This serves as a good jumping off point for a post I wanted to make but didn't really want to make a new thread for:

I just wanted to thank this community for the absurd amount of high quality mod content. There are so many mods, so many of them have a lot of hard work put into them, the community does an exceptionally good job of making the mods compatible and work well with each other, and just in general it's crazy how much has been updated and created every time I start playing Starsector when there's a big update what feels like every 2 years.

The big notable guys like Tartiflette, Dark.Revenant, LazyWizard, Trylobot, some of the classic modders who aren't around as much like MShadowy, Erick Doe and HELMUT, and the newer guys like KingAlfonzo - plus a ton of other people who deserve mentions too but if I listed everybody who's mods I've used I'd run out of space - thanks for the work, tons of people enjoy it who don't get around to showing their appreciation.

I love Alex's game, and it's probably one of the best deals on a game I've gotten, but I wouldn't honestly still be playing it without the community.

Johnny Cocas

• Commander
  • Murder Wedges!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 05:31:17 AM »

Joke tips can be fun from time to time, but they are something that should be optional, not forced into the players and then told to remove them from the tips.json if they don't like them, that is the upmost lack of respect for the user, no matter how you view it.

There are lots of respectable modders who have tips in their mods to help people understand certain mechanics, and that is what tips should do: help explain game mechanics, how to play or how to achieve x goal.

We can't ask Alex to change the game so that there's a separate "jokes" file that people can enable or disable in the game's settings, nor can we ask modders to have an optional additional downloadable tips.json for those who want the jokes available, BUT here's my suggestion:
Keep jokes to a minimal amount, I'd even say 1 joke per mod, and put the mod's ID as a prefix for all joke strings just as most modders do for all the other tips, that way if some joke is tasteless people can quickly and easily see from which mod it is and act accordingly.
And please, don't come here and say "you can just do a quick search in the mods folder and find the mod yourself", I've heard that one before and once again, upmost disrespect for the user.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:00:04 AM by Johnny The Wedge Guy »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 09:26:04 AM »

Since this seems to come up with some degree of regularity, added this in:

tips:[
{"freq":0, "tip":"You can change the frequency of tips by adding a json object instead of a string, like so. For example, this tip has a frequency of 0 and will never show up. The default freq value is 1."},

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »

Since this seems to come up with some degree of regularity, added this in:

tips:[
{"freq":0, "tip":"You can change the frequency of tips by adding a json object instead of a string, like so. For example, this tip has a frequency of 0 and will never show up. The default freq value is 1."},

[Gregorian chanting intensifies]
On the left half of the Bell curve

ActuallyUlysses

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 09:05:49 AM »

Wow, which mod adds those tips? I want more where that came from :D

shoi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 11:15:27 AM »

My response to this whole principle is pretty well summed up as 'bite me'. If you're willing to put in as much unpaid volunteer labor as we do, then I'll start caring what you think about some fairly minor humor that sneaks in; otherwise, head on into data/strings/tips.json and comment out what you don't want to see.

Personally, I'm limiting myself to one joke tip per mod from now on, but posts like this go a long way towards convincing me to abandon restraint entirely. (For the record, none of these are mine; all of them made me laugh).

They clutter up what should be actually useful info and shouldn't be so frequent. 99% of the tips I see in my current game have nothing to do with starsector, if you're going to add them at least let people know on your mod page
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:11:38 PM by shoi »

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »

I'm alright with the tip humor. I haven't honestly ever found out anything from the tips that I didn't learn from playing the game. To be exact, I've found more use in the humor tips than the none because they make me laugh. Whats more is I can remember some of the humorous ones where's at the moment I'm drawing a blank for the rest. Thats kind of the problem isn't it. One tip I would have for new players is buy supplies at every port, where as a player who has been at it for a while probably has entire parts of his/her fleet dedicated to logistics and doesn't need any help managing it. Hence why I think humor tips are ok.

As far as the OP comment on mod balance and such, I agree I don't want OP ships. I want ships that fit in the universe. Overpowered ships tend to take away from the experience. Not add to it. Getting past a particular fight because you fitted and piloted a ship/fleet particularly well is vastly more fun than being able to wipe out the opposing fleet because your ship has more flux capacity and venting than the entire enemy fleet combined. Most mods do an excellent job at meeting just at, just below or just above vanilla balance. Its close enough to keep things interesting. Ever notice how strong the paragon is? How even VS many modded "vanilla balanced" capital ships it wins?  I think thats pretty great.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:53:58 PM by Alphascrub »

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »

I don't want to be overly critical of content creators here, I love how the mods spice up the content of the game and god knows how many hours I have spent playing them (and you guys creating them), but it really takes me out of the game to see a character make an outdated joke completely unrelated to the sector or to shatter the tone of the game with things like emoticons on the text. I don't want to single out any mod with specific examples, that's not the point of this thread, but there is a big push in the forums to make mods compatible with each other and with the vanilla balance, please try to maintain the tone close to vanilla as well. To some extent this also applies to any extra Tooltips, please try to use that in moderation.

Moreover, if your mod completely breaks the tone of the game that's fine, I think anyone should be able to make whatever they wish, but I'd prefer that to be advertised in your mod page.
Do you really think the future will be super serious and people won't shitpost when given the chance? Even the romans loved to draw dicks and write rude things about each other. Also those tips are right, we don't need another Onslaught recolor!
Check out my ships

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »

Huh, every one of those screenshots except for one is from my mod.  Guess I'll take that as a compliment. ??? On the upside for you, it means you can get rid of them with a single simple change to your mod folder... I think I even have a tip that tells you how to do it.  ;)

That said, there is also a warning in the forum OP for each of my mod pages about this, heh.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it
Pages: [1] 2 3